News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The earliest days of the Capital Beltway

Started by cpzilliacus, September 04, 2012, 12:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Beltway speeds, then and now

[Question]
QuoteIn 1970, when I was 18, I got my first used VW Beetle. Was the speed limit on the Beltway really 70 mph back then, or am I having a senior moment? Even though the speed limit is currently 55 mph, everybody does 70 nowadays, but at least it was legal back then.

QuoteThe final segment of the circumferential highway we know as the Capital Beltway was completed on Aug. 17, 1964. Enthused The Washington Post: "The four-to-six-lane interstate highway stretches like a broad oval speedway buckling the two states together with the Cabin John and Woodrow Wilson bridges across the Potomac."

QuoteThe paper continued: "It will allow motorists to jump from Montgomery County to Alexandria and from Prince George's to Fairfax without setting a wheel in the District. Suburban shopping centers have been waiting for the day.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cpzilliacus

Quote from: NE2 on September 04, 2012, 12:43:25 AM
[Answer] No, it was 60-65.

Incorrect.

It was posted at 70 MPH from the Md. 210 (Indian Head Highway) interchange [present-day Exit 3] to U.S. 50 (John Hanson Highway) [present-day Exit 19]
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NE2

Whatever. I didn't bother reading the whole article. This misinformation was brought to you by CP not including the answer in his post.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on September 04, 2012, 01:06:08 AM
Whatever. I didn't bother reading the whole article. This misinformation was brought to you by CP not including the answer in his post.
There will be no CP on this forum. :-P

Special K

Interesting how the article likened the Beltway to a speedway, when every time I've driven it, I could have parked and walked it faster.

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 04, 2012, 12:49:45 AM

Incorrect.

It was posted at 70 MPH from the Md. 210 (Indian Head Highway) interchange [present-day Exit 3] to U.S. 50 (John Hanson Highway) [present-day Exit 19]

Most of the rest was 65.  All in Virginia was 65 except about 1/2 mile before the Potomac River bridges, which were 60.  The curving section near Bethesda was 50, west of there was 60.

About 80% of the length is built similar to rural Interstate standards as far as horizontal and vertical curvature, as when built those areas were rural or near-rural.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Incorrect.

According to the article, Maryland's portion was originally posted at 60, but the segment you cite was later raised to 70 mph.

I was actually doing 55 mph on the Beltway the other night.....because it was raining so hard I didn't feel safe going faster.

Scott Kozel's site has this image of the Beltway between Springfield and Van Dorn Street. Quite the change from how it looks today (that overpass up at the top of that hill in the distance is the one that now crosses above the WMATA Blue Line tracks). I'm too young to remember when the road looked like this, but the image certainly underscores the comments in the article linked in the original post regarding lack of guardrails and inappropriate drop-offs. The speed limit was 65 mph. Kozel's site says the picture was taken in 1963 prior to the road's opening.

For those unfamiliar with the road, here's a picture of roughly the same area nowadays (picture taken in November 2010 per AARoads.com). The speed limit is now 55.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 04, 2012, 09:20:51 AM
According to the article, Maryland's portion was originally posted at 60, but the segment you cite was later raised to 70 mph.

All (or very nearly all) of it was 60 MPH when it was complete in 1964.  In Prince George's County, the limit was then raised to 65 MPH between U.S. 1 in College Park [present-day Exit 25] and U.S. 50 (John Hanson Highway)  [present-day Exit 19].  After the "gas lines" of the early 1970's, the limit was cut on all Maryland freeways to 50 MPH, which was later increased to the NMSL 55 MPH with a few exceptions, such as the "roller coaster" section between Md. 97 (Georgia Avenue) [present-day Exit 31] and I-270/Md. 355 (Rockville Pike) [present-day Exit 34], which was 50 MPH for many years (but now is now posted 55 MPH).

I was actually doing 55 mph on the Beltway the other night.....because it was raining so hard I didn't feel safe going faster.

The posted 55 MPH on the Capital Beltway is nearly universally ignored (except when conditions are bad).  I would venture to think that the 85th percentile speed on much of it is between 65 and 70 MPH.

Scott Kozel's site has this image of the Beltway between Springfield and Van Dorn Street. Quite the change from how it looks today (that overpass up at the top of that hill in the distance is the one that now crosses above the WMATA Blue Line tracks). I'm too young to remember when the road looked like this, but the image certainly underscores the comments in the article linked in the original post regarding lack of guardrails and inappropriate drop-offs. The speed limit was 65 mph. Kozel's site says the picture was taken in 1963 prior to the road's opening.

Kozel's site is an accurate source. 

That image looks right. for the that year.  Note that the only section of the Virginia Beltway that was six lanes (3 each way) was between Springfield and the Wilson Bridge.  Between Springfield and the Cabin John Bridge (American Legion Bridge), it was only four lanes (2 each way) through the mid-1970's.  It really looked like a rural Interstate in the 1960's (not much different from much of Virginia's I-81 today).

Remember that segments of the Capital Beltway (including both Potomac River bridges and other sections, including the one through Silver Spring between Md. 193 (University Boulevard) and Md. 97 (Georgia Avenue)) were open several years before the official completion date in 1964.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Special K on September 04, 2012, 07:40:58 AM
Interesting how the article likened the Beltway to a speedway, when every time I've driven it, I could have parked and walked it faster.

Try it between 12 midnight and about 5 A.M. sometime.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 04, 2012, 09:36:28 AM

The posted 55 MPH on the Capital Beltway is nearly universally ignored (except when conditions are bad).  I would venture to think that the 85th percentile speed on much of it is between 65 and 70 MPH.

Most of my Beltway driving is on the Virginia side during midday hours and I try to set my cruise control to about 65 mph. I don't pass many people–which is precisely why I try to hold my speed to about that level so that any cop who might be out will go after someone else.

My impression has long been that the PG County segment has by far not only the fastest traffic but also some of the most aggressive driving in terms of weaving in and out, tailgating, and general asshole-ishness.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

Incorrect.

Really? I never knew any highway in Maryland to have a speed limit higher than 65.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Beltway

Quote from: Henry on September 04, 2012, 01:02:38 PM
Really? I never knew any highway in Maryland to have a speed limit higher than 65.

They did, before the 55 mph national speed limit was instituted in 1973.  70 mph maximum for cars on Interstate highways. I'm not sure when that was enacted, or whether it applied to non-Interstate freeways.

Virginia's maximum speed limit for cars on freeways was raised from 65 to 70 in 1972, and that lasted about a year before the 55 mph national speed limit was instituted.

Back in those days there were split speed limits for cars and trucks in those 2 states, it would be 70/60 or 65/55 for those limits.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Henry on September 04, 2012, 01:02:38 PM

Incorrect.

Sections of the Capital Beltway were posted at 70 MPH.  I believe at least some segments of I-70 between Frederick and Hancock were also 70 MPH in the pre-NMSL days (I-70 between Frederick and I-695 was completed after the NMSL was imposed). 

The JFK Highway section of I-95 was also posted 70, I believe (not absolutely certain about that).

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 05, 2012, 12:47:28 AM
Sections of the Capital Beltway were posted at 70 MPH.  I believe at least some segments of I-70 between Frederick and Hancock were also 70 MPH in the pre-NMSL days (I-70 between Frederick and I-695 was completed after the NMSL was imposed). 

The JFK Highway section of I-95 was also posted 70, I believe (not absolutely certain about that).

The JFK was 70.  I-95 between I-495 and I-695 was 70.  Can't speak for I-83 north of I-695, but it probably was.  This limit was 70 for cars and 60 for trucks.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on September 05, 2012, 06:18:43 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 05, 2012, 12:47:28 AM

The JFK was 70.  I-95 between I-495 and I-695 was 70.  Can't speak for I-83 north of I-695, but it probably was.  This limit was 70 for cars and 60 for trucks.

The JFK Highway probably has a design speed of 75 MPH or maybe even 80 MPH.  What do you think?

The "Between the Beltways" section of I-95 could have a speed limit of 70 or 75 as well (except for the segment between I-195/Md. 166 and I-695).

Some members of the Maryland General Assembly want to increase the state's motor fuel tax mostly to fund two rail transit projects (one in Baltimore City and Baltimore County, one in Montgomery and Prince George's Counties).  I am deeply skeptical of the benefits of these projects, but if the tax increase were to be bundled with an increase in the state's statutory maximum speed limit to 75 MPH or even 80, then I think it might get enough support to get approved in Annapolis.

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 05, 2012, 09:01:16 AM
The JFK Highway probably has a design speed of 75 MPH or maybe even 80 MPH.  What do you think?

That the maximum design speed of freeways in the U.S. is 70 mph ... that it is an urban legend that any were designed higher than 70.

Note that trucks were typically limited to 60 mph when those roads were built.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

agentsteel53

Quote from: Beltway on September 05, 2012, 10:51:56 AM

That the maximum design speed of freeways in the U.S. is 70 mph ... that it is an urban legend that any were designed higher than 70.

current interstate standards specify a minimum of 75 in flat rural terrain.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 05, 2012, 09:01:16 AM

Note that trucks were typically limited to 60 mph when those roads were built.

Excepting the InterCounty Connector, I don't know with certainty about the design speed of any of the Maryland freeways  (as in I have not seen it from a source that I consider reliable), but Gillespie and Rockland in Looking for America on the New Jersey Turnpike did state pretty clearly that the N.J. Turnpike was designed and engineered to allow safe vehicle travel at speeds up to 80 MPH, at least for the segment south of New Brunswick.  And that was with the vehicle fleet as it existed in the late 1940's and early 1950's. 

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 05, 2012, 01:10:32 PM
Excepting the InterCounty Connector, I don't know with certainty about the design speed of any of the Maryland freeways  (as in I have not seen it from a source that I consider reliable), but Gillespie and Rockland in Looking for America on the New Jersey Turnpike did state pretty clearly that the N.J. Turnpike was designed and engineered to allow safe vehicle travel at speeds up to 80 MPH, at least for the segment south of New Brunswick.  And that was with the vehicle fleet as it existed in the late 1940's and early 1950's. 

He's not an engineer, now, is he?  I seriously doubt that a highway designed in the 1940s was designed for 80 mph.  The commonly owned cars of the day could not run sustained speeds of over 60-65 mph without risking mechanical breakdown or tire failure.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 05, 2012, 10:59:27 AM

current interstate standards specify a minimum of 75 in flat rural terrain.

I was remiss in not posting that I was referring to highways designed during the original Interstate system construction, 1956-1996.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on September 05, 2012, 01:55:01 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 05, 2012, 01:10:32 PM

He's not an engineer, now, is he?  I seriously doubt that a highway designed in the 1940s was designed for 80 mph.  The commonly owned cars of the day could not run sustained speeds of over 60-65 mph without risking mechanical breakdown or tire failure.

If you have not read the book, I highly recommend it to you, even though it's a little dated at this point. 

The authors, at least when they wrote the book, were American Studies professors at Rutgers, though it is a carefully researched work, and the 80 MPH design speed comes from the documents that were used to design the original Turnpike (and between Exits 1 and 4, is little changed from that original design).

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 05, 2012, 02:51:32 PM
Quote from: Beltway on September 05, 2012, 01:55:01 PM

If you have not read the book, I highly recommend it to you, even though it's a little dated at this point. 

The authors, at least when they wrote the book, were American Studies professors at Rutgers, though it is a carefully researched work, and the 80 MPH design speed comes from the documents that were used to design the original Turnpike (and between Exits 1 and 4, is little changed from that original design).

So they are a second-hand source.  I don't believe that highway engineers would design a highway to that design speed in the 1940s, and I stated the reasons why.  It would be unnecessary for the foreseeable future.

I was in my mother's 1949 Pontiac when she ran it to 80 mph for a couple minutes, and the car did not perform well at all, very noisy, no A/C, not good handling.  That was one of the better cars of the day.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

It should obviously be noted that regardless of the design standards used in the day, you can evaluate using modern standards and figure out the actual standards based on horizontal and vertical curvature.

Beltway

Quote from: Steve on September 05, 2012, 09:15:11 PM
It should obviously be noted that regardless of the design standards used in the day, you can evaluate using modern standards and figure out the actual standards based on horizontal and vertical curvature.

There is a lot more to highway design standards than horizontal and vertical curvature.  There is lane width, median width, shoulder width, and clear recovery zone width.  The NJTP median was only 25 feet wide when built, and had no median barrier.  It was built to no higher design standards than later rural Interstate highways, actually less.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.