News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Oldest bridge on your state highway system

Started by US 89, June 13, 2017, 10:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Quote from: Aerobird on October 14, 2017, 02:04:39 AM
At what point, though, does it stop being a bridge and start being a culvert?

The distinguishing factor is how it's built. If you drop a pipe (it can be a rectangular pipe) in the water, fill in around it with dirt, and then build a road on top of it, that is a culvert. If you build a structure spanning over the water without dropping anything other than vertical supports in it, that is a bridge.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Aerobird

Quote from: Duke87 on October 14, 2017, 11:40:02 AMThe distinguishing factor is how it's built. If you drop a pipe (it can be a rectangular pipe) in the water, fill in around it with dirt, and then build a road on top of it, that is a culvert. If you build a structure spanning over the water without dropping anything other than vertical supports in it, that is a bridge.

But what does it count if the vertical supports are later filled-in-around with dirt, a pipe laid in place?
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

Big John

Quote from: Aerobird on October 15, 2017, 07:11:47 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on October 14, 2017, 11:40:02 AMThe distinguishing factor is how it's built. If you drop a pipe (it can be a rectangular pipe) in the water, fill in around it with dirt, and then build a road on top of it, that is a culvert. If you build a structure spanning over the water without dropping anything other than vertical supports in it, that is a bridge.

But what does it count if the vertical supports are later filled-in-around with dirt, a pipe laid in place?
still not a culvert as there is no bottom piece of the structure.

US 89

Quote from: Big John on October 15, 2017, 09:22:09 PM
Quote from: Aerobird on October 15, 2017, 07:11:47 PM

still not a culvert as there is no bottom piece of the structure.

Back in the day, it probably was a real bridge. Now it looks a lot like a culvert, especially when you look at it just upstream where the creek crosses Center Street.
Also, the Larson Video and parking lot to the west were built right on top of the creek. You can see the path of the creek on satellite view. If it isn't a culvert, then this "bridge" would be 300 feet wide with a video store partly on it. That just seems weird to me.

formulanone

For Alabama, this 1913 CSX bridge in Ardmore spans AL 53 and restricts it to one lane:
http://bridgehunter.com/al/limestone/bh50057/

Quote from: jwolfer on October 14, 2017, 01:06:07 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 16, 2017, 09:28:31 AM
Matthews Bridge in Jacksonville. 1953 it was opened, as many others have perished over time with roadway widenings and such.
The Main St Bridge (US 1/90) in downtown Jax was built in 1946

Miami River Bridge on Flagler Street (SR 968):
http://bridgehunter.com/fl/miami-dade/870660/

East Las Olas Bridge on SR 842 dates from 1930 (rebuilt in 1960):
http://bridgehunter.com/fl/broward/865729/

Peace River Bridge on US 98 / SR 700 near Fort Meade dates to 1931:
http://bridgehunter.com/fl/polk/peace-river/

Max Rockatansky

The 1906 North Fork Road Bridge in Friant was part of CA 41 for one year after the original Lanes Bridge collapsed in 1940:

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Not that makes it part of the highway system or anything, I just thought it was cool because said bridge is literally in ruins below the Friant Dam after being washed out in 1951.

Beltway

Quote from: signalman on August 20, 2017, 11:48:24 AM
Quote from: plain on July 24, 2017, 02:16:58 PM
I can't think of many older bridges still on the highway system in Virginia right off hand, I'm still doing some digging. For now I will say the US 360 Mayo Bridge in Richmond (1913)
Virginia has the oldest bridge of any state by far.  US 11 uses the natural bridge.

Covington - Humpback Bridge - Virginia's oldest covered bridge - was built in 1857 and spans 100 feet over Dunlap Creek. It is 4-feet taller at its center, which gives the appearance of its humpback.

https://www.virginia.org/Listings/OutdoorsAndSports/HumpbackBridge/
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Richard3

I didn't see anything from province of Quebec, so I take a guess.

It's probably not the oldest bridge of the highway system here, but the Victoria Bridge is definitely one of the oldest bridges in the province. Its construction began in 1854, as a railway tubular bridge.  The first train crosses it on Dec. 12th, 1859.  With its 1800 metres (5905,5 feet, or 1,12 miles), it was the longest railway bridge of the World at this time.

In 1897, the structure was completely changed, from its tubular one to a metal truss one, without interrupting traffic; they install the trusses around the tube, then removed it.  They also add a second rail lane, plus a streetcar lane to the bridge.  To complete it all, they changed the name into the "Victoria Jubilee Bridge".

It's in 1927 that the Victoria Bridge becomes a road bridge, with the addition of a first road lane.

In 1956, the streetcar lane was replaced by another road lane, allowing circulation in both directions at the same time.

Nowadays, Victoria Bridge is part of Quebec highway 112, with its two lanes for cars (trucks and other big vehicles prohibited), one in each direction, except for rush hour; the two lanes are going thru Montreal in the morning, and thru the South-Shore in the afternoon.
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Hurricane Rex

Possibly oldest in Oregon but definitely in Portland: Hawthorne Bridge: 1910.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Richard3

On a local scale, the Cartier-Ross Bridge, in Maskinongé, QC was completed in December 1903.  At this time, it was simply called "Pont de Maskinongé" (Maskinongé Bridge), as it was built in the middle of the village of Maskinongé, on what was at the time the Quebec highway 2, also called "Chemin du Roy" (King's Road).  The structure was built of iron, with a wooden deck.

In July 1927, the bridge was replaced with a brand new one in the village, in order to allow heavier and bigger cars and trucks to cross the Maskinongé River.  With a similar structure as the former one (but larger and higher), the new bridge was built with a concrete deck, and the former bridge was moved 6 miles downstream on the same river, and rebuilt with an extension on the western side of the river (right, on the picture).  The new bridge was named Galipeault Bridge, to celebrate the fact that the provincial transportation minister of the time, Antonin Galipeault, born in Maskinongé, gave a lot of subsidies to conclude the project. The former bridge was renamed Cartier-Ross Bridge, as of the name of the two land owners, Ovide Cartier and Régis Ross, who each gave a parcel for the construction of the bridge, that still connects the two sides of the river nowadays.

This picture was taken in April 2008, along the spring flooding, and the last vertical leg of the bridge was broken.  It was since repaired, and is still solid today.

A zoom in of the broken leg.
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

Nanis

The bridge that Frankford avenue (US 13/PA 13) uses to cross the Pennypack is really old.
Map of state roads I have taken pictures for the signs for can be seen here (although four routes ave not been added yet because of their lengths.):
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/us_route_map/s7vYO7rC80

kphoger

Quote from: Nanis on December 20, 2017, 05:52:33 PM
The bridge that Frankford avenue (US 13/PA 13) uses to cross the Pennypack is really old.

Where is that, exactly?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

froggie

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on December 21, 2017, 02:14:19 PM
Quote from: Nanis on December 20, 2017, 05:52:33 PM

Where is that, exactly?

Quote from: froggie on December 21, 2017, 04:45:27 PM
Sounds like this one.

Ah, so it's this one that was mentioned back on page 1:

Quote from: Rothman on June 14, 2017, 12:21:07 PM
Quote from: JJBers on June 14, 2017, 12:12:24 PM
Here it is
I guess US 13 in Northeast Pennsylvania drives on the oldest road bridge in the USA.

Public Domain,  Coemgenus (Wikimedia Commons)
Heh.  You meant Philadelphia, silly man.

Wikipedia says 1697.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

Quote from: kkt on June 16, 2017, 06:32:17 PM
Not finding a convenient single list, but for Washington and Oregon perhaps the Interstate Bridge northbound half, built in 1917.

I found an earlier bridge for Washington.  The Murray Morgan Bridge, AKA City Waterway Bridge, in Tacoma, was built in 1913.  It was part of WA 509 for a long time, however WA 509 was rerouted around this bridge and the bridge now belongs to the City of Tacoma.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray_Morgan_Bridge

GenExpwy

Quote from: kphoger on December 21, 2017, 04:55:35 PM

Here it is
I guess US 13 in Northeast Pennsylvania drives on the oldest road bridge in the USA.

Public Domain,  Coemgenus (Wikimedia Commons)

Wikipedia says 1697.

The Wikipedia article says:
QuoteThe bridge was widened in 1893 to accommodate streetcars, which commenced service in 1895, and again in 1950 to better accommodate automobile traffic.
Is that why the inside of the arch (visible in the photo) is part stone and part concrete? Would the stone-lined part be the 1697 section, and the concrete-lined part is the newer section?

US71

After some looking around, I've determined the Lee Creek Bridge near Natural Dam is likely the oldest in Arkansas. It was built in 1934 along what was then TEMP US 59/AR 45. At least it will be until the end of the month when it's demolished.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Beltway

Quote from: GenExpwy on December 21, 2017, 10:06:53 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 21, 2017, 04:55:35 PM
Here it is
[img width=800 height=596]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/Frankford-
Wikipedia says 1697.
The Wikipedia article says:
QuoteThe bridge was widened in 1893 to accommodate streetcars, which commenced service in 1895, and again in 1950 to better accommodate automobile traffic.
Is that why the inside of the arch (visible in the photo) is part stone and part concrete? Would the stone-lined part be the 1697 section, and the concrete-lined part is the newer section?

So a major part of the bridge was built in 1893 and in 1950.  How much change and addition to a bridge can occur and the age of the older part still be relevant?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.