News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Taconic Parkway Mini-Meet?

Started by dgolub, March 05, 2016, 01:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgolub

I recently learned (thanks to Adam's Facebook post yesterday) that they're planning to replace all the signs on the Taconic Parkway in the near future.  They're also planning to build an interchange where there is currently an at-grade intersection with Pudding Street in Putnam County and also do replace all the signs on the Cross County Parkway, one of the few highways in the area that's still mostly button copy.  I'm thinking of hosting a mini-meet to clinch the two parkways before they do the work.  In getting between them, we'd probably do parts of the Hutch and the Saw Mill and have a stop at Kensico Dam Plaza.  (Why there?  Because it's a dam good place to stop.)  As for dates, I'm thinking either in two weeks (3/19) or at some point in late April or early May so at not to conflict with the Tuxedo, Central PA, or Corridor H meets.  Anyone interested?

Rothman

What is the source of the plans for the new TSP/Pudding Street interchange?  I'm sure it's been proposed at some point or another, but I don't think there are any definite plans at this point.  I also wonder if it's going to be an actual interchange or if they'll just build an overpass over the TSP without providing access ramps.

In my opinion, anything outside of three state fiscal years is only tentatively planned, with the plans become even less set in stone from that point forward.  Most anything beyond March 2020 is absolute fantasy and then everything is fantasy after September 2021.

That said, I believe the signage on the TSP is definitely in the works in the nearer term.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dgolub

Duke87

Quote from: dgolub on March 06, 2016, 10:06:16 AM
Right here: https://www.dot.ny.gov/programs/stip/files/R8.pdf

The only funding on there is $1.175M for FY 2015 under "DETLDES", which I'm guessing means something like "detailed design". Total project cost is listed as $21M-$31M and the rest of it is not funded in 2016 or 2017.

So yeah, it sounds like a wishlist item that's unlikely to actually break ground unless NYSDOT either gets enough funding to exit preservation mode or gets some grant earmarked for this project.

Quote from: Rothman on March 05, 2016, 11:57:03 PM
In my opinion, anything outside of three state fiscal years is only tentatively planned, with the plans become even less set in stone from that point forward.  Most anything beyond March 2020 is absolute fantasy and then everything is fantasy after September 2021.

So I've learned from experience. I remember back in early 2008 seeing that region 8 was looking into rebuilding exit 13 on the Hutch, something which would be highly useful for bottleneck relief. It vanished from the list of planned projects at some point within the following few years. Fantasy indeed.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

noelbotevera

I don't want it to be called the Teaspoon.

Anyways, will this also be a full length ride for clinching purposes? I'm lacking in that and all NY Parkway's I've only traveled. I want at least one under my belt.

Also, what about removing the at-grades? There's still a couple and I heard that they want to have no at-grades to turn it into a freeway. I might be behind the times, and the plans most likely have been abandoned.

Rothman

Quote from: dgolub on March 06, 2016, 10:06:16 AM
Right here: https://www.dot.ny.gov/programs/stip/files/R8.pdf

In my personal opinion, that detailed design work was never authorized and note that construction wasn't even on the STIP for those old years you're showing (preliminary design was authorized).  All the STIP does is enable the authorization, but does not ensure that the work is actually done (FHWA shakes its finger at NY for amending the STIP as many times as it does).  Keep in mind that NY is getting its new STIP together as well, so the old information may not be that reliable.  I'll do some research tomorrow on this.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Duke87

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 06, 2016, 02:13:27 PM
Also, what about removing the at-grades? There's still a couple and I heard that they want to have no at-grades to turn it into a freeway. I might be behind the times, and the plans most likely have been abandoned.

There are numerous at grade intersections, and while gradually over the years some of them have been eliminated, plenty still remain and most have no current plans to be removed.

That said, only the short southernmost section between the Sprain and Kensico Circle has any signalized intersections. The intersections in Putnam, Dutchess, and Columbia counties are all minor streets with no signalization. Most have been converted into a pair of RIRO intersections with the median crossover restricted to authorized vehicles only or blocked off outright.

The intersection mentioned above (street view here) is one of the few where general public use of the median crossover is still permitted.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

dgolub

There's only one at-grade intersection that I see plans to eliminate, the one at Pudding Street in Putnam County.  As far as I know, all the others up in Dutchess and Columbia counties will remain.

empirestate

Quote from: dgolub on March 07, 2016, 08:42:05 AM

There's only one at-grade intersection that I see plans to eliminate, the one at Pudding Street in Putnam County.  As far as I know, all the others up in Dutchess and Columbia counties will remain.

Yes, that's the one being discussed above. It's been announced locally as though it's proceeding, and that the impetus behind it is that a school bus route traverses the intersection.

iPhone

Rothman

Dug into this a little further and my opinion remains that the Pudding St project is not yet part of NYSDOT's active program.

I believe things are still afoot as NYSDOT lumbers towards the end of the SFY and is still in the middle of coming up with an MOU with the Legislature, so it's possible that it could be added as the program evolves.

(personal opinion emphasized)

empirestate

Yeah, I wish I could find the report I heard, but I think it might have been on the radio news. However, it was presented as though the start of construction is (relatively) imminent.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.