News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

CA-58 Kramer Junction Bypass

Started by myosh_tino, July 09, 2016, 03:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

Yep. And (as most of us want) it should be I-40, all the way to Bakersfield and then over to I-5.

The Barstow to Mojave segment of CA-58 will be easy to finish out to Interstate standards once the Kramer Junction Bypass is complete. That could happen relatively fast. All the dirt road driveways and other at-grade entrances spilling onto CA-58 between Bakersfield and Mojave will be difficult to fully eliminate. But perhaps California could pull a Texas-style move and slap the I-40 designation on the road anyway, despite the dirt road entrances. I-10 has dozens of them in West Texas.

sprjus4

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 05, 2019, 12:53:21 AM
Yep. And (as most of us want) it should be I-40, all the way to Bakersfield and then over to I-5.

The Barstow to Mojave segment of CA-58 will be easy to finish out to Interstate standards once the Kramer Junction Bypass is complete. That could happen relatively fast. All the dirt road driveways and other at-grade entrances spilling onto CA-58 between Bakersfield and Mojave will be difficult to fully eliminate. But perhaps California could pull a Texas-style move and slap the I-40 designation on the road anyway, despite the dirt road entrances. I-10 has dozens of them in West Texas.
The entrances in Texas are to private ranches and are gated up usually. I've driven on CA-58 before, the at-grades are private driveways and public roadways. That wouldn't cut it, you'd need frontage roads and an interchange.

It could definitely be done. I-40 does need to be extended all the way to I-5 eventually.

sparker

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 05, 2019, 01:01:23 AM

The entrances in Texas are to private ranches and are gated up usually. I've driven on CA-58 before, the at-grades are private driveways and public roadways. That wouldn't cut it, you'd need frontage roads and an interchange.

It could definitely be done. I-40 does need to be extended all the way to I-5 eventually.

Many of those driveways are access points to the parallel UP/BNSF joint Tehachapi line; they could be gated up with a bit of graded easement well off the outer shoulder and set up for access (gates unlocked/slid open electronically could be implemented) by RR maintenance crews.  There are not a lot of private driveways per se; the ones that are there, in the Woodford/Keene area, generally area access points for utilities such as communications "repeaters"; those could be accessed with standard locked gates, since unlike RR circumstances, those require only maintenance as required.  Out in the desert, the few driveways between California City Blvd. and the Mojave bypass could easily be joisted off onto frontage facilities; a couple of interchanges, at the aforementioned boulevard as well as the automotive test facility a couple of miles east of the east Mojave exit, will likely be necessary. 

The major issue would be the steep section of CA 58 between Tehachapi and Woodford; right now the current facility has no inner shoulder, just a K-rail; it would have to be widened by cutting into the hillside on the north side of the freeway.  That, and the cross-traffic at Bealville Road and CA 223, would need to be addressed before any Interstate ambitions could be realized.  But attacking these problems is doable -- if Caltrans would be amenable to doing so.  But as of late they've been incredibly lazy about such things -- and when the Kramer bypass is completed, it'll mean a completely signal-less 4-lane divided facility along CA 58 from I-15 west to CA 99; activities along CA 58 might well be considered a fait accompli within Caltrans -- allowing them to concentrate their efforts elsewhere.  Suggestions for further improvement would likely draw a "meh" response both at the district and Sacramento levels.   Merit or not, new Interstate mileage just doesn't seem to "float their boat" anymore.   

TheStranger

Quote from: sparker on July 05, 2019, 04:55:56 AMBut attacking these problems is doable -- if Caltrans would be amenable to doing so.  But as of late they've been incredibly lazy about such things -- and when the Kramer bypass is completed, it'll mean a completely signal-less 4-lane divided facility along CA 58 from I-15 west to CA 99; activities along CA 58 might well be considered a fait accompli within Caltrans -- allowing them to concentrate their efforts elsewhere.  Suggestions for further improvement would likely draw a "meh" response both at the district and Sacramento levels.   Merit or not, new Interstate mileage just doesn't seem to "float their boat" anymore.   

That last sentence is something I like to emphasize whenever posters from other states comment on "why isn't X an interstate yet" regarding California roads that either have been proposed as future Interstates, or in the case of Route 58, appear to be very logical extensions.

I'm surprised for instance that 210 east of 57 has been acknowledged as future Interstate by CalTrans staff as recently as 10 months ago, given there's been no official word at all about this (58 between I-5 and I-15), or Route 15, or Route 905 getting the red-white-and-blue shield for quite some time, as well as that proposed Interstate designation for the Wheeler Ridge-Sacramento part of Route 99. (In the case of the latter three, all of those have been actively planned in some form as Interstate upgrades/redesignations!)
Chris Sampang

kkt

I'd like to see I-5 to Barstow as I-40, but only if it completely met interstate standards, including no grade crossings.  Putting up an interstate shield create the impression among motorists that they are free to cuise along at 70+ paying no attention to whatever those cars and trucks off to the side of the freeway are doing. 

sprjus4

Quote from: kkt on July 05, 2019, 02:37:44 PM
create the impression among motorists that they are free to cuise along at 70+ paying no attention to whatever those cars and trucks off to the side of the freeway are doing.
Isn't that what they already do anyways?

The one time I went down CA-58 between CA-99 and US-395, everybody was doing 75 - 85 mph, even on the arterial stretches. At one point I hit 95 mph without realizing it until I looked at my speedometer. I was tempted to punch to 100 mph but then decided it's time to dial it wayyy down.

sparker

Quote from: TheStranger on July 05, 2019, 01:12:56 PM
Quote from: sparker on July 05, 2019, 04:55:56 AMBut attacking these problems is doable -- if Caltrans would be amenable to doing so.  But as of late they've been incredibly lazy about such things -- and when the Kramer bypass is completed, it'll mean a completely signal-less 4-lane divided facility along CA 58 from I-15 west to CA 99; activities along CA 58 might well be considered a fait accompli within Caltrans -- allowing them to concentrate their efforts elsewhere.  Suggestions for further improvement would likely draw a "meh" response both at the district and Sacramento levels.   Merit or not, new Interstate mileage just doesn't seem to "float their boat" anymore.   

That last sentence is something I like to emphasize whenever posters from other states comment on "why isn't X an interstate yet" regarding California roads that either have been proposed as future Interstates, or in the case of Route 58, appear to be very logical extensions.

I'm surprised for instance that 210 east of 57 has been acknowledged as future Interstate by CalTrans staff as recently as 10 months ago, given there's been no official word at all about this (58 between I-5 and I-15), or Route 15, or Route 905 getting the red-white-and-blue shield for quite some time, as well as that proposed Interstate designation for the Wheeler Ridge-Sacramento part of Route 99. (In the case of the latter three, all of those have been actively planned in some form as Interstate upgrades/redesignations!)

The impetus for a CA 99 Interstate "conversion" has always come from parties other than Caltrans; primarily cities (and their associated chambers of commerce) along the route angling for investment and development for distribution, warehousing, and manufacturing; a widespread sentiment in the Valley is that they are tired of being considered a "one trick pony" re their agricultural prominence.  They see the red, white, and blue shields as a way to prima facie attract such investment, particularly of the overseas sort -- who tend to view proximity to an Interstate as proof of efficient egress (it worked for MS with I-22; Toyota started building their Tupelo plant after that route was formally designated in 2004).  Interesting note about CA 99 improvements:  even in Caltrans' "master plan" for upgrading the entire corridor to a minimum of 6 lanes -- about 100 pages of text, maps, and charts -- potential Interstate status is afforded one short paragraph; the only conclusions are that it would be numbered either I-7 or I-9.  Period, no expectations or opinion about such an issue; to Caltrans, the designation is secondary to the actual roadway status. 

The Division of Highways submitted CA 58 between I-5 and I-15 for Interstate status as part of the 1968 additions, but their proposal was among those jettisoned when that years' legislation was cut back from 4500 to 1500 miles in Congress.  And since there's no such thing as chargeable mileage these days, it's understandable that such an action has yet to have a second act!   And re the San Diego situations (I-15 extension, I-905), it's just a matter of combining non-prioritization with procrastination (which seems to be a Caltrans S.O.P. these days).  What will happen with I-210 will depend upon how quickly D8 can and will schedule improvements to the San Bernardino "loop" (mostly shoulder and overpass widening).  We'll just have to see what's let in the next couple of years. 

TheStranger

Quote from: sparker on July 05, 2019, 04:20:30 PM
The Division of Highways submitted CA 58 between I-5 and I-15 for Interstate status as part of the 1968 additions, but their proposal was among those jettisoned when that years' legislation was cut back from 4500 to 1500 miles in Congress.  And since there's no such thing as chargeable mileage these days, it's understandable that such an action has yet to have a second act!   And re the San Diego situations (I-15 extension, I-905), it's just a matter of combining non-prioritization with procrastination (which seems to be a Caltrans S.O.P. these days).  What will happen with I-210 will depend upon how quickly D8 can and will schedule improvements to the San Bernardino "loop" (mostly shoulder and overpass widening).  We'll just have to see what's let in the next couple of years. 

With regards to 15 along 40th/Wabash, isn't the final hangup for that becoming ready for Interstate designation, the interchange with 94?  I don't think any work has commenced there yet.

905 probably could be signed as Interstate already at this point if that was something CalTrans wanted to pursue (which of course is not their protocol at present), given the actual route is complete, the only missing parts being connectors to 11 and 125.
Chris Sampang

sparker

Quote from: TheStranger on July 05, 2019, 06:01:53 PM
With regards to 15 along 40th/Wabash, isn't the final hangup for that becoming ready for Interstate designation, the interchange with 94?  I don't think any work has commenced there yet.

It hasn't, although the situation has remained static since the improvement of CA 15 to full Interstate standards south as far as I-805 was completed 21 years ago.  Hence the characterization of Caltrans as procrastinating -- or simply not prioritizing such upgrades.  Since a substantial number of local off-network projects have been coming out of their regular STIP allotment (I can remember the "good old days" when Caltrans money went primarily to projects on state-maintained facilities -- it wasn't that far back!), some projects deemed not immediately vital (including, obviously, Interstate-level upgrades) are placed on the "back burner" for indefinite periods.  Apparently the southern I-15 extension is in that batch, since the current 15/94 interchange is at least functional if not optimal. 

sprjus4

Updated Street View from May 2019 of the western terminus of the project.

sparker

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 23, 2019, 12:44:12 PM
Updated Street View from May 2019 of the northern terminus of the project.

Actually, the western terminus; that's the location where they'll be cutting the new carriageways into the east end of the existing Boron freeway.  What is pictured is the temporary lanes that access the existing 2-lane facility that crosses the BNSF tracks off to the right and heads into Kramer Junction on the original alignment that's been there since US 466 days.  It does look like they've extended the temp lanes a bit west of where they were when I came through there (in the opposite direction) in December; originally they emptied out onto the new EB lanes and then split directions once on the original freeway section; now it looks like they're heading onto the WB lanes, likely in order to finish "detailing" the EB connection.  At least there's continuous progress -- the one saving grace of desert conditions!  BTW, since this is about 60-70 miles south of the epicenter of the recent 7-level quakes, I'm  wondering if any of the under-construction structures were affected? 

ClassicHasClass

I'm quite sure they would have been. In fact, I wonder what this did to the CA 178-US 395 interchange and the CA 14-US 395 wye. Haven't been up there since the quake.

Inyomono395

They both seemed fine when I drove through a few day after the earthquake

Bobby5280

Quote from: sparkerActually, the western terminus; that's the location where they'll be cutting the new carriageways into the east end of the existing Boron freeway.

Yep. And it's visible in Street View, same May 2019 imagery. Both ends of the Kramer Junction Bypass project are visible. Plus, construction to upgrade the old 2 lane section between Kramer Junction and Hinkley is well underway.

I just wonder how long it will take for Caltrans to remove the last at-grade intersections, such as the one at the West end of the Hinkley Bypass.

sprjus4

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 25, 2019, 12:01:13 AM
Both ends of the Kramer Junction Bypass project are visible.
Weird, only the west side appears on my end. Still December 2018 imagery on the eastern end.

sparker

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 25, 2019, 12:01:13 AM
Quote from: sparkerActually, the western terminus; that's the location where they'll be cutting the new carriageways into the east end of the existing Boron freeway.

Yep. And it's visible in Street View, same May 2019 imagery. Both ends of the Kramer Junction Bypass project are visible. Plus, construction to upgrade the old 2 lane section between Kramer Junction and Hinkley is well underway.

I just wonder how long it will take for Caltrans to remove the last at-grade intersections, such as the one at the West end of the Hinkley Bypass.

Upgrading existing expressway sections of CA 58 to full freeway doesn't appear to be a Caltrans priority.  And the section described above is in D8, which already has a lot on its plate with the I-15 express lanes near Corona, the planned upgrades to CA 210 in the San Bernardino area, the expansion of CA 60 between Ontario and Riverside, and the other major project on CA 60 through the Badlands and west of Beaumont.  Once 4-laning of CA 58 is completed with the Kramer segment, there probably won't be much in the way of further activity on that route except maintenance and the occasional safety improvement -- at least for a few more years.  If truck volume increases -- or if there is a particularly nasty accident involving an at-grade intersection, then there may be renewed interest, prompted by public notice, in getting rid of some of the more egregious crossings. 

Bobby5280

QuoteWeird, only the west side appears on my end. Still December 2018 imagery on the eastern end.

The East End of the Kramer Junction bypass is indeed December 2018 imagery, but a lot of construction is still visible. The east end of the bypass is 2.7 miles East of Kramer Junction. It merges into existing CA-58 where the bends more South at that point.

Quote from: sparkerIf truck volume increases -- or if there is a particularly nasty accident involving an at-grade intersection, then there may be renewed interest, prompted by public notice, in getting rid of some of the more egregious crossings.

I'm a bit concerned about the West end of the Hinkley Bypass. The at-grade intersection at least has some turn lanes for traffic leaving the new CA-58 for the old road and acceleration lanes for traffic entering the new road. And there's some street lights to illuminate the intersection at night. Nevertheless the thru traffic on CA-58 doesn't stop. And no one should ever underestimate the willingness of some motorists turning onto the highway to just whip right out in front of main lane traffic, acceleration lane be damned. I've seen it plenty on the divided highways here in Oklahoma.

It's pretty odd Caltrans built a freeway exit at the East End of the Hinkley Bypass but merely an at grade intersection on the West End. It looks like they're doing the same thing with the Kramer Junction bypass. No big earth berms are getting built for off ramps and bridges.

sprjus4

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 25, 2019, 01:59:25 PM
It's pretty odd Caltrans built a freeway exit at the East End of the Hinkley Bypass but merely an at grade intersection on the West End.
It's due to functional class. The eastern end tied into an existing freeway, so an interchange was warranted. The western end tied into an at-grade expressway, so an intersection worked there.

NE2

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 25, 2019, 02:18:26 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 25, 2019, 01:59:25 PM
It's pretty odd Caltrans built a freeway exit at the East End of the Hinkley Bypass but merely an at grade intersection on the West End.
It's due to functional class. The eastern end tied into an existing freeway, so an interchange was warranted. The western end tied into an at-grade expressway, so an intersection worked there.
I doubt this. It's more likely that Lenwood has a lot more traffic than Wagner.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

splashflash

QuoteIt looks like they're doing the same thing with the Kramer Junction bypass. No big earth berms are getting built for off ramps and bridges.

Perhaps there will not even be an at-grade intersection but rather Old Highway 58 (current route)  would tie into Boron Frontage Road South.  The Boron Avenue interchange is not too far from where Old Highway 58 veers southeast (traveling east) and the old highway could be relatively well reached from the Kramer US 395 interchange.

Concrete Bob

I wouldn't be surprised if the stretch of the existing SR 58 leasing from the east end of the Boron Freeway to the current route 58 leading to Kramer Junction (South Frontage Road) is obliterated so it does not form a surface intersection with the Kramer Junction Bypass.

As Splashflash rightly notes, there is an offramp about a mile west of the current end of the Boron Freeway providing access to Beautiful Downtown Boron. And, the interchange with 395 a few miles to the east will provide direct access to the Kramer Junction businesses.   

sparker

Quote from: Concrete Bob on July 25, 2019, 10:52:36 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the stretch of the existing SR 58 leasing from the east end of the Boron Freeway to the current route 58 leading to Kramer Junction (South Frontage Road) is obliterated so it does not form a surface intersection with the Kramer Junction Bypass.

As Splashflash rightly notes, there is an offramp about a mile west of the current end of the Boron Freeway providing access to Beautiful Downtown Boron. And, the interchange with 395 a few miles to the east will provide direct access to the Kramer Junction businesses.   

That's probably right -- primarily because the existing CA 58 2-lane section from Kramer west to the freeway includes the at-grade crossing of the BNSF main line; excising that from the through route and Caltrans maintenance would be of principal interest to Caltrans in general and D8 in particular.  Since the "old road" (called "20 Mule Train Road") through Boron next to the RR tracks intersects current CA 58 where the long-time curve up to the freeway began, they will in all likelihood "straightline" the alignment, making a continuous "old highway" from east of Kramer through Boron.  With Kramer Jct. being so compact -- basically surrounding the 58/395 intersection, configuring a portion of the original alignment as a sort of "business loop" would be overkill; the services there, as suggested in the previous post, can be readily accessed from the new 58/395 interchange. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on July 25, 2019, 11:07:07 PM
Quote from: Concrete Bob on July 25, 2019, 10:52:36 PM

That's probably right -- primarily because the existing CA 58 2-lane section from Kramer west to the freeway includes the at-grade crossing of the BNSF main line; excising that from the through route and Caltrans maintenance would be of principal interest to Caltrans in general and D8 in particular.  Since the "old road" (called "20 Mule Train Road") through Boron next to the RR tracks intersects current CA 58 where the long-time curve up to the freeway began, they will in all likelihood "straightline" the alignment, making a continuous "old highway" from east of Kramer through Boron.  With Kramer Jct. being so compact -- basically surrounding the 58/395 intersection, configuring a portion of the original alignment as a sort of "business loop" would be overkill; the services there, as suggested in the previous post, can be readily accessed from the new 58/395 interchange.

Aren't there a couple privately owned parcels of property on CA 58 west of Kramer Junction?  I would imagine that the rail crossing simply would be gaped but much of the old highway would be left as is. 

Bobby5280

Quote from: sprjus4It's due to functional class. The eastern end tied into an existing freeway, so an interchange was warranted. The western end tied into an at-grade expressway, so an intersection worked there.

The West end of the Kramer Junction Bypass also ties into an existing freeway. CA-58 going West into Boron is a freeway. CA-58 drops down to expressway standards 16 miles West of Boron. For about 10 miles there are at-grade intersections with CA-58 until the road reaches the outskirts of Mojave.

Quote from: splashflashPerhaps there will not even be an at-grade intersection but rather Old Highway 58 (current route)  would tie into Boron Frontage Road South.  The Boron Avenue interchange is not too far from where Old Highway 58 veers southeast (traveling east) and the old highway could be relatively well reached from the Kramer US 395 interchange.

That would be the best solution. And probably even cheaper than building an at-grade intersection with all the necessary lighting, turn lanes, signs, etc. The existing frontage road is 2 way. There wouldn't be any conflict patching the old CA-58 road into that. The ROW is already available to build things in that manner. I can't tell from the Street View imagery if Caltrans is going to do that.

sprjus4

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 26, 2019, 12:04:46 PM
The West end of the Kramer Junction Bypass also ties into an existing freeway. CA-58 going West into Boron is a freeway. CA-58 drops down to expressway standards 16 miles West of Boron. For about 10 miles there are at-grade intersections with CA-58 until the road reaches the outskirts of Mojave.
I was referring to the Hinkley Bypass, not the Kramer Junction Bypass.

As mentioned, the best solution for the Kramer Junction Bypass would be to have no at-grade intersection or interchange, just rather use the old road to make that connection.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.