News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-805

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 11, 2019, 04:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

I recently drove the northern segment of I-805 to CA 163/Old US 395 while visiting San Diego.  I-805 might have the most straight forward build history of any Interstate I've done map analysis on with a California Route.  There wasn't a ton exciting here but I did confirm there is no CA 274 signage from I-805 south:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2019/05/interstate-805.html?m=1

nexus73

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 11, 2019, 04:15:45 PM
I recently drove the northern segment of I-805 to CA 163/Old US 395 while visiting San Diego.  I-805 might have the most straight forward build history of any Interstate I’ve done map analysis on with a California Route.  There wasn’t a ton exciting here but I did confirm there is no CA 274 signage from I-805 south:

Funny to see a 10-lane freeway look so empty.  Was this due to the hour/day of taking the pictures or is I-805 a low volume freeway? 

Will you get the southern section down to the border?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

ClassicHasClass

Probably the hour of the day. I've been stuck on I-805 in rush hour maaaaaaaaaaaaany times.

Max Rockatansky

I picked a very specific time in the late morning to get through Los Angeles and San Diego before the evening rush hour, I'm honestly surprised it worked as well as it did.  The trip down from Fresno didn't include any traffic jams at any point which was a huge surprise.  I was about an hour ahead of schedule, it didn't go as well heading back north.

Regarding photos of I-805, I'm sure at some point I'll extend the album whenever I get the chance visit.  The big objective for me right now is to get as many of California Signed Highways onto Gribblenation as I can.  The toughest part is digging through all the maps and legislative stuff (which thankfully is on CAhighways) to get the historic aspect of the route out of the way.  I'm about out of stuff that interests me in the Central part of the State which means I'll be making more trips to Southern California and far Northern California.

nexus73

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 11, 2019, 08:11:23 PM
I picked a very specific time in the late morning to get through Los Angeles and San Diego before the evening rush hour, I'm honestly surprised it worked as well as it did.  The trip down from Fresno didn't include any traffic jams at any point which was a huge surprise.  I was about an hour ahead of schedule, it didn't go as well heading back north.

Regarding photos of I-805, I'm sure at some point I'll extend the album whenever I get the chance visit.  The big objective for me right now is to get as many of California Signed Highways onto Gribblenation as I can.  The toughest part is digging through all the maps and legislative stuff (which thankfully is on CAhighways) to get the historic aspect of the route out of the way.  I'm about out of stuff that interests me in the Central part of the State which means I'll be making more trips to Southern California and far Northern California.

Huge surprise indeed!  Back in 2013, coming up 101 from San Jose to San Francisco after the morning rush hour was incredibly easy.  That was a surprise to me.  Seeing things go the opposite way was finding the 101 Hollywood Freeway jammed up after 2 AM in 1974.  The rest of the freeways I drove on the way back to Riverside were quite empty.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on May 12, 2019, 12:24:24 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 11, 2019, 08:11:23 PM

Huge surprise indeed!  Back in 2013, coming up 101 from San Jose to San Francisco after the morning rush hour was incredibly easy.  That was a surprise to me.  Seeing things go the opposite way was finding the 101 Hollywood Freeway jammed up after 2 AM in 1974.  The rest of the freeways I drove on the way back to Riverside were quite empty.

Rick

It has occurred to me that driving a week on the Kennedy Expressway recently probably skewed my opinion on what "bad traffic"  really is.  I needed a good reminder how bad things could get in the Mid-West with congestion. 

SoCal Kid

Quote from: nexus73 on May 11, 2019, 06:41:33 PM
I recently drove the northern segment of I-805 to CA 163/Old US 395 while visiting San Diego.  I-805 might have the most straight forward build history of any Interstate I've done map analysis on with a California Route.  There wasn't a ton exciting here but I did confirm there is no CA 274 signage from I-805 south:

Funny to see a 10-lane freeway look so empty.  Was this due to the hour/day of taking the pictures or is I-805 a low volume freeway? 

Rick
Very likely the time of day, I-805 is a very major and busy route in San Diego, been in jams on it more than I can count
Are spurs of spurs of spurs of loops of spurs of loops a thing? ;)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SoCal Kid on May 12, 2019, 12:44:16 PM
Quote from: nexus73 on May 11, 2019, 06:41:33 PM

Rick
Very likely the time of day, I-805 is a very major and busy route in San Diego, been in jams on it more than I can count

Does 805 even have a peak AADT over 250,000 vehicles now at any point along the freeway?  Everyone keeps telling me it's a terrible route but I've never seen anything that would suggest to me that it is a top level freeway for bottlenecks even in rush hour traffic.  When I was working in Southern California the worst Freeway segments I typically encountered around San Diego were the south end of 163 in Balboa Park and I-5 in downtown. 

mrsman

The 805 it's definitely a very busy route during rush hours especially where it merges  with the 5 in the north end of town and and of course by the Mexican border.

Yet would compared with such Mainstays in the LA area like the 91 and the 405, 805 is certainly much easier to deal with.  Traffic jams after midnight or unheard-of on 805

Nexus 5X

SoCal Kid

When I talked about I-805 to some friends, they thought I was referring to the 805 area code and even my parents gave me weird looks   :rolleyes:
Are spurs of spurs of spurs of loops of spurs of loops a thing? ;)

TheStranger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 12, 2019, 12:54:24 PM

Does 805 even have a peak AADT over 250,000 vehicles now at any point along the freeway?  Everyone keeps telling me it's a terrible route but I've never seen anything that would suggest to me that it is a top level freeway for bottlenecks even in rush hour traffic.  When I was working in Southern California the worst Freeway segments I typically encountered around San Diego were the south end of 163 in Balboa Park and I-5 in downtown. 

Looking here...

http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/census/volumes2017/Route505-980.html

259K at Imperial Avenue, 251K at H Street in Chula Vista.
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.