News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Coronavirus pandemic

Started by Bruce, January 21, 2020, 04:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben114

Quote from: webny99 on April 11, 2020, 08:55:11 PM
For states with school districts that don't have online classes and communication down to a science (which I assume is most or all states), it seems much too early to be closing schools for the rest of the year. That's over 2 months away in most states!

I am currently scheduled to return to school on Monday, May 4 (along with the rest of MA schools), but some people are already thinking we'll be out until the fall.

My school has the scheduled last day as Friday, May 29.

Flint1979

Michigan ends the school year usually somewhere between June 11th-15th and starts the day after Labor Day.

webny99

In other news, 39 states have now reported over 1000 cases. The 11 states that haven't?
Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, West Virginia, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Alaska, and Hawaii.

To say this virus spreads much faster among more dense/urban populations would be an understatement at this point:
-None of those states has a population of more than 2 million.
-They combine to make up just 3.8% of the US population (so 96.2% of the US population lives in a state with 1000+ cases).
-They're 11 of the bottom 14 in population.*
-They're all in the bottom half by population density.
-There are no Top 50 metro areas in any of these states.
-Only Nebraska (Omaha) and Hawaii (Honolulu) are home to a Top 100 (!) metro area.

*Delaware and Rhode Island (the two smallest and among the most dense states), and Idaho (which borders Washington), are the only states in the bottom 14 in population with more than 1000 cases.

bandit957

In my day, school went to around June 1, and that was it. And that was in a district that always had a longer school year than other places did.

A lot of people are pretty sad that there won't be senior prom or a graduation ceremony, but I didn't have any of that anyway. I didn't really want those things though.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Flint1979

I probably won't be able to go to the lake this year. One of my favorite things about Michigan is the number of inland lakes we have and the Great Lakes as well they are like oceans since you can't see across them. But going up north to the lake is a Michigan tradition.

Max Rockatansky

New Mexico is apparently using cell phone location services to track movements in-state:

https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/us_world_news/new-mexico-using-cell-phone-data-to-track-movement-of-people-within-state-and-considering/article_0dbdd6d8-4e62-59b7-9793-392943d0fca6.html?fbclid=IwAR28LEnZappW_h_NP6k2iC84sVgA6mriH1HR0VNx58ABqNWeHA3kl8Rkmf4

Never mind the fact that one got off an Interstate Highway that they would likely lose cell service pretty quickly...especially on US 60 of US 180. 

mgk920

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 11, 2020, 10:36:22 PM
New Mexico is apparently using cell phone location services to track movements in-state:

https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/us_world_news/new-mexico-using-cell-phone-data-to-track-movement-of-people-within-state-and-considering/article_0dbdd6d8-4e62-59b7-9793-392943d0fca6.html?fbclid=IwAR28LEnZappW_h_NP6k2iC84sVgA6mriH1HR0VNx58ABqNWeHA3kl8Rkmf4

Never mind the fact that one got off an Interstate Highway that they would likely lose cell service pretty quickly...especially on US 60 of US 180.

Without reading the article, is this data from phone GPS records or is it from network 'ping' records?

('Pinging' allows the network to know what repeater towers are closest to the phone in order to route incoming calls and text messages, the ping signals that the phones reply to are sent out every ten minutes or so.)

Mike

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mgk920 on April 12, 2020, 12:23:07 AM

Without reading the article, is this data from phone GPS records or is it from network 'ping' records?

('Pinging' allows the network to know what repeater towers are closest to the phone in order to route incoming calls and text messages, the ping signals that the phones reply to are sent out every ten minutes or so.)

Mike

That part isn't exactly clear.  The article cites that the Federal Government was also in talks with social media platforms on how their data from cellular use could be used to track movements.   

Roadgeekteen

Could be a good idea now, but experts have warned about the loss of personal freedoms during crisis that sometimes don't comeback. (see-Patriot act)
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Duke87

Quote from: kalvado on April 10, 2020, 01:04:26 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 10, 2020, 11:49:38 AM
The NYC mass grave is temporary. I guess continuing to provide refrigerated trucks for storage was no longer feasible?
Not sure if  opening up this "temporary" thing would be a good idea. For one, what's the point of moving sealed coffin with pretty decomposed stuff inside?

It is and isn't temporary.

It is in the sense that the families of anyone buried there have the right to have the body exhumed and reburied in a location of their choosing with a more formal grave. Many people, understandably, don't want to go out and deal with that right now, especially considering that you're not allowed to have a funeral ceremony anyway.

But it isn't in the sense that a lot of those bodies will never be claimed by anyone and just left there. Hart Island has long served as New York City's "potter's field" - whenever anyone dies and their family can't afford a more formal burial (or they have no family that cares), that's where they go. Any covid victims whose family situation is such will be left there permanently.

Quote from: ftballfan on April 11, 2020, 03:59:08 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on April 11, 2020, 03:32:56 PM
So NYC mayor De Blasio decides to join the trend of closing schools for the rest of the year... only for his decision to be voided by NYS governor Cuomo. CT governor Lamont has extended the reopening date to May 20 (1 month), while NJ governor Murphy has dodged the question entirely for now.

I'm surprised it's taken this long for anyone in the NYC tri-state area to even consider it. Michigan, Pennsylvania, and California (which are #3, #4, and #5 respectively in number of cases) made the decision to close schools for the remainder of the year in the last week. The first state to call off school for the rest of the year was Kansas, which I think has less than 500 cases

Cuomo, at least, is taking the tactic of not wanting to make policy more than a few weeks forward at a time. Which is consistent with the guarded stance he's been taking in general.

He's also got an ongoing pissing contest with DiBlasio going back years that you knew was going to find its way into this matter before it was over, and here we go.

In this case, Cuomo is extremely adamant on keeping things coordinated at the state level, and is basically smacking DiBlasio for daring to try to make a decision on his own without coordinating it through the governor's office.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 12, 2020, 12:47:31 AM

Could be a good idea now, but experts have warned about the loss of personal freedoms during crisis that sometimes don't comeback. (see-Patriot act)

Well this isn't like the first time Patriot-Act like restrictions have happened.  During World War II there was arguably far more restrictions and freedoms in addition to everything else (which starts down a dark home with interment camps).   Even the Spanish Flu had some restrictions on state levels like is being seen today. 

At the moment it isn't real clear how the data is being used which in theory could be a non-story if it is just meant to measure the effectiveness of isolation measures.  Either way it does have me missing some of the pre-2009 times when I didn't even own a cell phone.  Constant surveillance used to be something people really worried about but now has become something of a norm with technology.  The main difference is that back 20-30 years ago people were worried a government body would do the tracking when it turned out to be more so run by commercial entities. 

Either way, I do look forward to a time when I can jettison things like a cell post career and go back to a quieter way of living.  I don't think that I would have a lot of gizmos that I do now if I wasn't pressured into getting them by work.  It seems like the communication platforms of modern times spread way too much information way too fast which has been counterproductive in a lot of ways with the current pandemic. 

Sctvhound

Most schools in SC get out between the end of May and June 7-8. In the Charleston area usually almost every HS graduation is held in our 13,000 seat North Charleston Coliseum or the smaller Performing Arts center attached to it. The districts rent the arena out for a couple days at a time each year to hold the graduations.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2020, 01:02:28 AM

Well this isn't like the first time Patriot-Act like restrictions have happened.  During World War II there was arguably far more restrictions and freedoms in addition to everything else (which starts down a dark home with interment camps).   Even the Spanish Flu had some restrictions on state levels like is being seen today. 

At the moment it isn't real clear how the data is being used which in theory could be a non-story if it is just meant to measure the effectiveness of isolation measures.  Either way it does have me missing some of the pre-2009 times when I didn't even own a cell phone.  Constant surveillance used to be something people really worried about but now has become something of a norm with technology.  The main difference is that back 20-30 years ago people were worried a government body would do the tracking when it turned out to be more so run by commercial entities. 

Either way, I do look forward to a time when I can jettison things like a cell post career and go back to a quieter way of living.  I don't think that I would have a lot of gizmos that I do now if I wasn't pressured into getting them by work.  It seems like the communication platforms of modern times spread way too much information way too fast which has been counterproductive in a lot of ways with the current pandemic. 

I can't imagine going back to a landline. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 12, 2020, 08:13:49 AM

I've never been the most bubbly person and did all my computer work on a PC.  It was nice to go outside the house and not be reachable, especially when I went for a hike or drive somewhere.  I would gladly sacrifice the convenience of having information and social media platforms at my finger tips to be left alone.  When people can call you in the middle of places like Yosemite Valley, atop a mountain in the Sierras, and the middle of Death Valley for me that's a problem.  Granted my complaints are mostly work related, I might feel slightly different if I make it to an age where family or friends are the only ones who might try to reach me. 

Then things like this with cell phones pop up and make me want one even less...

SSOWorld

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2020, 09:04:50 AM

I've never been the most bubbly person and did all my computer work on a PC.  It was nice to go outside the house and not be reachable, especially when I went for a hike or drive somewhere.  I would gladly sacrifice the convenience of having information and social media platforms at my finger tips to be left alone.  When people can call you in the middle of places like Yosemite Valley, atop a mountain in the Sierras, and the middle of Death Valley for me that's a problem.  Granted my complaints are mostly work related, I might feel slightly different if I make it to an age where family or friends are the only ones who might try to reach me. 

That's what the Do Not Disturb feature is for.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kwellada

People have been exceedingly willing to share every minute personal detail of their lives via social media for over a decade now.  Corporations such as Google* and Facebook know far more about you than the government. 

* I deleted Facebook ages ago, but I admit that I love the Google Location History to be able to look back on roadtrips and be able to see where I went any given day.  So I'm just as much a part of this problem as anyone else.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 12, 2020, 10:05:47 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2020, 09:04:50 AM

That's what the Do Not Disturb feature is for.

Problem is when you are the person who is also the emergency manager at work like I am.  I'm all good with taking a call on a real emergency like a fire or earthquake.  The problem is that what people think is an actual emergency is far less than what it would have been 10-20 years ago.  Back in the old days if an emergency contact wasn't available you went down a call list.  The call lists still exist but the expectation that you won't be able to answer sometimes has gone out the window. 

I even got into a debate with someone at work recently that there was places in the United States that didn't have cell service, they didn't believe me that was still a thing.  Like I said above, I wouldn't have a cell phone if work hadn't made me get one about a decade ago.  The media aspect of cell phones is kind of a luxury that isn't really necessary to me just as something like cable is. 

kalvado

Half of my calls are prearranged conference calls, and are effectively on landline (wifi) anyway.
Half of remaining are "honey, I lost my phone, please call". Two thirds of leftovers can easily be emails.
That leaves desperate calls in stores "I am ready for checkout, where are you?" Without proper alternative. How did we survive shopping without a phone for decades is beyond me.

Rothman

Count me as someone that prefers to have the totality of the world's knowledge in his pocket over a landline.

And, I prefer advertisers knowing enough about me to tailor advertisements to me.  Much better than having irrelevant stuff thrown at me.

And, I see a lot of benefit from using Facebook in just keeping in touch with friends.  The cost of having whatever data known is pretty low.

I often wonder if those that are most vocal about privacy concerns are those who struggle to find importance or significance in life.  Assigning value to personal data is a way of feeling more significant.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ixnay

Quote from: ixnay on April 03, 2020, 07:17:10 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on April 03, 2020, 06:59:35 PM
This kind of makes me wonder, will we ever see the heavy traffic on the highways again? Or even heavy ridership on public transit.

This kind of makes me not wonder but want to link B.J. Thomas's other Bacharach/David hit (50 years ago on the heels of "Raindrops...").   ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiLII1skGOU

Not all the lyrics fit the Covid situation accurately but some do.

ixnay

And for those itching for SIP to be lifted, I give you this ditty by a duo who helped make the Monkees the Monkees.  The song is called "Out and About".  Happy Easter/Resurrection Day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkhBRFtpWRY

ixnay

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on April 12, 2020, 11:52:47 AM
Count me as someone that prefers to have the totality of the world's knowledge in his pocket over a landline.

And, I prefer advertisers knowing enough about me to tailor advertisements to me.  Much better than having irrelevant stuff thrown at me.

And, I see a lot of benefit from using Facebook in just keeping in touch with friends.  The cost of having whatever data known is pretty low.

I often wonder if those that are most vocal about privacy concerns are those who struggle to find importance or significance in life.  Assigning value to personal data is a way of feeling more significant.
I kinda feel the same. You hear about the dangers of companies knowing too much, but I'm not totally sure what they are.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

In my case the answer is kind of a yes, but is more burnout over a twenty year career which has become incredibly safety oriented.  To that end I'm not exactly worried about social media platforms or really supposed surveillance tracking, it's not like I have criminal activity to hide.  In fact I'd say that constantly updating the Gribblenation Facebook page has been one of the things that has helped stave off boredom for me during this whole pandemic.   My assumption is though at some point I'll be able to be as active as I usually am and things like social media will go back to their proper place low on the totem pole of things to do. 

One thing I have thought about during the pandemic though is how the hell did I get by when I was younger and couldn't afford things like internet much less going places?  College was the only other time I can recall in my adult life where basically I existed just to; exercise, work, study, and go home.  I seem to recall drinking far more back in those days just out of sheer boredom. 

kalvado

problem is, sometimes you don't even realize what kind of information van be given out. Think about immunisations they used to find Bin Laden...

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kalvado on April 12, 2020, 12:05:59 PM

problem is, sometimes you don't even realize what kind of information van be given out. Think about immunisations they used to find Bin Laden...
Yeah, I'm not a terrorist...

kwellada

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 12, 2020, 12:07:21 PM
Quote from: kalvado on April 12, 2020, 12:05:59 PM

Yeah, I'm not a terrorist...

The potential problem is what if someone out there decides to classify you as one due to your particular political opinions? 

Probably won't happen, but the world is getting weird in 2020.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.