News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Coronavirus pandemic

Started by Bruce, January 21, 2020, 04:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: jakeroot on March 24, 2020, 10:03:26 PM
I've been hearing stories like that. Once it became apparent on my recent visit that hot dog buns were gone, I was faced with two options: fish out another store that might have them (unlikely since panic buying was become a serious problem for a couple days), or accept eating hot dogs without the buns. Needless to say, the latter was far more attractive. Especially as my car keys were in my apartment and I didn't feel like walking back up there, just so I could find another store that would likely be out of buns as well).

Buns were a luxury when I was growing up. We ate hot dogs on regular light bread. Hamburgers, too.

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 24, 2020, 08:25:51 PM

I actually thought about resubscribing to the Lexington Herald-Leader and getting print subscriptions to the New York Times and Washington Post if there was a prolonged shortage of bathroom stationery. That's about all those papers are fit for.

I went to the office yesterday, mainly so I could make a Walmart run at lunch and pick up a few other things. The 1985-vintage Walmart had no paper towels and only a few packages of toilet paper. No bleach, hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, or Lysol-type spray. Other than that, they were well-stocked on pretty much everything else, including the meager selection of groceries that they normally carry. Not a lot of traffic in the store and there was no wait to check out. A few customers were wearing masks, including one woman who was coming out of the store when I went in and had two cases of beer in her buggy. Gotta keep plenty of the essentials on hand, I guess.

After work, I went to both the Family Dollar and Dollar General stores for a few other items. No toilet paper and a picked-over selection of paper towels at Family Dollar. Dollar General had plenty of toilet paper, and even had several boxes on a cart outside in front of the store. Very light traffic at both of those stores as well.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on March 25, 2020, 12:20:12 PM
I've been hearing stories like that. Once it became apparent on my recent visit that hot dog buns were gone, I was faced with two options: fish out another store that might have them (unlikely since panic buying was become a serious problem for a couple days), or accept eating hot dogs without the buns. Needless to say, the latter was far more attractive. Especially as my car keys were in my apartment and I didn't feel like walking back up there, just so I could find another store that would likely be out of buns as well.

Buns were a luxury when I was growing up. We ate hot dogs on regular light bread. Hamburgers, too.

My grandmother mentioned the same thing to me. I recall being at her house once when we were making hot dogs, and she realized that they were out of hot dog buns. Without skipping a beat, she just pulled out regular bread. I was momentarily taken aback by such heresy; as it turns out, we just grew up in two different eras, and mine happens to have hot dog buns in plentiful supply relative to her upbringing.

1995hoo

Those "New England" style hot dog buns are basically just bread anyway.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on March 25, 2020, 01:38:52 PM
I've been hearing stories like that. Once it became apparent on my recent visit that hot dog buns were gone, I was faced with two options: fish out another store that might have them (unlikely since panic buying was become a serious problem for a couple days), or accept eating hot dogs without the buns. Needless to say, the latter was far more attractive. Especially as my car keys were in my apartment and I didn't feel like walking back up there, just so I could find another store that would likely be out of buns as well.

My grandmother mentioned the same thing to me. I recall being at her house once when we were making hot dogs, and she realized that they were out of hot dog buns. Without skipping a beat, she just pulled out regular bread. I was momentarily taken aback by such heresy; as it turns out, we just grew up in two different eras, and mine happens to have hot dog buns in plentiful supply relative to her upbringing.

The regular bread with hot dogs was incredibly common among older generations in Metro Detroit in the 1980s.  A lot of people way more frugal if they grew up before World War II and would buy almost everything on bargain basement prices.  I remember people would try to make things like clothes and furniture last as long as possible.  My Grandpa's couch was apparently close to 35 years old when we tossed it since it was mummified in plastic which preserved it like an Egyptian Pharaoh.  Getting by with what you can and making things last definitely isn't the forte of many recent generations. 

J N Winkler

Quote from: kalvado on March 25, 2020, 03:34:34 AM
Quote from: J N Winkler on March 25, 2020, 01:54:08 AMThe daily death toll from the virus in the US has been 100 or greater for three days running.  Although we are locking down, I do not expect to see it back under 100 for at least two months, maybe three.

And that is 1% increase over the normal average. Probably at least somewhat offset by decrease in road deaths, which are normally about 100 daily as well.

All of that is true.  My concern is that deaths are still on an upward trajectory and will remain so for some time after the various lockdowns start to bite.  And even with the limited testing we are doing, there are still about 62,000 confirmed cases (disproportionately sampled from the more serious ones) and the number is still doubling every two days or so, so there are going to be plenty of new cases to feed the beast.

The rate of growth in confirmed cases in Italy has been under 10% for the past three days, and although daily deaths have not been dropping monotonically, the daily increase in total deaths is also slowing down and was 10% over the last 24 hours.

My thinking is that New York is on a similar trajectory, for similar reasons--northern Italy had the super-spreader who went to a football game, and NYC has been bedevilled by that super-spreading event in Westport, Connecticut--and things are going to get a lot worse before they start to get better.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kalvado

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 25, 2020, 02:50:33 PM
Quote from: kalvado on March 25, 2020, 03:34:34 AM
Quote from: J N Winkler on March 25, 2020, 01:54:08 AMThe daily death toll from the virus in the US has been 100 or greater for three days running.  Although we are locking down, I do not expect to see it back under 100 for at least two months, maybe three.

And that is 1% increase over the normal average. Probably at least somewhat offset by decrease in road deaths, which are normally about 100 daily as well.

All of that is true.  My concern is that deaths are still on an upward trajectory and will remain so for some time after the various lockdowns start to bite.  And even with the limited testing we are doing, there are still about 62,000 confirmed cases (disproportionately sampled from the more serious ones) and the number is still doubling every two days or so, so there are going to be plenty of new cases to feed the beast.

The rate of growth in confirmed cases in Italy has been under 10% for the past three days, and although daily deaths have not been dropping monotonically, the daily increase in total deaths is also slowing down and was 10% over the last 24 hours.

My thinking is that New York is on a similar trajectory, for similar reasons--northern Italy had the super-spreader who went to a football game, and NYC has been bedevilled by that super-spreading event in Westport, Connecticut--and things are going to get a lot worse before they start to get better.
Of course, worst is still to come. But it is projections and trends which make me pani feel uncomfortable. Present US numbers - well, color me unimpressed.

Scott5114

Norman, OK is under a shelter-in-place order, leaving only permitted to go to the grocery store, on an odd-even schedule much like water rationing (addresses ending in an odd number can only go to the grocery store on odd-numbered days).

This is going to be interesting if it continues much longer, since it will begin to overlap with Oklahoma tornado season.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 25, 2020, 02:47:43 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 25, 2020, 01:38:52 PM

The regular bread with hot dogs was incredibly common among older generations in Metro Detroit in the 1980s.  A lot of people way more frugal if they grew up before World War II and would buy almost everything on bargain basement prices.  I remember people would try to make things like clothes and furniture last as long as possible.  My Grandpa's couch was apparently close to 35 years old when we tossed it since it was mummified in plastic which preserved it like an Egyptian Pharaoh.  Getting by with what you can and making things last definitely isn't the forte of many recent generations. 

I always use regular bread for hot dogs because by the time I feel like eating six hot dogs the buns will have gotten moldy. I can use the bread faster because it can be used for more things.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bing101

LM117

VA and NC governors are being pressured to issue stay-at-home orders. So far, they've been reluctant to do it.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

bandit957

Quote from: LM117 on March 25, 2020, 05:22:41 PM
VA and NC governors are being pressured to issue stay-at-home orders. So far, they've been reluctant to do it.

So the media pressure increases.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

sprjus4

I'd say give it a few days. With Northam pressing down on more restriction, I can see him issuing the order as the next step. Pressure worked the first time, it will work again.

LM117

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 25, 2020, 06:23:25 PM
I'd say give it a few days. With Northam pressing down on more restriction, I can see him issuing the order as the next step. Pressure worked the first time, it will work again.

Agreed. In NC, Cooper is being pressured by doctors and hospitals. Several cities and counties in NC have already issued stay-at-home orders, so he'll probably cave as well.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Max Rockatansky

I'm looking at making a run up to the New Idria Mine for some off the grid "social distancing"  in a long abandoned ghost town.  So far I'm in talks with two people bring to take individual vehicles up there which probably would be helpful given the road might require someone carry a winch.  I figure at this point that is about safest bet to get some recreation in that isn't going to piss off the world outside the darkest corners of the Mojave Desert.  Personally I'd rather deal with mercury laden streams and naturally occurring asbestos than sitting around reading constant news headlines. 

US 89

Yesterday the state of Utah delayed all non-essential surgeries by at least a month. Today, Summit County has issued a full stay-at-home order with exceptions for essential services, becoming the first jurisdiction in Utah to do so. I'm hoping none of the Wasatch Front counties do anything similar until after this Friday, as I'm planning to clinch a few remaining roads in the SLC metro area on that day.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US 89 on March 25, 2020, 06:46:21 PM
Summit County has issued a full stay-at-home order with exception for essential services, becoming the first jurisdiction in Utah to do so. I'm hoping none of the Wasatch Front counties do anything similar until after this Friday, as I'm planning to clinch a few remaining roads in the SLC metro area on that day.

Would that actually even stop you from doing that?  Most of these orders coming out don't necessarily would stop the concept of road clinching provided you didn't interact with anyone. 

bugo

Some Kansas City barbecue joints use plain white bread instead of buns.

bugo

They need to stop giving hurricanes human names. The name Katrina has been ruined for a couple of generations because of the hurricane.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bugo on March 25, 2020, 07:14:17 PM
They need to stop giving hurricanes human names. The name Katrina has been ruined for a couple of generations because of the hurricane.

My name (David) was retired in 1979. Many names have been retired, and they haven't gone away.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

US71

Quote from: 1 on March 25, 2020, 07:17:08 PM
Quote from: bugo on March 25, 2020, 07:14:17 PM

My name (David) was retired in 1979. Many names have been retired, and they haven't gone away.

Camille has also been retired.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

J N Winkler

Kansas still doesn't have a statewide lockdown, but my county (Sedgwick) has had one since midnight last night.  I went out to wash the cars--it was sunny and warm (almost 80° F), so it was time to get rid of the last bits of salt residue clinging to the underbodies.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

US71

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 25, 2020, 07:53:14 PM
Kansas still doesn't have a statewide lockdown, but my county (Sedgwick) has had one since midnight last night.  I went out to wash the cars--it was sunny and warm (almost 80° F), so it was time to get rid of the last bits of salt residue clinging to the underbodies.

Arkansas doesn't either. Pulaski County (Little Rock) seems to have it worst so far

bandit957

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 25, 2020, 06:48:15 PM
Would that actually even stop you from doing that?

No. I went to Cincinnati today, and I noticed nobody cares that Ohio is under martial law.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

wxfree

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 17, 2020, 05:26:30 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on March 17, 2020, 05:16:22 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 17, 2020, 05:00:35 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 17, 2020, 12:42:20 PM
I think we should be able to use some common sense. [...] People who are at risk should minimize their risk. Those who are in contact with them should use common sense and their own good judgment about public interactions. But don't restrict the rest of us who aren't in those positions.

The problem is that the American public is full of selfish assholes who will do whatever they want without thinking about the consequences for anyone else. You would know better than to visit your elderly father and risk giving him the virus. There are people who would be like "This whole coronavirus thing is overblown, there's no way I could have it, I'm gonna go see Dad!" and end up murdering him with their own stupidity.

Hit the nail right on the head. Comment sections all over the internet are full of these specimens.

Murder is a tad strong sentiment. That's the extremism I'm starting to see out of the general populace and that has real potential to be an incredibly dangerous mindset.  .

Murder is a strong term for that kind of situation, but the Department of Justice is saying that people who intentionally spread the virus may be charged with terrorism.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/politics/coronavirus-terrorism-justice-department/index.html
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

US71

Quote from: bandit957 on March 25, 2020, 08:13:09 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 25, 2020, 06:48:15 PM
Would that actually even stop you from doing that?

No. I went to Cincinnati today, and I noticed nobody cares that Ohio is under martial law.

Their funerals

jeffandnicole

https://www.nj.com/news/j66j-2020/03/30325b74141230/these-traffic-cams-and-new-stats-show-how-eerily-empty-nj-roads-are-at-rush-hour.html

QuoteIn less than two weeks coronavirus has obliterated the rush hour traffic that commuters love to hate.

Drivers have noticed it, traffic cameras have documented it and Inrix, a company that tracks global traffic statistics has confirmed it. An Inrix report said traffic dropped by 30% nationally by March 20. That figure was higher in the New York area where traffic has dropped 43%.

A positive side is that commercial traffic, specifically trucks hauling toilet paper and other needed groceries has remained "flat"  with no declines.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.