News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Coronavirus pandemic

Started by Bruce, January 21, 2020, 04:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on June 17, 2020, 11:26:20 AM
Quote from: webny99 on June 16, 2020, 11:47:24 PM
Quote from: oscar on June 16, 2020, 11:37:02 PM
Quote from: webny99 on June 16, 2020, 11:29:45 PM
It might ultimately come down to whether the 2-week quarantine upon arrival is still in effect
Which state's? Hawaii? Alaska? New Mexico (for air travelers only)?
Minnesota. Some friends went last week and decided to drive because they couldn't stay the (supposedly) required 2 weeks after air travel. However, I'm having trouble finding an official answer online as to whether that requirement ever was, or still is, in place.

I can find no record of Minnesota or New York having issued such a restriction.

Well, that's why I included that last sentence. Just to be clear that this was based on hearsay and not anything official.

kphoger

That is, however, quite a drastic change to one's travel plans based on hearsay.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on June 17, 2020, 03:36:17 PM
That is, however, quite a drastic change to one's travel plans based on hearsay.

Well, I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it, since who knows if we'll end up traveling at all?

I guess all I'm saying is, if the idea of traveling to Minnesota ever starts turning into an actual plan to travel there, whether there's a 2-week quarantine requirement will be a major factor.

TheHighwayMan3561

We have no such quarantine restrictions.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on June 17, 2020, 03:43:54 PM

Quote from: kphoger on June 17, 2020, 03:36:17 PM

Well, I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it, since who knows if we'll end up traveling at all?

I guess all I'm saying is, if the idea of traveling to Minnesota ever starts turning into an actual plan to travel there, whether there's a 2-week quarantine requirement will be a major factor.

I meant your friends, who apparently decided to drive a thousand miles instead of flying, based on a restriction that didn't exist.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on June 17, 2020, 03:53:08 PM
I meant your friends, who apparently decided to drive a thousand miles instead of flying, based on a restriction that didn't exist.

Oh, gotcha. Well, I heard second-hand that that was the reason, so who knows what they actually thought?  :-D

Yeah, I really should have kept my blabbermouth shut. Live and learn.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on June 17, 2020, 04:12:31 PM
I really should have kept my blabbermouth shut. Live and learn.

Nah.

Now you know.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on June 17, 2020, 01:32:27 PM
Reading customer satisfaction surveys for our field technicians, I've seen customers who...

(a)  ...are irritated that their technician didn't wear a mask when greeting them at the door or when passing equipment back and forth over the threshold, and wish more restrictive policies were in place;

(b)  ...are irritated that their technician wasn't allowed to come inside the home to actually troubleshoot firsthand, and wish less restrictive policies were in place.

I think these are both reasonable positions to hold. If I were having Internet problems, I would be annoyed if the tech didn't both wear a mask and come in to resolve the issue. (I can troubleshoot my own router issues; if I call the ISP, it is because something is messed up on Cox's end and I have no ability to fix it.) I would imagine a tech standing at the door asking troubleshooting questions without actually accessing the hardware wouldn't be able to do much more than the first-level tech on the phone already did ("would you try rebooting the modem for me?").
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 17, 2020, 03:46:27 PM
We have no such quarantine restrictions.
Quote from: kphoger on June 17, 2020, 04:18:56 PM
Now you know.

Fair enough. Finding that much out was a nice bonus.

ftballfan

Quote from: Brandon on June 16, 2020, 08:52:04 PM
Here's an interesting site tracking hospitalizations I came across.
https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/COVIDNet/COVID19_5.html
You can even separate different groups and see the effects.

I saw (or read) something out of Italy that said that a very high percentage of their COVID deaths were in the presence of multiple other underlying conditions

CoreySamson

Well, seems I was right about my second wave prediction. Cases in Texas (and some other states) have been skyrocketing ever since the protests started.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

SEWIGuy

Quote from: CoreySamson on June 18, 2020, 11:28:11 AM
Well, seems I was right about my second wave prediction. Cases in Texas (and some other states) have been skyrocketing ever since the protests started.

In many states where there have been large protests over either the stay at home orders or the racial injustice issues, have seen very little increase.  I mean, Minnesota has seen no significant increase and they were at the epicenter.  Of course that could come in the next week or so.

States that have seen an uptick have been those who have lessened restrictions and look like they have large indoor gatherings - probably cause its too hot and people are seeking air conditioning?

I think we have seen two things come out of this.  Outdoor transmission isn't much of a worry.  Indoor transmission, where people are close to one another for extended periods of time and the air is stale, is VERY MUCH of a worry.  (Bars, nursing homes, etc.)

J N Winkler

Quote from: ftballfan on June 18, 2020, 11:11:54 AMI saw (or read) something out of Italy that said that a very high percentage of their COVID deaths were in the presence of multiple other underlying conditions

Yes.  On the other hand, there is abundant anecdotal evidence that for many young covid-19 patients without underlying conditions, recovery does not equate to 100% return to health.  You are counted as recovered even if the disease leaves you needing a double lung transplant, for example.  I am growing increasingly concerned about what we will find out when we are able to do some statistical analysis on the long-term disease burden that results from contracting covid-19 and then recovering.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

SectorZ

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 18, 2020, 11:45:43 AM
Quote from: ftballfan on June 18, 2020, 11:11:54 AMI saw (or read) something out of Italy that said that a very high percentage of their COVID deaths were in the presence of multiple other underlying conditions

Yes.  On the other hand, there is abundant anecdotal evidence that for many young covid-19 patients without underlying conditions, recovery does not equate to 100% return to health.  You are counted as recovered even if the disease leaves you needing a double lung transplant, for example.  I am growing increasingly concerned about what we will find out when we are able to do some statistical analysis on the long-term disease burden that results from contracting covid-19 and then recovering.

Young and without underlying conditions only because they're still young possibly. I'd love to know if they've been smoking (cigarettes or weed), are significantly overweight, or drink a lot. It may be that their behavior didn't catch up to them yet and Covid accelerated the timetable. It would be consistent with those older that got severely sick (almost all have underlying conditions).

SEWIGuy

For instance, the correlation of this map to the states who had the strictest stay at home orders is pretty clear.  Plus these are the states who are just emerging into summer and have less indoor transmission.

https://twitter.com/GovNedLamont/status/1273333468794159116?s=20

kalvado

Quote from: SectorZ on June 18, 2020, 11:59:35 AM

Young and without underlying conditions only because they're still young possibly. I'd love to know if they've been smoking (cigarettes or weed), are significantly overweight, or drink a lot. It may be that their behavior didn't catch up to them yet and Covid accelerated the timetable. It would be consistent with those older that got severely sick (almost all have underlying conditions).
If anything, one can easily expect covid to become just another cold virus once initial innocent immunity status is over.
Kids are having serious colds all the time, but mostly recover without a trace.

An interesting piece of data: a family who was isolated from the rest of the world for a few decades got heavily affected by... something after coming out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lykov_family
There was at least one pneumonia, and I am not sure if kidney failures were actually just that. I wouldn't be surprised if one of today's common cold coronaviruses did to them something similar to what covid is doing with the rest of us today.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 18, 2020, 12:11:54 PM
For instance, the correlation of this map to the states who had the strictest stay at home orders is pretty clear.  Plus these are the states who are just emerging into summer and have less indoor transmission.

I can see a clear north-south divide here and also an east-west divide. Always knew this was the best region of the country...
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 18, 2020, 12:58:40 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 18, 2020, 12:11:54 PM

I can see a clear north-south divide here and also an east-west divide. Always knew this was the best region of the country...

What I find interesting about this chart is that Maine is only in the yellow.

Could it be that while they're mandating 14 day quarantining for out-of-state residents, they're giving their own residents a free pass.  This free pass means after they've travelled, they're going out on the town infecting each other.

vdeane

I think that's the case for a lot of states - they figured "we don't need to do anything, it's those people from other states bringing it here that are the problem, just quarantine them", and that attitude has now come back to bite them in the rear.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Quote from: SectorZ on June 18, 2020, 11:59:35 AM

Quote from: ftballfan on June 18, 2020, 11:11:54 AM
I saw (or read) something out of Italy that said that a very high percentage of their COVID deaths were in the presence of multiple other underlying conditions

Obesity and hypertension are the top 2 "underlying conditions" in the US.  Ergo, if they're significantly overweight, then they're already not counted as "without underlying conditions".
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 18, 2020, 12:58:40 PM

Yeah, clearly the Northeast and Midwest/Plains are doing better than other regions of the country.

I said right from the beginning that Upstate NY was in the best possible situation: in a state that got hit really hard, but physically far away from the worst of the outbreak. That has been a huge advantage at every step of the way, everyone takes it pretty seriously here because of NYC. I still can't believe there's areas of the country where mask wearing hasn't become the norm.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: stormwatch7721 on June 18, 2020, 03:01:42 PM
I don't even know anymore. This is never going to get contained.

It will.  Pandemics die down.  A vaccine, even one that isn't perfectly effective, will help a lot.  Treatments are improving.  Knowledge is being gained.

kphoger

Quote from: stormwatch7721 on June 18, 2020, 03:01:42 PM
I don't even know anymore. This is never going to get contained.

Is containment really what we're aiming for?

Quote from: Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO Director-General / 11 MAR 2020
And we have never before seen a pandemic that can be controlled ...
Male pronouns, please.

US71

Fayetteville, Arkansas passed an ordinance requiring anyone outside in public should be wearing a mask. Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson has declared that cities can't have stricter rules than the state (which recommends masks, but does not require them.)

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hotdogPi

Quote from: US71 on June 18, 2020, 09:22:51 PM
Fayetteville, Arkansas passed an ordinance requiring anyone outside in public should shall be wearing a mask. Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson has declared that cities can't have stricter rules than the state (which recommends masks, but does not require them.)

Masks don't need to be required when just going out for a walk.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.