News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Largest BGS in Your Area

Started by SignGeek101, January 15, 2015, 11:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

Some of Ontario's larger signs:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

machias

Quote from: jakeroot on January 16, 2015, 06:13:10 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 16, 2015, 01:13:22 PM
Albany:

As much as I don't like diagrammatic signs, I really like the way the right split is signed (with an additional lane forming on the left after the split towards 87)

Also, why do the signs have a "mounting plate" à la UK motorway signs?

The mounting plate is actually backlighting. The signs on that installation are backlit like retail signage.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: myosh_tino on January 16, 2015, 04:40:42 AM

From the AARoads Gallery

The I-5 pull-through sign in the photo above is approximately 400 sq ft (40 ft wide by 10 ft high) and is probably one of the largest in the state (there's another pull through in Sacramento also spanning 4 lanes of traffic).  The only way there's a larger California BGS is a pull-through sign spanning 5+ lanes and I don't know of any freeway that wide.

What about two 4-lane signs on one sign bridge?

Take the road less traveled.

cl94

I grew up near Albany, so I'll steal those examples.

Now out near Buffalo, biggest is this without a doubt. But if you want to add a BWS category, this isn't too far away (from AARoads):

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

xcellntbuy

Quote from: jakeroot on January 16, 2015, 06:13:10 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 16, 2015, 01:13:22 PM
Albany:

As much as I don't like diagrammatic signs, I really like the way the right split is signed (with an additional lane forming on the left after the split towards 87)

Also, why do the signs have a "mounting plate" à la UK motorway signs?
That sign cost $1 million when it was installed in 1989.  Considered unbelievably expensive 25 years ago.

myosh_tino

Quote from: KEK Inc. on January 16, 2015, 07:17:50 PM
What about two 4-lane signs on one sign bridge?

The OP specifically said a single sign, not a group of smaller signs...

Quote from: SignGeek101 on January 15, 2015, 11:14:38 PM
What is the largest BGS (big green sign) in your area, or even perhaps you've seen? When I say largest, it could mean tallest, widest or largest area. Also, keep in mind I'm talking about one sign, not a large group of smaller signs.

With that said, both of the signs in your post are pretty close in square footage to the one I posted.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

jakeroot

Quote from: upstatenyroads on January 16, 2015, 07:13:37 PM
The mounting plate is actually backlighting. The signs on that installation are backlit like retail signage.

Mother of God. That must look pretty nuts. Never heard of such a thing.

Quote from: xcellntbuy on January 17, 2015, 12:10:37 AM
That sign cost $1 million when it was installed in 1989.  Considered unbelievably expensive 25 years ago.

That must be some sort of record. I've never heard of a sign costing so much (then again, I'm not an expert on signage costs).

SignGeek101

This one is not close to my house (a few 1000 km away)  :-D), but it's quite large. I estimate the sign to be about 6 m (20 ft) wide and 5 m (16 ft) tall for about 30 sq m (320 sq ft).

http://goo.gl/maps/JtEv1

roadfro

Current largest in Nevada is this APL sign in Reno: I-80 eastbound approaching I-580/US 395

The signs eastbound are wider than westbound due to an additional eastbound lane.

The next largest, non APL sign in Nevada is probably this sign in Las Vegas: I-15 northbound offramp to Flamingo Road

This sign is probably several feet wider and a few feet taller than it needs to be (and one could potentially argue that the sign isn't needed at all).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

OracleUsr

Can someone tell me why half these GMaps links come up as black screens?
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

hbelkins

Quote from: jakeroot on January 17, 2015, 03:24:31 AM
Quote from: upstatenyroads on January 16, 2015, 07:13:37 PM

Mother of God. That must look pretty nuts. Never heard of such a thing.

There are also some backlit signs on the WV Turnpike in the Beckley area (southbound at the 64-77 split, and northbound at the Corridor L/US 19 exit) but I have never seen them at night.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SignGeek101

Quote from: OracleUsr on January 17, 2015, 03:45:53 PM

I get the same thing often. It seems to be some weird glitch of some type. Just move Pegman to a close location and it should work normally. I don't know why it happens.

countysigns

This probably WAS our biggest BGS in the Toledo metro area:

http://tinyurl.com/kjb63te

But due to road construction on I-75 through Downtown Toledo, this sign no longer exists.

vdeane

Quote from: SignGeek101 on January 17, 2015, 08:45:44 PM
Quote from: OracleUsr on January 17, 2015, 03:45:53 PM

I get the same thing often. It seems to be some weird glitch of some type. Just move Pegman to a close location and it should work normally. I don't know why it happens.
I think it has something to do with system resources or bandwidth, given that I see it far more often at work than at home.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Tom958

andy3175

Quote from: Alex on January 16, 2015, 03:36:12 PM
This wretched assembly easily comes to mind:

Interstate 75 south approaching the split with I-275. Posted on https://www.aaroads.com/guide.php?page=i0075sefl

I hope this one gets better once the construction is complete. It seems like the lanes for I-275 should be shown underneath the I-275 shield!
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

mrsman

Quote from: myosh_tino on January 16, 2015, 04:40:42 AM

From the AARoads Gallery

The I-5 pull-through sign in the photo above is approximately 400 sq ft (40 ft wide by 10 ft high) and is probably one of the largest in the state (there's another pull through in Sacramento also spanning 4 lanes of traffic).  The only way there's a larger California BGS is a pull-through sign spanning 5+ lanes and I don't know of any freeway that wide.

With a sign this big, there is no reason why they couldn't add Los Angeles to the BGS for I-5.

For those unfamiliar, Caltrans Dist. 11 in San Diego County signs I-5 with Los Angeles as the northbound control.  Caltrans Dist. 12 in Orange County also used to sign it that way, but they now sign the control city as Santa Ana between Santa Ana and the SD County line.  So now there is a discontinuity in control city: LA-Santa Ana-LA.  It would be better if they left all the signs LA or at the very least Santa Ana / Los Angeles.  On this sign, at least, there is plenty of room for it.

Ned Weasel

Probably this one:

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.045186,-94.655596&spn=0.004783,0.010568&t=k&z=17&layer=c&cbll=39.045148,-94.65569&panoid=_buwQF05TTuM5n9lOQmUdw&cbp=12,242.56,,0,-11.97

Runner-up:

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.092216,-94.680519&spn=0.00478,0.010568&t=k&z=17&layer=c&cbll=39.09213,-94.680517&panoid=rOXCMIZhM1nXTWUdqTEOBA&cbp=12,358.97,,0,-2.38

Edit: I forgot I wasn't supposed to post multiple times in a row, so I'm merging my previous post with this one.

Quote from: andy3175 on January 18, 2015, 10:51:48 PM
I hope this one gets better once the construction is complete. It seems like the lanes for I-275 should be shown underneath the I-275 shield!

What the sign actually says is that all four lanes are for SB I-75, despite being split into two separate carriageways (such as express and local lanes), while the #4 lane is an option lane for both SB I-75 and SB I-275.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

jakeroot

Zeffy

Quote from: Tom958 on January 18, 2015, 10:06:24 PM

This is what I don't like about Georgia's "APL" signs they seem to be placing around Atlanta - unless I'm blind, the lane the car taking the photo is in is not clearly marked - are you in the straight lane, are you in the exit lane for I-20? This could be a possible candidate for Redesign This!, I already have a few solutions in mind...

Quote from: Alex on January 16, 2015, 03:36:12 PM
This wretched assembly easily comes to mind:

Same with this one. The point of APL signs is that the arrows are positioned over EACH lane! I don't see how diagrammatic signs were so confusing when these signs have arrows that don't match up to anywhere!

Construction is a wonderful thing, isn't it?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NE2

Quote from: Zeffy on January 19, 2015, 11:05:47 AM
Same with this one. The point of APL signs is that the arrows are positioned over EACH lane! I don't see how diagrammatic signs were so confusing when these signs have arrows that don't match up to anywhere!
This one is under construction...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Zeffy

Quote from: NE2 on January 19, 2015, 11:15:14 AM
This one is under construction...

Oops... :banghead: That makes more sense... the Georgia one however, still doesn't.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Eth

The Georgia sign would be fine if it were shifted to the right by about four feet, I think, but presumably they needed some minimum distance between it and the exit 248A sign.

Georgia's had issues with aligning arrows to lanes for a while now; it's certainly not a new thing with the introduction of APLs.

cl94

Quote from: Eth on January 19, 2015, 12:54:08 PM
The Georgia sign would be fine if it were shifted to the right by about four feet, I think, but presumably they needed some minimum distance between it and the exit 248A sign.

Georgia's had issues with aligning arrows to lanes for a while now; it's certainly not a new thing with the introduction of APLs.

Actually, the problem with the Georgia sign is that APLs are only allowed if there's an option lane, which this example does not have.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Eth

Quote from: cl94 on January 19, 2015, 12:57:41 PM
Actually, the problem with the Georgia sign is that APLs are only allowed if there's an option lane, which this example does not have.

GDOT appears to care not one whit about that particular rule. Apart from perhaps wasting money on unnecessarily large signs, I don't really have a problem with it, as there's no loss of accuracy or clarity (assuming, again, that the arrows are actually lined up correctly).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.