News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Calling dogs silly names

Started by bandit957, February 28, 2019, 01:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Ever notice how people always make up silly names to call their dogs? My personal favorite is "woocap."

"Aw, you wanna go outside, you little woocap? My little puppy-wuppykins wants to go outside and go poo-poo! And you're a woocap toocap, my little poocap!"

Another one is "stinkbaby." There was another one which was something like "farfignugen", which was a word that Volkswagen commercials used. I remember once, someone said to the dog, loud enough for the whole neighborhood to hear, "Aw, come on in, you little farfignugen!"

One other time, someone kept dancing around going, "The woocap, the woo! The woocap, the woo!"
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Max Rockatansky

We call our dogs "Peasants"  all the time.  I call the in-law's dog "Chuckles"  rather her real name.

I do call the dog run I built in the back yard "Dog Town."   Most people haven't picked up that it is old California slang for a shanty town populated by run down buildings and canines.  It was a popular term and community name during the mining era of California.

kphoger

oh darn i thought this was a poll
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Beltway

"Puppy Dog"

Even for large adult dogs.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

"Doggo."

Why add two letters and a syllable to a perfectly acceptable three-letter, one-syllable word?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

I call my dog "animal"  when he's misbehaving.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Flint1979

Lol. I had one of my dogs for 9 years. I was walking into a grocery store in 1998 and there was someone standing by the door giving these dogs away and said they would be put to sleep if no one claimed them. So I took one not even knowing anything about the dog or anything and already had another dog at home so I had two dogs at this point. I remember it was an all black dog except for a white streak he had on his chest. The dog was pretty cool but it started getting fat so I started calling him names like Pork Chops or Pig and stuff lol.

I know this isn't on topic here but I had an invisable fence and had a collar for this dog I'm talking about. We trained my other dog the right way with the invisable fence and that dog was fine and never tried to cross the line. I put the collar in the other dog and let him run loose inside the fence boundary. He comes up to the fence line running and runs right into it and starts yelping and jumped in the air it was hilarious actually. He never tried to cross the line again. Another thing with that dog is I trained him to shake hands and I had my other dog trained to shake hands too, anytime I would get mad at the black and white dog that dog would sit right down and lift his paw up to shake my hand lmao.

Beltway

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 28, 2019, 09:26:14 PM
I know this isn't on topic here but I had an invisable fence and had a collar for this dog I'm talking about. We trained my other dog the right way with the invisable fence and that dog was fine and never tried to cross the line. I put the collar in the other dog and let him run loose inside the fence boundary. He comes up to the fence line running and runs right into it and starts yelping and jumped in the air it was hilarious actually. He never tried to cross the line again. Another thing with that dog is I trained him to shake hands and I had my other dog trained to shake hands too, anytime I would get mad at the black and white dog that dog would sit right down and lift his paw up to shake my hand lmao.

I wouldn't put a shock collar on a dog.  I saw a video where two 160 pound men tried one on the high setting, and one of them screamed with pain and the other one rolled on the floor.  They had double or more the body mass to absorb the electricity as compared to a dog.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

kurumi

Human names work pretty well for humorous effect: "And this is my cat, Dave."

("Doggo" sounds Ozzie and just might be)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

formulanone

We try to train our dog to only listen for her name (or a similar variant), so we'll use silly/random names for training reasons. No treat for coming towards us if we say "Gizmo" or "Duckapotamous" or "Tyrrell 018".

It's tougher for her to do this when I have just come home after a week on the road, because she'll respond to anything, as an Australian Shepherd acts that any family member missing is part of a math problem she couldn't solve.

I think I want to name the next dog Gizmo, though.

abefroman329

Quote from: Beltway on February 28, 2019, 10:00:28 PM

I wouldn't put a shock collar on a dog.  I saw a video where two 160 pound men tried one on the high setting, and one of them screamed with pain and the other one rolled on the floor.  They had double or more the body mass to absorb the electricity as compared to a dog.
We had to resort to using one after we tried literally everything else when it came to bark aversion.  Positive reinforcement, negative reinforcement, redirection, a collar that emitted citronella when she barked, you name it.  Ours has adjustable shock settings and you're only supposed to keep it high enough to get the dog's attention, not shock the hell out of it.

Beltway

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 01, 2019, 08:17:48 AM
We had to resort to using one after we tried literally everything else when it came to bark aversion.  Positive reinforcement, negative reinforcement, redirection, a collar that emitted citronella when she barked, you name it.  Ours has adjustable shock settings and you're only supposed to keep it high enough to get the dog's attention, not shock the hell out of it.

Did the dog bark excessively inside the house?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

abefroman329

Quote from: Beltway on March 01, 2019, 10:35:49 AM

Yes, she did.

Beltway

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 01, 2019, 11:59:21 AM
Yes, she did.

Did you employ the shock collar inside the house?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

abefroman329

Quote from: Beltway on March 01, 2019, 02:07:36 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on March 01, 2019, 11:59:21 AM
Yes, she did.

Did you employ the shock collar inside the house?
It's a collar activated by a remote, as opposed to the one Flint describes, but yes.

cjk374

We have 3 dogs...Buddy, Oscar, and Biscuit. Well, that is how the girls address them.

For me, they all have the same first name: MANGY. Then they all have the same last name: DOG. They all answer to it.

As I have told other people before when I call them that and other "colorful metaphors", these are DOGS. They do not under any circumstances understand the English language. They are just happy when I am talking at them...unless they piss or shit in my house. Then they know I am not happy. I would rather live in a dog-free existence, but the girls will not allow it.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

oscar

Quote from: cjk374 on March 02, 2019, 06:58:36 PM
We have 3 dogs...Buddy, Oscar, and Biscuit. Well, that is how the girls address them.

I had a cat named Oscar, when I acquired him from my boss. That could not last, but she was a little unhappy when I went with the new name Punk (he liked to beat up on other cats, including my boss' other cat, so they had to be separated).

I'm definitely a cat person, so I doubt I will ever be trying to call a dog a silly name.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on February 28, 2019, 08:07:51 PM
"Doggo."

Why add two letters and a syllable to a perfectly acceptable three-letter, one-syllable word?
Because dumb memes.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 02, 2019, 09:49:12 PM
"Doggo."

Because dumb memes.

No, that would be "doge".
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on March 02, 2019, 09:52:54 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 02, 2019, 09:49:12 PM
"Doggo."

Because dumb memes.

No, that would be "doge".
oh that to
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

"Doggo."

Of course the guy who has chosen to refer to himself with only two letters would ask this question ;)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

english si

The dog in The Dam Busters has a silly name.

Quote from: kurumi on March 01, 2019, 12:35:10 AMHuman names work pretty well for humorous effect: "And this is my cat, Dave."
Giving non-silly human names to pets is silly (and therefore funny).

Silly human names (eg 'Buddy Bear' - which is Jamie 'I care about children' Oliver's son's name) are perfectly fine pet names and not funny. Nor are they funny the other way around.

Flint1979

My one dog would bark at anything that moved. My other dog would only bark if someone he didn't know was around. So I think my one dog made a pretty good watch dog because if I heard him barking I knew someone was around that the dog didn't know.

abefroman329

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 03, 2019, 10:57:23 AM

My one dog would bark at anything that moved. My other dog would only bark if someone he didn't know was around. So I think my one dog made a pretty good watch dog because if I heard him barking I knew someone was around that the dog didn't know.
I'm slightly worried about losing the barking-as-alarm fringe benefit (say, if the noise caught fire), but I'd also like her to not wake up our son from his nap every time someone does something threatening, like delivering our mail, so.

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 03, 2019, 04:24:14 AM
"Doggo."

Of course the guy who has chosen to refer to himself with only two letters would ask this question ;)

That actually wasn't my choice, really. When I was an infant, my parents started calling me by my initials, and it just stuck. I can't remember a time when I've not been referred to by initials rather than name.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.