News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

PA 183/New Schaefferstown Road Intersection Redesign?

Started by Roadsguy, June 30, 2012, 06:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

This is an odd intersection northwest of Bernville, PA. The weird part is that PA 183, which gets more traffic according to Google satellite view's thicker oil drip on it, has to turn off, and has to stop coming southbound.

I vaguely remember hearing something about PennDOT redesigning this, but haven't heard anything since.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

gotwins76

New Schaefferstown Road was PA 83 until 1960, at which point PA 83 got rerouted onto PA 183's current alignment and eventually renumbered because of the interstate. So that might go a little ways toward explaining why the intersection is the way it is-- New Schaefferstown Road traffic going south gets the right-of-way as if it were also a primary state route, even though it hasn't been for some time.

That being said, I don't know that I've heard about any PennDOT plans for the intersection. Is it that heavily traveled? I've only been on that section of 183 maybe once.

Roadsguy

It's not really heavily traveled at all, I guess. It's just a rural back road. I take it every time to get to my grandparents' house, but that's pretty much it.

Not saying it particularly needs a redesign. I just thought I heard about it a long time ago and wanted to confirm it.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.