Are there any freeways that are dangerous to travel due to crime?

Started by tribar, August 04, 2017, 12:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: myosh_tino on August 07, 2017, 02:25:43 AM
Quote from: sparker on August 05, 2017, 02:25:02 PM
Also, I-880 near the Oakland Coliseum "hosted" several incidents of what could best be described as "coordinated road rage" where either drivers or motorcycle riders would harangue other drivers on that freeway.  They had enough sense (or planning) to dissipate before Oakland police or the CHP could arrive on the scene.

I haven't heard of the "coordinated road rage" on I-880 near the Oakland Coliseum but I have seen several incidents of "sideshows" where a large group will shut down all lanes of traffic so some morons can spin their tires and do doughnuts in the middle of the freeway.

Stanley Roberts (YouTube channel "tvman1981") has done a lot of videos about those.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

dvferyance

I-270 in Columbus was dangerous like 12 years ago. No idea what it is now.

inkyatari

IN 912, or Cline Avenue as it's also known, had some incidents a few years ago, collapsing bridge notwithstanding.

(the collapsing bridge bit is hyperbole on my part)
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on August 08, 2017, 10:31:50 AM
IN 912, or Cline Avenue as it's also known, had some incidents a few years ago, collapsing bridge notwithstanding.

Well, there was the couple that drove off the end of it after the demolition.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Henry

I'm so glad I moved out of Chicago, because every freeway...ahem, expressway...has seen at least one shooting every few weeks.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

inkyatari

Quote from: Brandon on August 08, 2017, 11:02:56 AM
Quote from: inkyatari on August 08, 2017, 10:31:50 AM

Well, there was the couple that drove off the end of it after the demolition.

A couple years ago, weren't there shootings from the overpasses, and they never caught the perps?
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Chris19001

Theoretically, wouldn't any freeway with an overabundance of speeders be considered "dangerous" due to "crime"?
Sadly, there aren't a whole lot of freeways in my Philly area where one can speed very effectively.  An exception perhaps is the Northeast Extension of the PA Turnpike (I-476)

roadman

Quote from: Chris19001 on August 08, 2017, 12:40:49 PM
Theoretically, wouldn't any freeway with an overabundance of speeders be considered "dangerous" due to "crime"?

No.  Except for limited circumstances (i.e. exceeding the speed limit by more than a set amount), speeding is a civil offense, not a criminal one.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Brandon

No.  Made up "crimes" aren't really crimes.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

tribar

Sadly, there aren't a whole lot of freeways in my Philly area where one can speed very effectively.  An exception perhaps is the Northeast Extension of the PA Turnpike (I-476)

I was referring to violent crime when I made this thread. Speeding isn't a crime except in extreme circumstances.

1995hoo

Quote from: tribar on August 08, 2017, 01:46:57 PM

I was referring to violent crime when I made this thread. Speeding isn't a crime except in extreme circumstances.

Or in Virginia if you go 11 mph over the speed limit in a 70-mph zone.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 08, 2017, 08:43:13 PM
Quote from: tribar on August 08, 2017, 01:46:57 PM

Or in Virginia if you go 11 mph over the speed limit in a 70-mph zone.
I think rekless driving should be 85 at mininum.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ilpt4u

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 08, 2017, 09:12:52 PM
Reckless driving shouldn't be just about speed.

There are places and/or times where 85 can be perfectly safe

There are places and/or times when 65, 70, 75 can be reckless

Just depends how much weaving, tailgating, etc is being done

Reckless Driving should be more a combination of Speed + Driving Behavior + Conditions, IMHO

US 89

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 08, 2017, 09:49:39 PM

Reckless Driving should be more a combination of Speed + Driving Behavior + Conditions, IMHO

If you're driving in a severe blizzard, even 20 mph can be reckless. But under ideal conditions and light traffic, reckless driving really should be much higher than 80, especially since some western states have rural limits of 80.
In states like this, I would say an absolute reckless driving speed should be something more like 90-100 mph.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: roadguy2 on August 08, 2017, 10:53:21 PM

If you're driving in a severe blizzard, even 20 mph can be reckless. But under ideal conditions and light traffic, reckless driving really should be much higher than 80, especially since some western states have rural limits of 80.
In states like this, I would say an absolute reckless driving speed should be something more like 90-100 mph.
85 in east us, 95 in west us would work.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

tribar

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 08, 2017, 10:57:37 PM

No it would not. Reckless driving cannot just be some random, one size fits all speed. It has to be a certain amount over whatever the limit is plus conditions and behavior.

02 Park Ave

There was a shooting on the Bishop Ford Expressway in Chicago today.
C-o-H

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: tribar on August 08, 2017, 11:46:22 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 08, 2017, 10:57:37 PM

No it would not. Reckless driving cannot just be some random, one size fits all speed. It has to be a certain amount over whatever the limit is plus conditions and behavior.
Of course it would varie, those are just guidelines.

ilpt4u

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on August 08, 2017, 11:58:19 PM
Not celebrating the shooting...thats awful

That being said, the Bishop Ford is the one Chicago Area Expressway/Freeway that is actually official referred to as the "Bishop Ford Freeway" as opposed to the "Bishop Ford Expressway." Why that is? I have no idea

Quillz

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 09, 2017, 01:11:33 AM

That being said, the Bishop Ford is the one Chicago Area Expressway/Freeway that is actually official referred to as the "Bishop Ford Freeway" as opposed to the "Bishop Ford Expressway." Why that is? I have no idea
My guess is it would have to do with design standards. Some states don't differentiate between "freeway" and "expressway," some do. Typically, the latter would have lesser design standards (such as allowing a limited-number of at-grade intersections).

jaehak

Quote from: Quillz on August 09, 2017, 02:12:47 AM
Quote from: ilpt4u on August 09, 2017, 01:11:33 AM

My guess is it would have to do with design standards. Some states don't differentiate between "freeway" and "expressway," some do. Typically, the latter would have lesser design standards (such as allowing a limited-number of at-grade intersections).

Not in this case. For years that stretch of road was called the Calumet Expressway, then they changed it to the Bishop Ford Freeway. Nothing changed except the name.

bing101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVYfiO4FOZs

Well if you're wondering how Los Angeles became the place for dangerous crimes on freeways you would want to go back to this!

bing101

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/08/10/o-j-simpson-former-agent-try-sell-white-bronco-pawn-stars/555106001/

The vehicle that make people think about crimes on Los Angeles freeways is going to be auctioned on Pawn Stars. Yes its the OJ Simpson Bronco.

https://www.alcatrazeast.com/inside-alcatraz-east/artifacts/oj-simpson-bronco/

Update

Mergingtraffic

Actually you're quite isolated on depressed sections of urban expressway.  Think about it,  the only way out is up a ramp if there's one nearby.
In the 1980s if you broke down on I-95 in the Bronx or were stuck in traffic jams what is to stop someone from robbing you or worse? You can't drive a way. People would come down the ramps to do that. Nowadays they beg for money.

I walked the I-170 stub in Baltimore when it was closed a couple years back to get photos.  I felt sort of trapped, what if someone was also in there and saw me and wanted to commit a crime of opportunity against me?  I really had nowhere to go except run the length of the 2 mile long stub.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

JKRhodes

I-10 in El Paso is directly across the river from some sketchy looking shanty towns in Juarez, Mexico. There was quite a bit of gun violence over there several years back, to the point that there were news reports of a stray bullet striking El Paso City Hall, along with one striking a mother in the leg on the US side. I'm not aware of any vehicles on the freeway being affected, though it's still pretty scary to think about.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.