News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Shortest overlap

Started by bugo, August 20, 2017, 10:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzakharin

Not sure how long any of these are, but US 40 / NJ Turnpike and NJ 41 / NJ 154 come to mind in NJ. The NJ 47/347 concurrency too, if it exists (some signage implies that stretch is just 47. Some implies it is just 347 or a concurrency. The straight line diagrams curiously show it as neither)

Ian

According to Google Maps, the overlap between ME 119 and 124 in West Minot, Maine is a mere 160 feet.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Kacie Jane

Quote from: jakeroot on August 21, 2017, 09:35:46 PM
Northeast of Puyallup, WA, the wrong-way concurrencies of highways 167 and 161 last anywhere from .25 to .5 mile(s). It's a stretch of freeway, so I'm not sure where to draw the line in terms of which exit and entrance ramps count towards overall mileage. I'm sure there's a webpage that lists the exact length of the concurrency on WSDOT's website, but I cannot be bothered. Even considering the longest measurement, a half mile overlap has to be in the top five for Washington. Particularly interesting since it's a freeway.

WSDOT lists it as 0.72 miles, from milepost 29.15 to 29.87.  (If you ever are bothered, it's the state highway log at http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/mapsdata/roadway/statehighwaylog.htm )  That is probably measured from where the centerlines intersect.  If you want to measure just between the ramps - the distance a car is actually driving on both highways at the same time - measuring it on Google I get about 0.44 miles headed compass east (161 SB/167 NB) and 0.69 miles going the other direction.

Quillz

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 21, 2017, 06:17:51 AM
The shortest one I frequent in California (and off the top of my head I don't know if this is the shortest) would be CA 120 on US 395 for three miles.  I want to say CA 3 on CA 299 in Weaverville is just slightly longer and I'm sure that some of the multiplexes with CA 1 and US 101 (if they are actually signed) are near that mileage territory also.
I thought that concurrencies technically don't exist in California? CA-1 officially exists in pieces even though it would have "implied" concurrencies with US-101. (Although if they did legally exist, all of them are fairly lengthy). In the case of CA-3 and CA-120, I believe both exist in pieces, as mile markers reflect CA-299 and US-395.

jakeroot

Quote from: Kacie Jane on August 24, 2017, 12:19:02 AM
Northeast of Puyallup, WA, the wrong-way concurrencies of highways 167 and 161 last anywhere from .25 to .5 mile(s). It's a stretch of freeway, so I'm not sure where to draw the line in terms of which exit and entrance ramps count towards overall mileage. I'm sure there's a webpage that lists the exact length of the concurrency on WSDOT's website, but I cannot be bothered. Even considering the longest measurement, a half mile overlap has to be in the top five for Washington. Particularly interesting since it's a freeway.

WSDOT lists it as 0.72 miles, from milepost 29.15 to 29.87.  (If you ever are bothered, it's the state highway log at http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/mapsdata/roadway/statehighwaylog.htm )  That is probably measured from where the centerlines intersect.  If you want to measure just between the ramps - the distance a car is actually driving on both highways at the same time - measuring it on Google I get about 0.44 miles headed compass east (161 SB/167 NB) and 0.69 miles going the other direction.

Measured it on my phone, so pardon the inaccuracy. Thank you for the link.

Can you think of any shorter concurrencies?

Kacie Jane

Quote from: jakeroot on August 24, 2017, 12:51:54 AM

I cheated. (I probably should have been able to think of it myself, but I'll admit that I didn't.)  Page 44 of the log lists all of what WSDOT calls "coincident routes". The shortest is SR 9/530 at 0.11 miles.  They overlap for a block or so in Arlington.

I-405/SR 900 is another short freeway one; it's under a mile, but longer than 161/167.

jflick99

These are two concurrencies that are shorter than any other freeway overlap I've seen on here.

US 69's very convoluted route through Kansas City overlaps with two different highways for less than a half mile each in less than a mile. Going southbound (which actually starts out heading northwest), US 69 overlaps NB Missouri 9 for about 0.30 miles, and then it exits off of MO-9 to get onto I-635 for about 0.38 miles. Heading northbound, it overlaps I-635 for about 0.20 miles, and then is concurrent with SB MO-9 for another 0.20 miles.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1666696,-94.6247321,15.47z?hl=en

epzik8

I hear there's one in Elkton, Maryland, I think between U.S. 40 and MD-7, that's about seven-hundredths of a mile (0.07 miles).
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jakeroot

Quote from: Kacie Jane on August 24, 2017, 10:14:44 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 24, 2017, 12:51:54 AM

I cheated. (I probably should have been able to think of it myself, but I'll admit that I didn't.)  Page 44 of the log lists all of what WSDOT calls "coincident routes". The shortest is SR 9/530 at 0.11 miles.  They overlap for a block or so in Arlington.

Geez, that's a short one! Good find (even if you cheated).

Quote from: Kacie Jane on August 24, 2017, 10:14:44 PM
I-405/SR 900 is another short freeway one; it's under a mile, but longer than 161/167.

I had no idea that 900 was routed along the 405. I thought it followed Park Drive, and then Logan Ave. Obviously not the case. Even looking at Google Maps would have told me that.

Looking at a map, though, I have to wonder why they didn't keep 900 along Sunset Blvd. Seems like a more obvious routing.

WNYroadgeek

NY 36 and NY 408 overlap for 262 feet in Mt. Morris: https://goo.gl/maps/A3XPMe6vGjK2

Max Rockatansky

Encountered a small overlap on my current trip with M-26 jumping onto US 41 for about .3 miles over the Portage Lake Lift Bridge.

hotdogPi

Found a new one: MA 123 and MA 140 in Norton.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

7/8

Highway 8 and 23 overlap for about 190 metres (~ 0.11 miles) in Mitchell, ON

Also, NY 33 and 98 overlap for about 170 metres (~ 0.11 miles) in Batavia, NY

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on September 04, 2017, 11:14:23 AM
Found a new one: MA 123 and MA 140 in Norton.

So short that the traffic signals at each intersection operate as one, fully in sync with each other.

cl94

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on August 25, 2017, 11:27:37 PM
NY 36 and NY 408 overlap for 262 feet in Mt. Morris: https://goo.gl/maps/A3XPMe6vGjK2

Don't quote me on this, but I think this is the shortest overlap in the state that is not within the confines of a single intersection. The overlap between NY 5 EB and NY 16 SB appears to be 50-100 feet longer.

Quote from: 7/8 on September 04, 2017, 11:36:41 AM
Also, NY 33 and 98 overlap for about 170 metres (~ 0.11 miles) in Batavia, NY

The entire overlap consists of a bridge across Tonawanda Creek. NY 5B/12B SW of Utica is about the same length.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

fillup420

The intersection of US 220 and US 250 in Monterey, VA doesn't quite line up. The streets of 220  are offset by about 15 ft. Its not signed as an overlap, but I like to think it counts.

shadyjay

How 'bout the only time I-91 and US 5 are overlapped... for about 1000' SB and 1300' NB in Springfield, MA...

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0781474,-72.5788762,17.4z

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.