News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-391 Chicopee to Holyoke sign update

Started by roadman, January 16, 2020, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

On December 7th, a project (MassDOT Project # 608575) was advertised to replace and update the signs and most structures on I-391 between I-91 in Chicopee and the end of the freeway at Commercial Street in Holyoke.

Of special note is that this project will also replace the 'orphan' button copy signs and structures on MA 33 in Holyoke and South Hadley.

The bid opening is scheduled for Tuesday, April 14th at 2 pm.  Bid documents are not yet available.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

The Ghostbuster

Are the new signs going to maintain the existing exit numbers, since it has already been determined that the DOT will not change them in the upcoming sequential-to-mileage-based exit renumbering plan?

Alps

Quote from: roadman on January 16, 2020, 10:38:01 AM
On December 7th, a project (MassDOT Project # 608575) was advertised to replace and update the signs and most structures on I-391 between I-91 in Chicopee and the end of the freeway at Commercial Street in Holyoke.

Of special note is that this project will also replace the 'orphan' button copy signs and structures on MA 33 in Holyoke and South Hadley.

The bid opening is scheduled for Tuesday, April 14th at 2 pm.  Bid documents are not yet available.
That leaves us nearly 3 months to break in and steal them.

roadman

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 16, 2020, 03:44:09 PM
Are the new signs going to maintain the existing exit numbers, since it has already been determined that the DOT will not change them in the upcoming sequential-to-mileage-based exit renumbering plan?

That is correct.  New signs will use the current exit numbers.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

RobbieL2415

Could they also resurface it?  It's in rough shape.

bob7374

MassDOT has posted the bids for the I-391 sign replacement project. The lowest bid was, surprise, by Liddell Bros. at $2.93 million as compared to Northeast Traffic Control at $2.98 million and RoadSafe Traffic Systems at $3.54 million.

Prior to the bid opening on 4/14, a new set of revised sign plans was posted on the CommBuys bid solicitation page. I speculated perhaps this was because there was a late decision to scrap the planned continuation of the sequential exit numbers for I-391 and go with milepost versions. This was not the case, however. I did go ahead and downloaded most of the plans and have posted images of some of them, like this for the southbound MA 141 exits:

on my I-391 exit lists page: http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i391exits.html

bob7374

According to the MassDOT project listing, the notice to proceed for the I-391 sign replacement project was given on May 28.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.