News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Route numbers that could be speed limits

Started by hotdogPi, January 28, 2015, 03:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geek11111

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 02, 2023, 12:04:32 AM
I-95 along the Jersey Turnpike could definitely handle 95 mph, as well as sections in Florida and near the NC/SC border.

I-80 in NJ could reasonably be 80 mph

87 mph on I-87? Fine with me. But that's not a 5, so 90 mph on I-90 will have to do.

95mph on NJTP???
Ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Dlaoooooooooooooooooooooo

MultiMillionMiler

Easily. One of the widest roads ever with 10+ mile straight sections.

dlsterner

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 02, 2023, 12:04:32 AM
I-95 along the Jersey Turnpike could definitely handle 95 mph, as well as sections in Florida and near the NC/SC border.

I-80 in NJ could reasonably be 80 mph

87 mph on I-87? Fine with me. But that's not a 5, so 90 mph on I-90 will have to do.

What about your proposal for a nation-wide (or was it world-wide?) 37 mph limit on non-limited access highways?  Sadly, there is no US 37, but plenty of state route 37s.  Would those qualify in the MMM universe?    :poke:

formulanone

AL 5 - too slow
AL 10 - same
AL 15 - too slow, but in-town route
AL 20 - very slow
AL 25 - slow
AL 30 - slow
AL 35 - makes sense in some towns in goes through
AL 40 - slow but not unheard of in the uphill portions
US 45 - slower, but makes sense in some towns
AL 50 - ok, could be higher
AL 55 - ok
AL 60 - ok
AL 65 - a bit too fast for most sections
I-65 - a bit too slow for some sections, but doable
AL 70 - too fast for its length
AL 75 - a little too fast, unless it's a completely empty road
US 80 - maybe in a few empty four-lane sections, not likely
AL 85 - too fast for a two-lane road
I-85 - possible but not a great idea
US 90 - not happening
AL 95 - no
AL 100 - small intra-city route, bad idea even if in km/h

MATraveler128

I'll try Maine since no one has done it yet.

ME 5 - No unless the tourists are coming home on a summer Sunday
ME 10 - Nope
ME 15 - Definitely not
ME 25 - Ditto as the others
ME 35 - Absolutely. In fact it's posted at 35 in Kennebunk.
ME 85 - Too short
I-95 - Only north of Bangor
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

jp the roadgeek

A couple more to add to the CT list:

5: Way too slow

10: Given the traffic sometimes on Queen St in Southington, you would think that was indeed the limit on that stretch.  But in reality, too slow.

15: Maybe if you added a 1 before it you'd have one that was appropriate (especially for David Letterman). 

84 for I-84 works except through Danbury, Waterbury, and the Hartfords. And 91 works for I-91 between the New Haven city line and I-691; and between Windsor and the MA line (and to the Forest Park curve a couple miles north).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

cockroachking

New York:
15 - Absolutely not
20 - Maybe in the circle in Avon, but anywhere else would be silly at best.
25 - Already exists
30 - Already exists
35 - Already exists
40 - Already exists
45 - Already exists
50 - The section of NY-50 from NY-146A to CR-59 would be a good candidate for a 50mph speed limit.
55 - Already exists
60 - Most of the 55mph sections of NY-60 could easily handle 60mph (not possible under current NYS law, but certainly possible in states that would allow it)
65 - Nowhere on NY-65 is really capable of a 65mph speed limit (under any circumstances, since obviously it isn't possible under current NYS law), though there are a few small straightaways where it could be done safely.
70 - No chance of NY-70 ever being posted at 70
75 - The southern portion of NY-75 may be fairly straight, but it is nowhere near flat enough to even consider something silly like this.
80 - Maybe in km/h on NY-80, since there are plenty of not-so-straight sections of 55mph
85 - Some people might do 85mph on the freeway section, but that would be pretty reckless
90 - I would support it on I-90, but politicians sure won't. Conversely, NY-90 has some sections safe to drive at 90 km/h.
95 - The original speed limit on the New England Thruway was 60 mph, which is roughly 95 km/h.
100 - I have driven 100 km/h on NY-100 from Millwood to Hawthorne (thanks to rush hour traffic).
105 - Absolutely not
110 - Absolutely not
115 - Absolutely not
120 - Absolutely not
125 - Absolutely not
130 - Absolutely not
135 - It's a freeway on Long Island, so of course people go 135 km/h  :biggrin:

GaryA

One more for California:

CA-25: quite slow for the current route, but 25 MPH may have been the posted limit when it was routed through downtown Hollister.

(CA-30 has been replaced by CA-210, but its original surface street routing had residential sections that could have been posted at 30 MPH.)

jlam

Colorado:

CO 5 - Only in MMM's world around those dangerous curves
CO 10 - dear god no
CO 15 - Too straight
I-25 - No
CO 30 - If Aurora grows larger, probably
CO 35 - Absolutely
CO 40 - Sure
US 40 - In the mountains and Denver, makes sense
CO 45 - Posted in its majority
US 50 - yes
CO 55 - Definitely
CO 60 - Much better than it currently is in Milliken
CO 65 - Too curvy
I-70 - Possible, but not a great idea in the mountains
CO 75 - Too fast for its use
US 85 - I can see it happening, but probably not
CO 90 and up - Absolutely not

formulanone

Quote from: jlam on February 06, 2023, 05:01:21 PM

It's posted as 75 near Grand Junction but 65 in the curvy mountainsides just east of it.

Roadgeekteen

Some of you guys are being a bit too extreme with some of these ideas. posting 90-95 on any freeway besides like a few stretches out west is way too fast. Like the NJ Turnpike should not be speed limit 95.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

formulanone

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 06, 2023, 08:43:02 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 06, 2023, 08:30:24 PM
Some of you guys are being a bit too extreme with some of these ideas. posting 90-95 on any freeway besides like a few stretches out west is way too fast. Like the NJ Turnpike should not be speed limit 95.

It could be 120. It's one of the best roads in the northeast. Out west should be unlimited. 90-95 mph is a reasonable safe crusing speed on the Jersey Turnpike.

Speed limits have rarely been raised by more than 5-10 mph at a time. It's a complete fantasy to expect a route will suddenly go from 65 to 90 just because it's straight enough. Unless some new advances in transportation safety and technology makes huge leaps in dramatically lowering road accidents, injuries, and fatalities, you will not see speed limits get increased by large leaps without some sort of public backlash.

Enough already.

formulanone

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 06, 2023, 09:00:08 PM
Karens backlashing shouldn't dictate road rules. After driving that road dozens of times I can confirm traffic flow averages around 90 mph when traffic is light. No major advances in driving technology need to be made, just so you don't lose control on a road that's straight for 120 miles.

Except most passenger car accidents at 100+ mph are not survivable. We were on a downtrend on fatalities and then it all bounced back right around the time more than 50% of the population got a cellphone/smartphone. And you really think 120mph drivers should be mixing it up with drivers who are legitimately interested in only going 65-75?

Dude, just buy some track time and see if you don't almost shit yourself at least once.

Ketchup99

Pennsylvania:

PA-5: no
PA-10: no
US-15: no
US-20: seems fine in places like North East
PA-25: sure, in some of the towns
US-30: ditto
PA-35: yeah, on bits in and around Mifflintown
US-40: some bits, e.g. Claysville, would be ok
PA-45: already posted at 45 near State College
PA-50: some of the hillier, twistier portions would be alright at 50
PA-55: doesn't exist
PA-60: no, it's in Pittsburgh, but it used to be a freeway where 60 would be very reasonable
PA-65: some bits near the North Shore would be fine at 65
I-70: lots of it already is (on the Turnpike)
PA-75: I've definitely done 75 on this road, there's a lot of wide open empty stretches in south-central PA
I-80: most of it please and thank you
PA-85: too curvy
I-90: like if you're wild sure? I don't think it would be egregious
I-95: no.

zachary_amaryllis

Colorado:

I-25 - No

CO 90 and up - Absolutely not

At times up our way, yes. I have been in life-changing traffic through the construction. I only go to Denver maybe once a month, so when I do, I take 66.

85 on 85 could work north of Nunn. The next anything remotely resembling anything, is Rockport, which, the last time I was by it, was a broken soda machine in front of an abandoned bar.

For 90 and above, I'll go into the fantasy zone.
CO 125: There's some good, straight, long sections both north and south of Walden where it could work.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: formulanone on February 06, 2023, 07:43:17 PM

It's posted as 75 near Grand Junction but 65 in the curvy mountainsides just east of it.
Coming down from the EJT, that's more or less what everyone's doing anyway.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

TBKS1

AR 25 I think has a 25 MPH speed limit somewhere
I-30 - no chance lol
AR 35 has multiple 35 MPH speed limit sections
I-40 - literally no chance
AR 45 at 45 MPH probably exists
AR 50 at 50 MPH may exist but I think almost the entire route is signed at 55 MPH instead
I-55 I think has a 55 MPH speed limit in West Memphis but I could be wrong
AR 60 - Does not exist (I don't think)
US 65 has multiple sections at 65 MPH, south of Pine Bluff and north of Harrison and the concurrencies with I-40
US 70 (I think) has a 70 MPH section along the Hot Springs bypass IIRC
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

mgk920

I believe that Chicago Police have already written numerous speeding tickets on IL 50 (Cicero Ave).  Illinois route number shields look a LOT like USA MUTCD speed limit signs.

Mike

kphoger

Quote from: mgk920 on March 15, 2023, 12:54:39 AM
Illinois route number shields look a LOT like USA MUTCD speed limit signs.

Sure do!  I tell you, this assembly made me do a double-take the first couple of times I drove past it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

paulthemapguy

I believe that Chicago Police have already written numerous speeding tickets on IL 50 (Cicero Ave).  Illinois route number shields look a LOT like USA MUTCD speed limit signs.

Mike

Anyone who agrees with me that Illinois should spice up the design of their state highway marker is all right by me!!
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

webny99

If it wasn't for truck traffic, I-90 could absolutely be 90 mph. (This applies to most of the route, but I'm thinking specifically about the NYS Thruway portion).

mgk920

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 16, 2023, 09:54:43 AM

Mike

Anyone who agrees with me that Illinois should spice up the design of their state highway marker is all right by me!!

Ditto next door Indiana (although I'd be much more open to adopting the 'Red Circle' style of speed limit signage).

Mike

Road Hog

Depending on the time of day, you can go 75 on US 75 from Woodall north. Once you cross the Grayson County line, that is the actual posted speed. In the metro it's posted as 70.

jaehak

When I was I n high school this girl I was dating got on I-35 in KC and started driving super slow. I asked her why and she said "Speed limit is 35"   :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.