What state posts the worst control cities? The best?

Started by Roadgeekteen, April 13, 2021, 10:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Pennslyvania is pretty bad with its obscure towns on I-80. For best, I like Arizona's control cities (although Yuma could be used).
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SkyPesos

I generally like states that post large cities (and out of state locations if needed) instead of every small town on the way, so for that, I think Ohio's control cities are pretty good, at least on the interstates. The state also doesn't really use secondary control cities as much as I've seen in other states on the 2di; they stick to the primaries. Here's my opinion on Ohio's control cities, and what I think could be changed, on 2di interstates and non-interstate expressways/freeways in the state from the Fixing Control Cities thread:
Quote from: SkyPesos on March 29, 2021, 10:52:13 PM
Ohio's 2di control cities are generally pretty good, and what you would expect.
I-70: Indianapolis, Dayton, Columbus, Wheeling (No changes)
I-71: Louisville, Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland (No changes)
I-74: Indianapolis, Cincinnati (No Changes)
I-75: Lexington, Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo, Detroit (No changes)
I-76: Lodi, Akron, Youngstown, Pittsburgh
- I would change Lodi west of Akron to Columbus. Even though I-76 doesn't physically go to Columbus, most of the traffic on I-76 west of Akron are going to turn onto I-71 south, which heads to Columbus.

I-77: Marietta, Canton, Akron, Cleveland
- Marietta could be changed to Parkersburg, as the latter city is larger and only 10 miles south of Marietta.
- Between Marietta and Canton, I've only seen Marietta and Cleveland used as controls, notably at the I-70 interchange. I think Canton could be used NB until you get to Canton, then Akron, then Cleveland. The SB control cities are like this in the reverse order.

I-80: Chicago, Toledo, Cleveland, Youngstown, NYC (No changes)
- I've seen people complain about NYC as a control in Ohio, but what other notable large city is in PA and NJ between Youngstown and NYC on I-80? State College? nah

I-90: Chicago, Toledo, Cleveland, Erie (No changes)
- Minor nitpick, Erie could be printed as either 'Erie PA' or just 'Erie', instead of 'Erie Pa' that's currently in use.

I'm fine with the new signage that lack control cities on I-270 and I-275, as I find control cities on beltways somewhat confusing. Control routes could be used on I-270 however, like what I-275 does, if people want some sense of direction.

Will add US and State route freeways here later.

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 30, 2021, 10:14:58 AM
Currently, it seems like that Ohio likes to use every county seat as controls on US route and State route freeways. Every county seat is good for 2 lane roads, but for expressways and freeways, I think they should be treated to just a level below the standards as 2di interstates. Here's my opinions on more spaced out control cities that are more useful for long-distance drivers

OH 161/16: Columbus, Newark, Coshocton
- First of all, remove Columbus as a WB control city on the OH 16 split from the freeway and give it to the freeway continuation. No one is going to use the 2 lane OH 16 over the freeway to Columbus from Granville; it's not even one of the route options on Google Maps.
- With Columbus used on the freeway, New Albany could be removed or signed as a secondary.
- East of Newark, the only real option is Coshocton.
- This ties into my fictional idea to swap 161 and 16 west of Granville, to keep a single route number and exit number sequence on the whole freeway section. Because 161's western terminus is west of 16's, currently, the mileposts and exit numbers drop down from where 161 ends and 16 continues the freeway, causing some duplicated exit numbers on the freeway. Two of the digits are the same, so white-out should be adequate for turning 161 signage to 16  :-D

US 23/OH 15: Portsmouth, Chillicothe, Columbus, (Delaware), (Marion), (Findlay), Toledo
- For the section south of I-270, Bye Circleville, Bye Piketon
- I placed Delaware in parenthesis as I think it's better than Toledo for NB 23 at the I-270 interchange. It's a busy 4 lane arterial between Columbus and Delaware, and traffic to Toledo also have the option to use I-71 then switch to US 36 and US 23 at Delaware. For SB, Delaware isn't necessary.
- Marion could be used too for its size, and home to an Ohio State regional campus, but it's close to Delaware, and not on any major junctions.
- Findlay could be added in for NB, as it's where OH 15 meets I-75 and is a sizable city. I chose to not include it though.

US 24: Ft Wayne, Toledo
- For a US route that's really important for long distance travel (part of the shortcut for I-69 between Ft Wayne and Pt Huron), it really shouldn't have any in-state control cities west of Toledo. So goodbye Defiance and Napoleon.

US 30: Ft Wayne, Lima, Mansfield, Canton
- Ft Wayne, Mansfield and Canton are no-brainers
- Lima isn't on US 30, but it's the only sizable city between Ft Wayne and Mansfield and is close to the junction with I-75, so I chose it.
- East of Canton, it's no longer a freeway or expressway

OH 32: Cincinnati, Athens, Parkersburg
The almost 200 mile distance between Cincinnati and Athens may be a bit long, but there's not really any good options between them on OH 32. If Corridor D used US 50 instead of OH 32, Chillicothe would be perfect. But that's not the case. Also, Cincinnati is signed WB as a control city in Athens.

US 33: Columbus, Athens
- I have no idea what to do with the freeway portion northwest of Columbus, as it ends in Bellefontaine, but Marysville is a larger city. Could keep both, but it would be inconsistent to the rest of what I want to do here. Fort Wayne is another option, but it's a bit far as it's mostly 2 lane to there.
- Between Columbus and Athens, those two cities should be the primary controls. So bye Lancaster and Logan.
- Southeast of Athens, it's a 2 lane

US 35: Dayton, Chillicothe, Charleston
- Dayton is obvious
- Chillicothe is where US 35 meets US 23, and a people on US 35 WB heading to cities like Columbus or Detroit would turn north onto US 23 here.
- US 35 doesn't physically reach Charleston, but it's close enough and is the next point for long distance traffic, as there isn't any other major point in the middle.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 13, 2021, 11:10:46 AM
I generally like states that post large cities (and out of state locations if needed) instead of every small town on the way, so for that, I think Ohio's control cities are pretty good, at least on the interstates. The state also doesn't really use secondary control cities as much as I've seen in other states on the 2di; they stick to the primaries. Here's my opinion on Ohio's control cities, and what I think could be changed, on 2di interstates and non-interstate expressways/freeways in the state from the Fixing Control Cities thread:
Ohio's 2di control cities are generally pretty good, and what you would expect.
I-70: Indianapolis, Dayton, Columbus, Wheeling (No changes)
I-71: Louisville, Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland (No changes)
I-74: Indianapolis, Cincinnati (No Changes)
I-75: Lexington, Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo, Detroit (No changes)
I-76: Lodi, Akron, Youngstown, Pittsburgh
- I would change Lodi west of Akron to Columbus. Even though I-76 doesn't physically go to Columbus, most of the traffic on I-76 west of Akron are going to turn onto I-71 south, which heads to Columbus.

I-77: Marietta, Canton, Akron, Cleveland
- Marietta could be changed to Parkersburg, as the latter city is larger and only 10 miles south of Marietta.
- Between Marietta and Canton, I've only seen Marietta and Cleveland used as controls, notably at the I-70 interchange. I think Canton could be used NB until you get to Canton, then Akron, then Cleveland. The SB control cities are like this in the reverse order.

I-80: Chicago, Toledo, Cleveland, Youngstown, NYC (No changes)
- I've seen people complain about NYC as a control in Ohio, but what other notable large city is in PA and NJ between Youngstown and NYC on I-80? State College? nah

I-90: Chicago, Toledo, Cleveland, Erie (No changes)
- Minor nitpick, Erie could be printed as either 'Erie PA' or just 'Erie', instead of 'Erie Pa' that's currently in use.

I'm fine with the new signage that lack control cities on I-270 and I-275, as I find control cities on beltways somewhat confusing. Control routes could be used on I-270 however, like what I-275 does, if people want some sense of direction.

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 30, 2021, 10:14:58 AM
Currently, it seems like that Ohio likes to use every county seat as controls on US route and State route freeways. Every county seat is good for 2 lane roads, but for expressways and freeways, I think they should be treated to just a level below the standards as 2di interstates. Here's my opinions on more spaced out control cities that are more useful for long-distance drivers

OH 161/16: Columbus, Newark, Coshocton
- First of all, remove Columbus as a WB control city on the OH 16 split from the freeway and give it to the freeway continuation. No one is going to use the 2 lane OH 16 over the freeway to Columbus from Granville; it's not even one of the route options on Google Maps.
- With Columbus used on the freeway, New Albany could be removed or signed as a secondary.
- East of Newark, the only real option is Coshocton.
- This ties into my fictional idea to swap 161 and 16 west of Granville, to keep a single route number and exit number sequence on the whole freeway section. Because 161's western terminus is west of 16's, currently, the mileposts and exit numbers drop down from where 161 ends and 16 continues the freeway, causing some duplicated exit numbers on the freeway. Two of the digits are the same, so white-out should be adequate for turning 161 signage to 16  :-D

US 23/OH 15: Portsmouth, Chillicothe, Columbus, (Delaware), (Marion), (Findlay), Toledo
- For the section south of I-270, Bye Circleville, Bye Piketon
- I placed Delaware in parenthesis as I think it's better than Toledo for NB 23 at the I-270 interchange. It's a busy 4 lane arterial between Columbus and Delaware, and traffic to Toledo also have the option to use I-71 then switch to US 36 and US 23 at Delaware. For SB, Delaware isn't necessary.
- Marion could be used too for its size, and home to an Ohio State regional campus, but it's close to Delaware, and not on any major junctions.
- Findlay could be added in for NB, as it's where OH 15 meets I-75 and is a sizable city. I chose to not include it though.

US 30: Ft Wayne, Lima, Mansfield, Canton
- Ft Wayne, Mansfield and Canton are no-brainers
- Lima isn't on US 30, but it's the only sizable city between Ft Wayne and Mansfield and is close to the junction with I-75, so I chose it.
- East of Canton, it's no longer a freeway or expressway

OH 32: Cincinnati, Athens, Parkersburg
The almost 200 mile distance between Cincinnati and Athens may be a bit long, but there's not really any good options between them on OH 32. If Corridor D used US 50 instead of OH 32, Chillicothe would be perfect. But that's not the case. Also, Cincinnati is signed WB as a control city in Athens.

US 33: Columbus, Athens
- I have no idea what to do with the freeway portion northwest of Columbus, as it ends in Bellefontaine, but Marysville is a larger city. Could keep both, but it would be inconsistent to the rest of what I want to do here. Fort Wayne is another option, but it's a bit far as it's mostly 2 lane to there.
- Between Columbus and Athens, those two cities should be the primary controls. So bye Lancaster and Logan.
- Southeast of Athens, it's a 2 lane

US 35: Dayton, Chillicothe, Charleston
- Dayton is obvious
- Chillicothe is where US 35 meets US 23, and a people on US 35 WB heading to cities like Columbus or Detroit would turn north onto US 23 here.
- US 35 doesn't physically reach Charleston, but it's close enough and is the next point for long distance traffic, as there isn't any other major point in the middle.
I also prefer large cities, and I don't like states that refuse to post out of state cities, like California.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

thspfc

Best: Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida, Kentucky, Ohio, Tennessee, Missouri
Worst: Pennsylvania, Minnesota, California

I choose to believe that Pennsylvania's control cities are satirical.

It should be noted that control cities are easier for some states than others, because some states don't have many large cities.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: thspfc on April 13, 2021, 11:16:49 AM

It should be noted that control cities are easier for some states than others, because some states don't have many large cities.
If a state doesn't have large in-state cities, post out-of-state cities.

thspfc

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 13, 2021, 11:18:50 AM
Quote from: thspfc on April 13, 2021, 11:16:49 AM

If a state doesn't have large in-state cities, post out-of-state cities.
I agree, but sometimes that's not possible either. There are a million different scenarios with control cities. Like I've said before, control cities are a very dynamic concept, and trying to use one-size-fits-all rules is a bad idea.

roadman65

Louisiana is one that uses local than next big city except in Shreveport where they do favor Dallas over the more small ones in between unlike the rest of the state.

NC is bad with many interchanges on the same freeway using different places. One notable  place is Asheville using Hickory on I-26 and I-240 (west end), Statesville on I-240 (East end), and Black Mountain from the Tunnel Road Connector all for the same I-40 EB ramps. Then Greensboro was also used on a mileage sign east of I-26.

I-95 using various places too in NC along the stretch from Eastover to Kenly.

Illinois has the best using next major city at interstate junctions and next regional city at local freeway ramp entrances.  Chicagoland is the exception using state names though and Rockford over Madison for I-90 west from I-94.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

paulthemapguy

I'm seconding the nomination for Pennsylvania as the worst.  Nobody is on I-80 to get to Bloomsburg, PennDOT.  Shut your face.

IL is great except for the 3DI's in the Chicago area.  No one is using I-355 to get to Rockford, or to get to "the northwest suburbs".  I really wish they would call out certain suburbs instead of that dumb general "suburbs" crap they do with I-355.  "Suburbs" should NEVER be a control city.  I remember driving around the Seattle area, where they call out specific suburbs on the freeway signage, wishing Chicago's 3DI's would get the same treatment.

Maybe Delaware would be the best because it has relatively few Interstate signs to complain about.  Alaska?
The states with the best control cities are the ones who admit that Interstates are INTER-STATE...and the control city people on a highway are most interested in will often be across a state border, or even two state borders.  Ohio will even call out New York City on I-80, which I like (whereas Pennsylvania WON'T  :banghead:).

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota does this dumb shit where they post a podunk town on the intersecting road at an interchange that is different from the on-freeway control city. Like if you're turning onto northbound I-35E between 694 and the 35W merge, the posted control city at these interchanges is...Forest Lake. Why? Not only is that not a destination city, it's only a few miles away from where you are. Just put Duluth on the damn sign. Similar crap exists with Faribault on I-35 in the south metro and the slew of dumb towns used on I-90 like Jackson, Worthington, and Luverne. Hell, Albert Lea doesn't really make sense anymore because of the upgrades to US 52 and US 169/MN 60, Put Des Moines.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Oklahoma, if anything, uses too few control cities. The only in-state Interstate control cities are Oklahoma City, Lawton, and Tulsa. Everything else is out-of-state (Wichita, Dallas, Amarillo, Ft Smith, Joplin). A case could be made for some of the larger regional centers getting bumped up to control city status (like Ardmore, Chickasha, one of Elk City/Clinton/Weatherford, and Henryetta).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 13, 2021, 02:20:06 PM
Oklahoma, if anything, uses too few control cities. The only in-state Interstate control cities are Oklahoma City, Lawton, and Tulsa. Everything else is out-of-state (Wichita, Dallas, Amarillo, Ft Smith, Joplin). A case could be made for some of the larger regional centers getting bumped up to control city status (like Ardmore, Chickasha, one of Elk City/Clinton/Weatherford, and Henryetta).
Maybe Ardmore, the others are too small.

hbelkins

Kentucky's are generally good, although I'm not crazy about Fulton being used on I-69.

West Virginia's are iffy. I can understand using Huntington, Charleston, Beckley, Clarksburg, Parkersburg, and Morgantown. But Lewisburg on I-64 east of Beckley is ridiculous. Lexington, Va., would be a better choice. And instead of Bluefield south of Beckley, I'd use Wytheville, Va., since it's a major interstate intersection. On I-77 north of Parkersburg, I'd use Cambridge, Ohio (major intersection) or even one of the bigger Ohio cities like Akron or Cleveland instead of Marietta. Washington, Pa., is a good choice since it's also a major intersection.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 13, 2021, 02:49:17 PM

Weatherford and Chickasha both have state universities (Southwestern Oklahoma State and Univ of Science and Arts of Oklahoma respectively), which means they're possible destinations. Henryetta is where you leave I-40 to transition to US-75 toward Tulsa or to the Indian Nation Turnpike toward McAlester.

Elk City and Clinton are both traveler-oasis type towns that are good stopping points between OKC and Amarillo, but they're close enough to Weatherford that signing all three would be kind of pointless. Clinton and Weatherford are close enough together that you could maybe sign them "Clinton-Weatherford" (a la "Urbana-Champaign", "Bloomington-Normal", or "La Salle-Peru"); between the two of them that's 20,000 population.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 13, 2021, 03:04:42 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 13, 2021, 02:49:17 PM

Weatherford and Chickasha both have state universities (Southwestern Oklahoma State and Univ of Science and Arts of Oklahoma respectively), which means they're possible destinations. Henryetta is where you leave I-40 to transition to US-75 toward Tulsa or to the Indian Nation Turnpike toward McAlester.

Elk City and Clinton are both traveler-oasis type towns that are good stopping points between OKC and Amarillo, but they're close enough to Weatherford that signing all three would be kind of pointless. Clinton and Weatherford are close enough together that you could maybe sign them "Clinton-Weatherford" (a la "Urbana-Champaign", "Bloomington-Normal", or "La Salle-Peru"); between the two of them that's 20,000 population.
Maybe as secondary control cities.

roadman65

South Dakota was the worst as at its only two digit interstate junction had no control cities until recently.   That is for long distance travel.

Sheryl Crowe

Great Lakes Roads

I would put Indiana in the middle level. They have some good control cities, but it could be better.

For example, the Indiana Toll Road says "Chicago" and "Ohio" on every interchange sign. They could sign it as "South Bend ---> Toledo" heading eastbound and "South Bend ---> Chicago" heading westbound.

Here are some other highways that I would change the control cities to...
Interstate 65: NB- Indianapolis, Lafayette, Chicago  SB- Lafayette, Indianapolis, Louisville
Interstate 69: NB- Bloomington, Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Lansing  SB- Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, Bloomington, Evansville
Interstate 70: EB- Indianapolis, Richmond, Dayton  WB- Indianapolis, Terre Haute, Effingham
Interstate 74: WB- Champaign
US 31 north of Indy: NB- Kokomo, South Bend, Benton Harbor  SB- Plymouth, Kokomo, Indianapolis

JayhawkCO

I'd nominate Nevada for one of the best. 

I-15: Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City
I-80: Sacramento, Reno, Elko, Salt Lake City

I-11 won't always be Boulder City but it makes sense for now since it doesn't cross the border.

Chris

roadman65

For NJ I would use Allentown instead of Easton as I-78 don’t directly serve it and thus Allentown much bigger size. I would use it west of Newark and both Newark and New York EB.

I-80 I would sign Paterson to the GS Parkway and Stroudsburg, PA west of the Parkway. EB, Paterson and New York.

For I-280 west of the Oranges that has no control cities to use Parsippany- Troy Hills. EB is fine with The Oranges and Newark with Newark and Harrison in East Orange and Harrison in Newark.

I-295 should use Trenton and SB Camden to NJ 38 and Wilmington from NJ 73 southward.

I-195 is fine but remove the TO NJ 29 and TO NJ 138.

Sheryl Crowe

thspfc

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 13, 2021, 02:06:52 PM
Minnesota does this dumb shit where they post a podunk town on the intersecting road at an interchange that is different from the on-freeway control city. Like if you're turning onto northbound I-35E between 694 and the 35W merge, the posted control city at these interchanges is...Forest Lake. Why? Not only is that not a destination city, it's only a few miles away from where you are. Just put Duluth on the damn sign. Similar crap exists with Faribault on I-35 in the south metro and the slew of dumb towns used on I-90 like Jackson, Worthington, and Luverne. Hell, Albert Lea doesn't really make sense anymore because of the upgrades to US 52 and US 169/MN 60, Put Des Moines.
If anything, the main thing that I've noticed about MN is that a lot of their BGSes, even ones at major interchanges, don't have control cities at all.

Rothman

There are only two control cities:

Albany and Buffalo. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

I like Michigan's. I-69 they use Port Huron, Flint, Lansing and Fort Wayne.

I-75 they use Detroit, Toledo, Flint, Saginaw, Mackinac Bridge and Sault Ste Marie.

I-94 is Detroit, Chicago and Port Huron. Although at secondary interchanges Michigan cities are used.

I-96 uses Detroit, Lansing, Grand Rapids and Muskegon.

I don't get the use of Buena Vista for M-46 at the I-75 interchange though. You're already in Buena Vista and Saginaw is right next to it and is a much larger town. Buena Vista is a Township which is a suburb of Saginaw.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: thspfc on April 13, 2021, 04:13:54 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 13, 2021, 02:06:52 PM
If anything, the main thing that I've noticed about MN is that a lot of their BGSes, even ones at major interchanges, don't have control cities at all.

This is a major failing in the metro, for sure. The most baffling one is eastbound 94 at 494/694 in Maple Grove, the first major decision for traffic entering the metro. I hope with the ongoing rebuild/widen that the new signs in that area will have controls.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SkyPesos

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 13, 2021, 06:36:41 PM

I-75 they use Detroit, Toledo, Flint, Saginaw, Mackinac Bridge and Sault Ste Marie.

I-94 is Detroit, Chicago and Port Huron. Although at secondary interchanges Michigan cities are used.

I don't get the use of Buena Vista for M-46 at the I-75 interchange though. You're already in Buena Vista and Saginaw is right next to it and is a much larger town. Buena Vista is a Township which is a suburb of Saginaw.
Michigan also does control cities on non-interstate freeways better than Ohio does. See my rant above for Ohio's choices, like every county seat on US 35, a major trucking route between the Midwest and Carolinas. I took a look at US 23, and mostly see Toledo, Ann Arbor, Flint used. If you had ODOT sign control cities on that segment, it would go something like Toledo, Dundee or Milan, Ann Arbor, Brighton, Fenton, Flint.

Forgot to include this in my post above, here's my thought on US 24's control cities in OH:
Quote from: SkyPesos on April 01, 2021, 09:48:02 PM
I forgot a US route freeway in Ohio:

For a US route that's really important for long distance travel (part of the shortcut for I-69 between Ft Wayne and Pt Huron), it really shouldn't have any in-state control cities west of Toledo. So goodbye Defiance and Napoleon.

Flint1979

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 13, 2021, 07:03:02 PM

Michigan also does control cities on non-interstate freeways better than Ohio does. See my rant above for Ohio's choices, like every county seat on US 35, a major trucking route between the Midwest and Carolinas. I took a look at US 23, and mostly see Toledo, Ann Arbor, Flint used. If you had ODOT sign control cities on that segment, it would go something like Toledo, Dundee or Milan, Ann Arbor, Brighton, Fenton, Flint.

Forgot to include this in my post above, here's my thought on US 24's control cities in OH:

For a US route that's really important for long distance travel (part of the shortcut for I-69 between Ft Wayne and Pt Huron), it really shouldn't have any in-state control cities west of Toledo. So goodbye Defiance and Napoleon.
That is all 23 uses on its solo freeway stretch between Flint and Toledo but Brighton might make some sense although it's kind of close to Ann Arbor it's where I-96 crosses it so it's a major point on the highway. For US-35 going east of Dayton I would just use Chillicothe it's more in the middle of the state and using Xenia and Washington courthouse and stuff like that just don't make any sense.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 13, 2021, 07:17:56 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on April 13, 2021, 07:03:02 PM

That is all 23 uses on its solo freeway stretch between Flint and Toledo but Brighton might make some sense although it's kind of close to Ann Arbor it's where I-96 crosses it so it's a major point on the highway. For US-35 going east of Dayton I would just use Chillicothe it's more in the middle of the state and using Xenia and Washington courthouse and stuff like that just don't make any sense.
East of Chillicothe, Jackson and Gallipolis can be removed too. That will leave the EB direction with Charleston, which is where most vehicles would presumably turn south onto the WV turnpike towards VA and NC.

If someone is going to rank all the states for control cities, for the 'good' category that was posted above, I think Michigan would go above Ohio, which would go above Missouri.
My issue with Missouri is that they have a third control city on various places, specifically I-70 WB and I-44 WB west of St Louis. You can see either Kansas City, Columbia or Wentzville signed as a control city on I-70 WB in St Charles County. I'm fine with Columbia, as it's roughly in the middle of the 250 miles between KC and StL, and has Missouri's flagship university, but I don't get the need of Wentzville, which is increasingly appearing on new signage. I-44 WB changes from Tulsa to Rolla as you get out of the St Louis area, and you don't see Tulsa again until west of Joplin. As if Rolla isn't enough, a third control city (St Clair) is also used WB at some interchanges.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.