News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What state posts the worst control cities? The best?

Started by Roadgeekteen, April 13, 2021, 10:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 11, 2022, 02:04:14 PM
What's the problem with Missouri?
Tulsa in STL for I-44, then disappearing mostly in-state? That is about the most egregious, unless using "Illinois"  as a Control in Downtown STL for the approaches to the PSB and Stan Span bothers you

I-35

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 11, 2022, 02:07:54 PM
Tulsa in STL for I-44, then disappearing mostly in-state? That is about the most egregious, unless using "Illinois"  as a Control in Downtown STL for the approaches to the PSB and Stan Span bothers you

Wasn't the reason for Tulsa being signed over Springfield, MO in the STL metro was to avoid confusion with Springfield, IL?  Maybe that's just a myth, but at least it makes sense. 

SkyPesos

Inconsistent control cities, and that's not just with I-44 mentioned earlier. When driving I-70 WB from St Louis to Kansas City, you'll see KC at first, but then Wentzville in most of St Charles County, then Columbia and some other cities before you'll see Kansas City listed again.

andrepoiy

Ontario is also a prefer-in-province destination signer. Quebec signs "Toronto" as far out as near downtown Montreal (5 hours away), while Ontario doesn't sign Montreal until after Cornwall (1.5 hours away). Quebec signs the US border right outside Montreal, Ontario doesn't sign the US border until within a 1-hour radius of the border.

rlb2024

I always found it interesting that Illinois uses Memphis as a control city for I-57 at the junctions with I-94 and I-80 in Chicagoland, especially since I-57 doesn't go within 100 miles of Memphis.  Granted, I-57 is the primary route you would take to get from Chicago to Memphis but still . . .

ethanhopkin14

Interstate highway speaking, I don't know if I think any state is the worst or any state is the best.  It all really depends on the type of drive you are on.  If you are driving to more regional places, then the smaller/closer control cities are best, but if you are driving cross country, the bigger control cites are the best.  Personally, being someone who studies maps, most of the regional control cities I know, so no big deal there, but if I am on a long haul and I am trying to navigate big city to big city, I want the father out control cities.  I like Arizona's use of very far control cities. 

What does bother me is why AASHTO/FHWA didn't sit down and mark out the control cites so there is some consistency between the states (here is Control City A, then Control City B; there will be no Control City A.1).  It really keeps Indio, Desert Cities and Blythe being used throughout California without a mention of Phoenix. 

JayhawkCO

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 11, 2022, 05:15:46 PM
What does bother me is why AASHTO/FHWA didn't sit down and mark out the control cites so there is some consistency between the states (here is Control City A, then Control City B; there will be no Control City A.1).  It really keeps Indio, Desert Cities and Blythe being used throughout California without a mention of Phoenix.

They did.

dvferyance

I-39 Wausau NB Madison SB fine
I-41 Fond Du Lac, Green Bay NB Appleton Milwaukee SB fine. Wisdot wants Milwaukee to Green Bay traffic to use I-43
I-43 Milwaukee Green Bay NB Milwaukee Beloit SB fine
I-90 Madison, Janesville Chicago EB fine Janesville, Madison Wis Dells Tomah La Crosse WB. Now I don't like they replaced Madison with Janesville around Beloit given Janesville is close and Madison is bigger and is the capitol. The Dells is small but it is a destination. Tomah is small but I get because it runs with I-94. La Crosse is fine.
I-94 Eau Claire Madison Milwaukee Chicago EB fine Milwaukee Madison WisDells Tomah St Paul Hudson WB. I would prefer Minneapolis over St Paul since it's the bigger of the 2 twin cities or simply twin cities. Hudson are you kidding me? Why change it as you get closer to St Paul? Hudson is like a twin cities exburb.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 11, 2022, 05:17:55 PM

They did.

Yes, they did, but they also said states, it's up to you. 

SkyPesos

They did.
I like how OhioDOT just ignores an entire row (aka just silliness probably written in this list by PennDOT) and go straight to NYC from Youngstown. Shows that this list isn't strictly followed by every state.

TheHighwayMan3561

MnDOT corrected their most egregious violation, which was the complete omission of control cities on 94 coming into Maple Grove. Bloomington is important enough to get a mention on 494, but for whatever reason still doesn't.

Some people get upset that random suburbs aren't listed on signs, but one thing I noticed about MSP compared to other metros is that suburbs here seem less self-contained, so maybe there's no point to putting St. Louis Park or Woodbury on a sign.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jaehak

Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 11, 2022, 01:44:19 PM
Quote from: jaehak on July 11, 2022, 01:36:59 PM
Worst: Colorado, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, North Carolina, Missouri

Other than Limon, which has been discussed here ad nauseum, is there anything that egregious? South of Pueblo could be Albuquerque or Santa Fe I suppose, but everything else makes sense. One or two weird ones don't get lumped in with the Hazeltons, Bensons, and Lordsburgs of the world.

Limon alone is reason enough- you see signage for it on literally every Colorado interstate. When you add in Fort Morgan, inconsistent signage on east 76, Trinidad, Raton, and signing Fort Collins over Denver south out of Wyoming, you get a bottom five control city state.

interstate73

New Jersey's have started getting bad with their recent installs, pretty much just defaulting to the municipality the route terminates in no matter how little sense it makes. 280 East at Eisenhower is signed for friggin Kearny instead of, ya kno, the state's largest city that the route serves beforehand. Maybe have Newark and Kearny, but omitting Newark entirely is just heinous. Make it make sense...
🎶 Man, there’s an opera on the Turnpike 🎶

Morris County if the Route 178 Freeway had been built:

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jaehak on July 11, 2022, 09:51:03 PM

Other than Limon, which has been discussed here ad nauseum, is there anything that egregious? South of Pueblo could be Albuquerque or Santa Fe I suppose, but everything else makes sense. One or two weird ones don't get lumped in with the Hazeltons, Bensons, and Lordsburgs of the world.

Limon alone is reason enough- you see signage for it on literally every Colorado interstate. When you add in Fort Morgan, inconsistent signage on east 76, Trinidad, Raton, and signing Fort Collins over Denver south out of Wyoming, you get a bottom five control city state.

God forbid they follow AASHTO guidelines I guess.  I particularly don't understand your dislike of Fort Collins. It's the closest big city to Cheyenne. Do you dislike having Cheyenne be a control city? It has about 15% the population of the FoCo/Greeley area.

amroad17

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 11, 2022, 05:58:37 PM

They did.
I like how OhioDOT just ignores an entire row (aka just silliness probably written in this list by PennDOT) and go straight to NYC from Youngstown. Shows that this list isn't strictly followed by every state.

Pennsylvania (and New Jersey) should use these control cities...
I-80 (EB): DuBois, Williamsport, Hazleton, Stroudsburg, New York
I-80 (WB): Stroudsburg, Hazleton, Williamsport, DuBois, Sharon, Youngstown

No Delaware Water Gap should ever be used as a main control point.  A supplemental one, yes.  So, from the I-80/I-287 interchange in Parsippany, the control point for I-80 West should be Stroudsburg, PA--not Del Water Gap.

The I-376/I-80 interchange should use DuBois for I-80 East instead of Mercer.

I-95 should not have Benson (NC), Chester (PA), or even Kittery (ME) on the list.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

MattHanson939

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 11, 2022, 01:20:51 PM

At least I-25 get an El Paso or two once you get to Las Cruces. 

Also, that one oddball "ARIZONA" for westbound I-10 at the US-70 intersection in west Las Cruces.

However, El Paso makes it onto many mileage signs on SB 25 between Albuquerque and Las Cruces.  As a matter of fact, the first two mileage signs for El Paso are just north of Albuquerque.

MattHanson939

QuoteColorado, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, North Carolina, Missouri

Despite some control cites on New Mexico's interstates are pathetic, there are some control cities on its non-interstate highways that are actually excellent choices.  NM 502 going east out of Los Alamos is signed for Santa Fe, even though the highway's eastern terminus is at US 84/285 in Pojoaque (it's not a control city on either highway).  Santa Fe is the most logical choice because traffic is headed in that direction as there is nothing in Pojoaque — another podunk town and Santa Fe is much much bigger.  US 84/285 signs Española going north from Santa Fe.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: amroad17 on July 11, 2022, 10:50:47 PM

They did.

No Delaware Water Gap should ever be used as a main control point.  A supplemental one, yes.  So, from the I-80/I-287 interchange in Parsippany, the control point for I-80 West should be Stroudsburg, PA--not Del Water Gap.

I-95 should not have Benson (NC), Chester (PA), or even Kittery (ME) on the list.
Del Water Gap is used because of the lack of big cities in PA, as well as it being a recognizable landmark. Nobody has ever heard of Stroudsburg. What other options do they have? Cleveland?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SkyPesos

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 12, 2022, 01:03:42 AM

They did.

Del Water Gap is used because of the lack of big cities in PA, as well as it being a recognizable landmark. Nobody has ever heard of Stroudsburg. What other options do they have? Cleveland?
I'm still wondering why I-80 gets so close, yet bypasses State College. It could've been by far the most relevant city on I-80's route between Youngstown and the NYC metro area.

interstate73

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 12, 2022, 01:03:42 AM

They did.

I would be in support of Scranton for 80 West personally, since it's the main route between NYC Metro and the Wyoming Valley and there are many NY/NJ expats who attend college in that area. But the next city of note 80 enters the city limits of is... South Bend, Indiana. Not a whole lot of great choices going out that way since 80 does a phenomenal job of dodging any notable city it comes remotely close to!
🎶 Man, there’s an opera on the Turnpike 🎶

Morris County if the Route 178 Freeway had been built:

roadman65

I wonder why west of Scotrun, PA and all the way to Youngstown,OH it has no consistent US routes? I mean really why they did not build the freeway along the US 6 corridor between Scranton and NE OH? US 6 really was the main route across northern PA before I-80 and I'm sure it lost a lot of traffic when I-80 finally opened despite it being over 25 miles apart. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SEWIGuy

Quote from: roadman65 on July 12, 2022, 11:12:47 AM
I wonder why west of Scotrun, PA and all the way to Youngstown,OH it has no consistent US routes? I mean really why they did not build the freeway along the US 6 corridor between Scranton and NE OH? US 6 really was the main route across northern PA before I-80 and I'm sure it lost a lot of traffic when I-80 finally opened despite it being over 25 miles apart. 

Didn't Pennsylvania already have the basic I-80 route mapped out for a northern Turnpike or something like that?

jaehak

Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 11, 2022, 10:14:14 PM

God forbid they follow AASHTO guidelines I guess.  I particularly don't understand your dislike of Fort Collins. It's the closest big city to Cheyenne. Do you dislike having Cheyenne be a control city? It has about 15% the population of the FoCo/Greeley area.

Fort Collins is fine northbound, but southbound it should be Denver. It isn't that much farther, and it's much larger, more famous, the state capital, multiple interstate junctions, and more useful for long distance traffic and a much larger traffic driver. Cheyenne makes total sense as a control city, no problem with it whatsoever, but signing Fort Collins north out of Denver is the right move, as is signing Cheyenne north from FoCo.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jaehak on July 12, 2022, 01:31:09 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 11, 2022, 10:14:14 PM

Fort Collins is fine northbound, but southbound it should be Denver. It isn't that much farther, and it's much larger, more famous, the state capital, multiple interstate junctions, and more useful for long distance traffic and a much larger traffic driver. Cheyenne makes total sense as a control city, no problem with it whatsoever, but signing Fort Collins north out of Denver is the right move, as is signing Cheyenne north from FoCo.

What, out of curiosity, do you propose in lieu of Fort Morgan? I'm assuming Omaha or something of the like despite the fact that I-76 doesn't go within 350 miles of it?

hotdogPi

Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 12, 2022, 01:33:40 PM
What, out of curiosity, do you propose in lieu of Fort Morgan? I'm assuming Omaha or something of the like despite the fact that I-76 doesn't go within 350 miles of it?

I think a control state of Nebraska would be fine. Even for those intending to go to Scottsbluff, it wouldn't be an issue; from destinations where I-76 is not optimal, they wouldn't see the signs on I-76 to begin with.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.