What state posts the worst control cities? The best?

Started by Roadgeekteen, April 13, 2021, 10:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

It's basically just a shift but with using different numbered highways. I-24 is actually heading toward St. Louis but you have to use I-57 and I-64 to get the rest of the way there so therefore I don't see a problem with it being a control city. At the end it tells you to take Exit 44B which will help you. At least a sign is there telling you which way you have to go to continue toward St. Louis.

Ted$8roadFan

Similarly, Connecticut signs The control city for I-84 East from Hartford to the state line as Boston, despite the fact that the roadway ends 50+ miles from the city.

MATraveler128

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on August 16, 2022, 01:08:07 PM
Similarly, Connecticut signs The control city for I-84 East off Hartford as Boston, despite the fact that the roadway ends 50+ miles from the city.

I'd argue that the use of Boston is actually appropriate in this case. Boston is a major city and is where most people are probably headed to. It wouldn't make much sense to use Sturbridge or Worcester.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

hobsini2

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on August 16, 2022, 01:20:29 PM
Similarly, Connecticut signs The control city for I-84 East off Hartford as Boston, despite the fact that the roadway ends 50+ miles from the city.

I'd argue that the use of Boston is actually appropriate in this case. Boston is a major city and is where most people are probably headed to. It wouldn't make much sense to use Sturbridge or Worcester.
Worcester is a good enough control for 84 if MDOT went that way. But Boston was the correct choice.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

MattHanson939

D - Posts too many small towns that your average driver never heard of on interstates, doesn't post out of state control cities unless absolutely necessary
- New Mexico
- Pennsylvania PennDOT

Oregon and Colorado are other states I think need some help, though to a lesser extent than New Mexico and Pennsylvania.

In Colorado, most of the control cities out of Denver are good choices.  Within Denver, only I-70 and I-76 need help; their respective eastbound control cities ought to be changed to Topeka/Kansas City and Omaha.  I-25 south from Pueblo to the NM state line also needs help.  Pueblo is fine from Colorado Springs though I think it would be better off dual signing Pueblo and Albuquerque.  But south from Pueblo, I'd sign Albuquerque skipping over Trinidad and Raton.

In Oregon, only I-84 is the one signing a bunch of small towns as its control cites.  Boise is the next largest city on I-84 east from Portland; but it doesn't become the control city until Ontario, the last town on I-84 before crossing into Idaho.  Most of the control cities on I-5 are fine, especially with Portland being the northbound control city all the way from Ashland.

hobsini2

Quote from: MattHanson939 on September 10, 2022, 01:28:54 PM
D - Posts too many small towns that your average driver never heard of on interstates, doesn't post out of state control cities unless absolutely necessary
- New Mexico
- Pennsylvania PennDOT

Oregon and Colorado are other states I think need some help, though to a lesser extent than New Mexico and Pennsylvania.

In Colorado, most of the control cities out of Denver are good choices.  Within Denver, only I-70 and I-76 need help; their respective eastbound control cities ought to be changed to Topeka/Kansas City and Omaha.  I-25 south from Pueblo to the NM state line also needs help.  Pueblo is fine from Colorado Springs though I think it would be better off dual signing Pueblo and Albuquerque.  But south from Pueblo, I'd sign Albuquerque skipping over Trinidad and Raton.

In Oregon, only I-84 is the one signing a bunch of small towns as its control cites.  Boise is the next largest city on I-84 east from Portland; but it doesn't become the control city until Ontario, the last town on I-84 before crossing into Idaho.  Most of the control cities on I-5 are fine, especially with Portland being the northbound control city all the way from Ashland.
Colorado's biggest issue is Limon. Salina/Kansas City is what I would sign it from Denver and then Topeka/Kansas City from Salina. As for I-76, I don't have as big an issue with Ft Morgan but a combination of North Platte, Lincoln and Omaha should be used on the mileage signs in Colorado.

I disagree with I-5 South of Eugene. Roseburg? Really? At best, that's a secondary city. Same with Grants Pass but I get that one because of the junction with US 199. Medford is better. South of Medford, Redding/Sacramento.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hobsini2 on August 26, 2022, 06:52:24 PM

Worcester is a good enough control for 84 if MDOT went that way. But Boston was the correct choice.
I don't like Worcester as you have to not only get on I-90 east, you also have to get on I-290 afterwards to actually get to Worcester.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hobsini2

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 10, 2022, 03:41:45 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on August 26, 2022, 06:52:24 PM

I don't like Worcester as you have to not only get on I-90 east, you also have to get on I-290 afterwards to actually get to Worcester.
True. But it's not like Worcester is not a significant city in Massachusetts.

MattHanson939

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 11, 2022, 02:07:54 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 11, 2022, 02:04:14 PM
What's the problem with Missouri?
Tulsa in STL for I-44, then disappearing mostly in-state? That is about the most egregious, unless using "Illinois"  as a Control in Downtown STL for the approaches to the PSB and Stan Span bothers you

Here's my thinking about how Missouri signs control cities.  Within its major cities, they sign primary control cities.  But outside cities, they will most often sign secondary controls instead.  On I-70 west, Kansas City is the primary control city from St. Louis.  But at smaller interchanges, Columbia (a secondary control) is signed instead.

SkyPesos

Quote from: MattHanson939 on September 11, 2022, 07:41:52 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on July 11, 2022, 02:07:54 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 11, 2022, 02:04:14 PM
What's the problem with Missouri?
Tulsa in STL for I-44, then disappearing mostly in-state? That is about the most egregious, unless using “Illinois” as a Control in Downtown STL for the approaches to the PSB and Stan Span bothers you

Here's my thinking about how Missouri signs control cities.  Within its major cities, they sign primary control cities.  But outside cities, they will most often sign secondary controls instead.  On I-70 west, Kansas City is the primary control city from St. Louis.  But at smaller interchanges, Columbia (a secondary control) is signed instead.
Too many newer signs in St Charles County use Wentzville, unfortunately.

MattHanson939

Quote from: hobsini2 on September 10, 2022, 02:18:29 PM

I disagree with I-5 South of Eugene. Roseburg? Really? At best, that's a secondary city. Same with Grants Pass but I get that one because of the junction with US 199. Medford is better. South of Medford, Redding/Sacramento.

I just found out that Medford is the control city on I-5 north from Ashland; and from Medford, Portland becomes the control city.  But within California, Portland is the control city from Redding on I-5 north.  But yes, I agree that Medford should the southbound control city from Eugene since it's the next largest city.

US 89

Quote from: MattHanson939 on September 11, 2022, 07:53:01 PM

I just found out that Medford is the control city on I-5 north from Ashland; and from Medford, Portland becomes the control city.  But within California, Portland is the control city from Redding on I-5 north.  But yes, I agree that Medford should the southbound control city from Eugene since it's the next largest city.

Nobody has heard of Medford. Use Sacramento. </s>

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: US 89 on September 11, 2022, 11:40:47 PM

Sacramento is a bit far but I wouldn't be totally against it.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Ted$8roadFan

I would say Rhode Island's control city postings merit a B+. Major cities are posted, with Providence being the most obvious example, and Boston/Fall River/Cape Cod also appropriately posted (although "Cape Cod, MA"  seems a bit much). My only quibble is the use of "New York"  as a control city on 95 south. I get that there is a lot of interstate traffic (and many more folks from NY/NJ than in years past now have summer homes in RI). And everyone knows New York. But New London or New Haven (or even Westerly, used on some on-ramps) are closer.

Road Hog

I was in Arkansas a couple of weeks ago and I saw ARDOT added St. Louis as a control city for the I-440 junction on I-30. One of these days that sign will say Chicago and I'm all for it.

FredAkbar

Quote from: MattHanson939 on September 10, 2022, 01:28:54 PM
- New Mexico
- Pennsylvania PennDOT

Are things like this due to a preference for using control cities within that state, rather than those of another state? I've seen it mentioned that CA has a strong preference for this so perhaps other states do as well. Though that only explains Trinidad and not Raton in the CO example.

roadman65

Many states outside New Jersey don’t like to pick New Jersey cities except for I-95 out of Philly until the PA Turnpike connection which now uses New York. Trenton used to be used from I-76 north on I-95, but now I-295 still uses Trenton for only two interchanges and Princeton for the other three.

Still overall I-80 and I-78 would rather use in state places in PA before skipping right to New York. Then you have New York using the entire state of New Jersey instead of what that state has. If it were not for the feds forcing NYSDOT to remove bridges from guides as controls, we would not been getting Newark, NJ on the Cross Bronx signs.  It would be Geo Washington Br. still on I-95 or New Jersey.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MATraveler128

The short US 202 freeway in New Jersey used to only read either "Penna"  or "Pennsylvania"  as its control city. Now with a recent sign replacement project, it says "New Hope Pennsylvania" . I've never liked the use of "Del Water Gap"  on I-80. Also, I'm not sure why the AC Expressway doesn't use "Philadelphia"  as a control point at the GSP as that is where most Jersey Shore tourists are heading to. New Jersey just has bad control cities overall.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

roadman65

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on September 14, 2022, 08:19:16 AM
The short US 202 freeway in New Jersey used to only read either "Penna"  or "Pennsylvania"  as its control city. Now with a recent sign replacement project, it says "New Hope Pennsylvania" . I've never liked the use of "Del Water Gap"  on I-80. Also, I'm not sure why the AC Expressway doesn't use "Philadelphia"  as a control point at the GSP as that is where most Jersey Shore tourists are heading to. New Jersey just has bad control cities overall.

Most ramp signs for ACE use Philly though.  Even their mileage signs use Philadelphia as well.

The Garden State Parkway though has a lot to be desired even at NJ 72. It used Camden for ages, and now they changed out for Pemberton at Exit 63A.  Considering most Route 72 traffic continues to Route 70 west at the end, Camden is fine as it was. Not many, I would think, are not continuing on the county road beyond the Circle to Pemberton.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ethanhopkin14

Maybe people that live in Medford have heard of it?

ran4sh

Quote from: roadman65 on September 14, 2022, 08:01:55 AM
Many states outside New Jersey don't like to pick New Jersey cities except for I-95 out of Philly until the PA Turnpike connection which now uses New York. Trenton used to be used from I-76 north on I-95, but now I-295 still uses Trenton for only two interchanges and Princeton for the other three.

Still overall I-80 and I-78 would rather use in state places in PA before skipping right to New York. Then you have New York using the entire state of New Jersey instead of what that state has. If it were not for the feds forcing NYSDOT to remove bridges from guides as controls, we would not been getting Newark, NJ on the Cross Bronx signs.  It would be Geo Washington Br. still on I-95 or New Jersey.

Did the feds actually force the DOT to change control city signage?
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

SEWIGuy

A lot of people who use I-5 have heard of Medford. 

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Flint1979

The reasoning of that is simple. The control cities are chosen by each state. What California signs and what Oregon signs can be two different things. Using Portland in California though is kind of early IMO. I'd go with Medford, Eugene, Salem then Portland. I wouldn't use Ashland at all and use Redding for SB I-5 into California.

Flint1979

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.