News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Funniest street names

Started by J Route Z, September 15, 2014, 12:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

KG909

~Fuccboi

KG909

Quote from: myosh_tino on September 17, 2014, 02:28:19 PM
Quote from: KG909 on September 16, 2014, 08:51:45 PM
Quote from: spooky on September 16, 2014, 03:20:39 PM
Quote from: KG909 on September 15, 2014, 07:16:10 PM
And this one 

Imagine the contact high from this:
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/09/15/wildfire-in-northern-california-town-of-weed-burns-100-homes-at-least-1500-evacuated-siskiyou-county-oregon-mount-shasta-fire-interstate-5-cal-fire/
Yeah lol they're probably all super stoned right now.

Not wanting to sound like a wet blanket but I don't find what happened in Weed to be particularly funny.  People lost their homes and much of the town was devastated.  Yes, I understand the connection between the town's name and marijuana but I don't think we should be "lol"-ing or making jokes that the residents are stoned.  :no:

The affected residents only had minutes to evacuate and many of them saw their homes go up in flames right in front of their eyes.  Thank god no one died! :-(
You're right but its so common here in cali that its just not shocking anymore
~Fuccboi

myosh_tino

Quote from: KG909 on September 17, 2014, 10:04:05 PM
You're right but its so common here in cali that its just not shocking anymore

Are you talking about the wildfires or the weed jokes?  I guess the correct answer is "yes".
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Zeffy

Quote from: jbnv on September 18, 2014, 01:38:17 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Henderson,+LA+70517/@30.3087155,-91.8049782,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x86247d2476af872f:0xae3b46c218860b06 (StreetView at the intersection shows a sign with a different name for the road... but can you blame them?)

I hope that road doesn't also smell like an old trash pile.  X-(
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hm insulators

About 90 miles west of Phoenix, there is an overpass over I-10 and the sign on it says "Sore Finger Road."

My mother lives on a street called Gunsight Drive in Sun City West, Arizona.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

US71

There is a Ragweed Valley Rd near Hot Springs, AR

Clearwater Dr in Harrisonville, MO goes to the local sewer plant

Baton Rouge, LA has Goodwood Blvd

Pawnee, OK has Chester Gould Dr

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

tidecat

Louisville, KY has a Dreams End Drive.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

bing101

Duke87

Quote from: KG909 on September 17, 2014, 10:02:10 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on September 17, 2014, 09:14:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/23ZvjCF.jpg
The signs are not together like that anymore though :/

Hmm. I took that picture in March 2007. Street View shows this pair of signs disappeared sometime between August 2011 and August 2013. Stolen, perhaps.

The pair of signs on the far side of the intersection (visible in the background in my photo) is still there, though. So while it is no longer possible to see the specific pair made famous on Funnyjunk over a decade ago, a similar pair remains.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

TEG24601

I have 'Dead Goat Road' near me.  I also deal with calls from AAA and had a dispatcher crack up about 'Fox Spit Rd.'
There is also one I've had issues with 'Mortland Rd.', which thanks to the Simpsons, I know mort means dead, so basically 'Deadland Rd.'
'Whales Tale Ln.' is another, which in modern times, has strange connotations.

Nuthatch Dr.
Mutiny Bay Rd.
Frogwater Ln.
Little Dirt Rd.
Traverse Rd. (connects a main road, and a road along the shoreline of a lake).
Sleeper Rd.
Monkey Hill Rd.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Charles2

Just north of Birmingham there's a short dead end road called Jew Hill Road.

KG909

Quote from: Duke87 on September 26, 2014, 09:25:38 PM
Quote from: KG909 on September 17, 2014, 10:02:10 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on September 17, 2014, 09:14:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/23ZvjCF.jpg
The signs are not together like that anymore though :/

Hmm. I took that picture in March 2007. Street View shows this pair of signs disappeared sometime between August 2011 and August 2013. Stolen, perhaps.

The pair of signs on the far side of the intersection (visible in the background in my photo) is still there, though. So while it is no longer possible to see the specific pair made famous on Funnyjunk over a decade ago, a similar pair remains.
Hopefully it remains until my trip over there.
~Fuccboi

bing101

http://visit-eldorado.com/fishing-and-boating.php

Sly Park RD in El Dorado County, CA this is the approximate area of the King Fire of 2014

hbelkins

Spotted today in Boyle County, Ky., off KY 34: Old New Pike. (Yes, I got a picture).

There used to be a street in Mt. Vernon, Ky, that had the word "Negro" in it. I can't remember the name of the street, but it was on US 25 north of the US 150 intersection. The street name was changed before I could get a picture of the sign.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CNGL-Leudimin

In another forum, Chris mentioned At Your Own Risk Rd somewhere in Alaska.

And I remember finding somewhere in the internet a photo of a sign saying Silly Mountain Rd. Apparently it's just after the US 60 expressway in the Phoenix area ends.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

oscar

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 11, 2014, 04:57:26 AM
In another forum, Chris mentioned At Your Own Risk Rd somewhere in Alaska.

See page 1 of this thread for the photo and location.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jakeroot

Driving around the Northwest region with my Australian friend was fun, because he was laughing at basically every aboriginal name he saw. Here's one he loved:

Obviously, we pronounced it "anus road" but I'm sure it's "anne-is" or something.

Another one he loved:

If you were less than mature, there is some obvious letter replacing that could be performed here.

Billy F 1988

Quote from: jake on October 11, 2014, 03:05:39 PM
Driving around the Northwest region with my Australian friend was fun, because he was laughing at basically every aboriginal name he saw. Here's one he loved:

Obviously, we pronounced it "anus road" but I'm sure it's "anne-is" or something.

That photo qualifies for Department of Redundency Department because of the EXIT box, plus, it's a design error. Funny, but still a massive pile of fail in every regard.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

jakeroot

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on October 11, 2014, 03:10:37 PM
Quote from: jake on October 11, 2014, 03:05:39 PM

That photo qualifies for Department of Redundency Department because of the EXIT box, plus, it's a design error. Funny, but still a massive pile of fail in every regard.

That's just how British Columbia signs their exits. Each sign has a distance boxed. At the gore point, the distance is replaced with "exit". Actually pretty clever, I think:

Billy F 1988

Oh. Well...dur! So much for my knowledge of BC signage.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

jakeroot

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on October 11, 2014, 03:18:00 PM
Oh. Well...dur! So much for my knowledge of BC signage.

Don't worry, most people don't understand BC's design standards whatsoever. You are well in the majority! :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.