News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

WA-519: unsigned?

Started by yakra, September 26, 2013, 07:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakra

I approached WA519 from the south on 1st Ave, and saw no signage for the route, though that by itself doesn't necessarily mean much.
In GMSV, I couldn't find any signage on the route itself, on its turns, or any approaches, including I-90.

Anyone know anything more about this?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

corco

It used to be well signed before the Royal Brougham reconstruction

http://www.corcohighways.org/highways/blog/?p=953

but looking at the goog, it appears that those signs have been removed.

dfilpus

I was on WA 519 this weekend. It no longer runs on 1st Avenue at all. It now runs on Alaskan Way from the ferry docks to Atlantic Street, then turns east up Atlantic onto Martinez Drive to I 90. I saw signs on Alaskan Way southbound at the ferry docks and on Atlantic west of 1st Avenue for the turn onto Alaskan Way. I did not get pictures of either sign.

TEG24601

I was down in July for a Mariners game and it was signed on overhead signs for the Northward Continuation of 1st beyond E. Martinez Dr.  I recall something about that changing in the near future, but like most things WSDOT doesn't communicate its intentions very well.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

KEK Inc.

Most state routes that aren't freeways in Seattle are poorly signed except for 522 and 99.  513 has only one sign that I know of.  519 is sporadic. 
Take the road less traveled.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: dfilpus on September 27, 2013, 09:01:37 AM
I was on WA 519 this weekend. It no longer runs on 1st Avenue at all. It now runs on Alaskan Way from the ferry docks to Atlantic Street, then turns east up Atlantic onto Martinez Drive to I 90. I saw signs on Alaskan Way southbound at the ferry docks and on Atlantic west of 1st Avenue for the turn onto Alaskan Way. I did not get pictures of either sign.

I believe you have that backwards.  Originally, 519 didn't run on 1st Avenue.  It started at I-90's old end at 4th Avenue, then went south on 4th, west on Royal Brougham, and north on Alaskan.

Alaskan doesn't currently exist between Atlantic and Royal Brougham, so I regret to inform you that you're at least somewhat confused.  You're probably thinking of the turn from Atlantic onto Frontage Road (which at Royal Brougham turns into the SR 99 NB on-ramp).  GSV shows signs directing ferry traffic to take Frontage Road rather 1st Avenue between Atlantic and Royal Brougham, but I see no 519 sign, only a 99 sign.  The WSDOT state highway log lists 519 as using 1st Avenue between Atlantic and Royal Brougham; they even go through great pains to list it as Dave Niehaus Way instead.

Kacie Jane

Alright, did some roadgeeking this morning.  And sure enough, my memory and GSV are at least a couple of months outdated, as there's no longer any access across 99 on Royal Brougham between Frontage and Alaskan.  Alaskan Way essentially ends/turns into Railroad Way somewhere between Madison and King Streets.  The "Ferries" signs on Atlantic west of 1st have been removed, traffic is now directed to turn onto 1st (to Railroad to Alaskan).

Most importantly, I did not see any 519 signs on Atlantic, 1st, or Railroad south of Jackson Street.  I didn't look north of Jackson or on 4th Avenue. Dfilpus, if you saw one on Atlantic west of 1st, it's no longer there, but as I said before, you must have been confused.  The "North 99" sign visible in GSV is still there.

(I mentioned my memory and GSV being outdated; so is the state highway log, which makes sense as the last (published) data collection was 2012.  The log shows 519 taking Atlantic (Edgar) -> 1st (Dave) -> Royal Brougham -> Alaskan.  It must be Atlantic -> 1st -> Railroad -> Alaskan now.)

dfilpus

I may have been confused, but the sign I saw was not the Ferries sign or the North WA 99 sign. We were on Edgar Martinez and making a left onto 1st Ave. There was a sign on the north side of Atlantic, visible from the left turn lane. I thought it was a WA 519 sign, indicating a right turn at the next intersection (Frontage). This was on Sunday, Sept 22 2013 (a week ago). If that sign is gone now, then so be it. That area has undergone a number of changes with the rerouting of the Viaduct. I know the WA 519 on Alaskan Way at the ferry docks was there on the Friday before that.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: dfilpus on October 01, 2013, 01:20:23 PMWe were on Edgar Martinez and making a left onto 1st Ave.

Then it probably was the North 99 sign.  Dug a little deeper, and it wouldn't make any sense for a 519 sign to be there.  In 2009, 519 was on it's old route from I-90's old end; in 2010, it was on it's current-now-impossible route via Atlantic->1st->Royal Brougham.  It's never gone from Atlantic to either Frontage or Alaskan.

But I'll happily believe there's still a 519 sign on Alaskan.

Kacie Jane

Haven't seen one on Alaskan, but I have seen one!! Southbound on the viaduct, the advance signage for the Atlantic St exit just reads "Atlantic St/Royal Brougham Way", but the BGS at the exit itself just after you come out from the viaduct has shields for 519 TO 90/5.

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: KEK Inc. on September 29, 2013, 06:44:42 PM
Most state routes that aren't freeways in Seattle are poorly signed except for 522 and 99.  513 has only one sign that I know of.  519 is sporadic. 

WA 513 is a good example of a route that has been truncated several times now only running from WA 520 to Warren G Magnusson Park. It used to start at I-5/Madison St and travel east to 23rd Ave S, turn left onto 23rd and follow to 520 and then along its current route. Then where it currently terminates at the entrance to Magnusson, WA 513 formerly continued along Sand Point Way to NE 125th St westward to I-5, then paralleled I-5 on 5th Ave NE to the I-5/NE 145th St interchange.

I have also recalled a stray WA 900 sign on southbound MLK Way between Rainier and I-5, and a couple of WA 167 signs on Rainier Ave north of Renton not too long ago. I will be out in Seattle next week, I will have to drive along there and look if they are still there!
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

Kacie Jane

I don't think there are any 167 signs left on Rainier.  There is a 900 on MLK northbound at Rainier, directing motorists to turn left to stay on 900 (it's on an overhead, not a reassurance marker).

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: Kacie Jane on November 24, 2013, 09:18:59 AM
I don't think there are any 167 signs left on Rainier.  There is a 900 on MLK northbound at Rainier, directing motorists to turn left to stay on 900 (it's on an overhead, not a reassurance marker).

Yep, I drove both roads while I was on vacation and the state highway signs are not there. I noticed that Rainier Ave is also narrowed to 3 lanes instead of the 4 lanes it used to be! Lame!!!
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.