News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apjung

US71

Quote from: apjung on April 23, 2014, 06:29:44 AM
I-49 signs now going up on I-540.
http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2014/apr/23/first-section-of-bella-vista-bypass-ope/?news-arkansas-nwa-fayetteville (paywall)

I was up there yesterday. They did the mainline SB from Exit 93 (71B) to Exit 76 (Wagon Wheel Rd),  then re-signed NB. Intersecting roads were unchanged as of 7pm last night.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alex

Question for AHTD:

Now that all of I-540 north of I-40 is transferred over to I-49. What is the official mileage of I-540 south into Fort Smith, and what is the total official mileage of I-49 in Arkansas presently?

O Tamandua

Quote from: US71 on April 23, 2014, 12:05:55 AM
Quote from: O Tamandua on April 22, 2014, 02:11:04 PM
Had to give a friend a ride from Bentonville to Gravette this morning, just in time to travel the new future section of I-49 on its first day open.  Given that it's a workday I only had time to snap one picture, 1/4 east of the new Highway 72 west-of-Hiwasse bridge:

No worries. I've got a bunch of photos I'll probably have on Flickr by the end of the week ;)

Hey, I was first.  ;-)  (Yours will likely be much better than mine.)

BTW, front page story (about time it made there) of the NWA Online and affiliate newspapers ($ .99 daily paywall): http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2014/apr/23/first-section-of-bella-vista-bypass-ope/

AHTD

Quote from: Alex on April 23, 2014, 10:19:45 AM
Question for AHTD:

Now that all of I-540 north of I-40 is transferred over to I-49. What is the official mileage of I-540 south into Fort Smith, and what is the total official mileage of I-49 in Arkansas presently?

We posted some of this last week in the I-49 Texarkana thread and probably should have repeated it here. Thanks for asking! We are currently re-logging I-540 and will post that information once its available.

Here is the proposed logging of the entire I-49 corridor in Arkansas (and Texas).
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49-Proposed-Mileage.pdf

Proposed exit numbering from the Louisiana State Line (through Texas) and to the Polk County, Arkansas line:
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49_Exits_1.pdf

Proposed exit numbering from the Polk County line to the Ft. Chaffee area:
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49_Exits_2.pdf

Proposed exit numbering from the Ft. Chaffee area to the Missouri State Line:
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49_Exits_3.pdf

Please understand this is all PROPOSED and is subject to a tweak every now and then.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

O Tamandua

AHTD

Quote from: O Tamandua on April 22, 2014, 02:11:04 PM
Had to give a friend a ride from Bentonville to Gravette this morning, just in time to travel the new future section of I-49 on its first day open.  Given that it's a workday I only had time to snap one picture, 1/4 east of the new Highway 72 west-of-Hiwasse bridge:

AHTD,

I know it's got to be frustrating to you and your colleagues to only be able to open two lanes of a future major U.S. interstate corridor under your agency's jurisdiction.  I'm not interested (or educated enough) about the process as so many are here...I'm interested in the progress.

And with that said, I loved driving this even as I was the only one on the entire brand new stretch.  (I'm reminded of an original Star Trek episode "The Tholian Web", where Captain Kirk (to his dismay) talked about briefly having an entire (alternate) universe to himself (that he was temporarily trapped in).

It was weird having an entire stretch of future interstate to myself today.  But it was a beaut to drive.  And when your next section opens (Rocky Dell Hollow Rd to AR 72) and the one after that (AR 72 east new bridge to I-49 north current terminus at Bentonville/Bella Vista line) people are going to be amazed at what a travel blessing this will be from a time-saving standpoint.  And a bunch of us are going to be wondering why this wasn't done sooner (gazing to the southeast in the direction of the Arkansas legislature).

Good job...excellent first step on this, IMO.

Thanks for those kind words!

Several of us attended the event yesterday and not only had the chance to drive the new section before it opened, but walked around and enjoyed what turned out to be an absolutely beautiful day for a ribbon-cutting. After all, one doesn't often get the chance to enjoy a brand spankin' new fully-controlled access facility before it opens!

Check it out:

Of note was the vast quiet of the rural area and one could only imagine what it will be like when the project is fully realized. A few notes from the opportunity:

The route is officially signed State Highway 549
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/img_0596.jpg

Signs for State Highway 549 with 90-degree arrows are posted on State Highway 72.

The section opened yesterday will become the southbound lanes. Although the grade is set for all four lanes in the vicinity of both State Highway 72 overpasses, the grade along this completed section is not. You can, however, see the right of way fencing and get an idea of where the northbound lanes will be constructed.

The double-yellow line separating north and south lanes is a thermo plastic. Should be relatively easy to replace with white skip lines.

The speed limit is 55 MPH.

A handful of residents attended the ribbon-cutting and were glad to see this first phase open. At least one resident (we assume) stood out on State Highway 72 holding up a sign that read: WASTE!

A work order was issued yesterday to Kolb Grading, LLC for the next section to be constructed (SH 72 to U.S. 71-B). The contractor is required to mobilize within 10 days so we should start seeing some action on this new project in May. This is a $53.6 million project and we estimate it will be completed in the first half of 2016.

Kolb Grading is also the contractor working on the section of the bypass currently under construction (SH 72 to Benton County Road 34). We estimate this will be completed in October 2014.

Truly one had to employ a healthy mix of imagination and anticipation to fully appreciate the event. All highways have to start somewhere. The first section of Interstate 30 in Arkansas was completed in 1954 from U.S. 67 to the Saline/Pulaski County Line. And that was just the westbound lanes. The eastbound lanes were completed in 1958. The entire I-30 in Arkansas wasn't fully realized until 1971.

O Tamandua

No problem, AHTD (on the kind words).

BTW, in today's Northwest Arkansas newspaper (I read the Benton County Record, but I'm sure this article was the same across the various city papers up here):

- Per your comment "You never know when a billion dollar grant may come up" on another thread (that you cautioned may or may not happen, but that the AHTD is preparing for it if it happens), Dick Trammel was directly quoted as saying that the I-49 designation across these segments of highway increases the odds of getting a federal grant for more funds.  He didn't say it WOULD happen, but whatever anyone says about Mr. Trammel no one can convince me he doesn't love his state and the northwest Arkansas he's spent so much time in, and that he wouldn't say something like this if he didn't think there was a possibility it could happen.

- The AHTD person quoted said the (two lane) section of the BV bypass from Rocky Dell Hollow Road to the Hwy. 72 west Hiwasse bridge (the current west end of the new segment opened yesterday) is expected to be ready this October(!).

- ...and the east Hwy 72 bridge (current east end of yesterday's new segment) to U.S. 71 N at Bentonville (right by I-49's current north end there) is expected to be ready by Spring 2016.

- ...and that Arkansas is "ready to go" when Missouri gets their funding for their final 7 miles of I-49 in place.

The more we get completed, the faster this thing seems to go. :spin:

robbones

Is there any timeline on the Crawford County portion to be started? Will this section be at grade at any point or will it be all bridge?

hizerbla

This is a question for AHTD concerning the Wagon Wheel Rd exit.
The city of Springdale, AR was allowed to create a 5-lane Rd and end it at there city limits.  This has increased traffic over the years and the traffic congestion on the bridge is very heavy during peak hours.  The south bound exit ramp dumps onto a county road with no form of traffic control and therefore the traffic trying to get onto the interstate has to sit and wait.  The city has informed me that this is an AHTD issue.  My question is either "why did the AHTD allow the city to create such a juggernaut with the traffic pattern with no consideration to increased traffic flow? or "Does AHTD have any plans to at least cooperate with the City to either sit a Stop light or at least Stop Signs to allow for a more controlled traffic pattern?  Thanks for you time.

O Tamandua

Small little piece of the puzzle within the Canada/Mexico/Gulf of Mexico future I-49/I-69 availability, but the Port of Fort Smith is starting to get more traffic thanks to new rail lines, and trucks are in the mix, too. 

US71

I have a question about the Don Tyson Parkway Exit:

I noticed the On Ramps from the Parkway to I-49 end right before the next exits (US 412 going north, Johnson Mill Blvd going south).  It would seem more logical (to me, at least) to extend the ramps to the exits and have them drop off there. I'm curious why the ramps weren't extended? Was there a logistical reason or a lack of funding?

AHTD

Quote from: robbones on April 24, 2014, 05:18:48 PM
Is there any timeline on the Crawford County portion to be started? Will this section be at grade at any point or will it be all bridge?

None identified. No money exists for it. The river crossing alone is ballparked at approximately $500 million. Once we get closer to design level, we should have a better idea of what will be required.

AHTD

Quote from: hizerbla on April 25, 2014, 08:20:02 AM
This is a question for AHTD concerning the Wagon Wheel Rd exit.
The city of Springdale, AR was allowed to create a 5-lane Rd and end it at there city limits.  This has increased traffic over the years and the traffic congestion on the bridge is very heavy during peak hours.  The south bound exit ramp dumps onto a county road with no form of traffic control and therefore the traffic trying to get onto the interstate has to sit and wait.  The city has informed me that this is an AHTD issue.  My question is either "why did the AHTD allow the city to create such a juggernaut with the traffic pattern with no consideration to increased traffic flow? or "Does AHTD have any plans to at least cooperate with the City to either sit a Stop light or at least Stop Signs to allow for a more controlled traffic pattern?  Thanks for you time.

This interchange is being reconfigured as part of our Interstate Rehabilitation Program. The contract should let sometime this year. Should resolve much of what you describe.

txstateends

\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

US71

As of 5pm Friday, I-49 has been signed all the way to I-40 at Alma. None of the intersecting roads have been changed out yet (nor the 40/540 overlap signs), so I'm guessing they will start on those next week.

Oh, do Fayetteville and Greenland know they need to change their signs, too?

Oh, and Rogers, too (though it's sooo cute ;) )

bugo

Don't tell the city about those I-540 shields. If you tell them they will just replace them with I-49 signs.  If they stand for say 10 years some young road enthusiast might see the sign and think "why is there a sign pointing towards I-540?  I-540 is way down in Fort Smith" and could boost interest in the hobby.  Keep it a secret.

Scott5114

And in the meantime, countless people who don't give a shit will get lost.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

They're not getting lost over AHTD's midnight resigning of I-540?
already?

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 27, 2014, 07:55:00 PM

How cool would it be to find an I-440 sign in Oklahoma City?  An I-244 sign in Saint Louis?  I don't want to deny future road enthusiasts the chance to stumble across such a sign just because some anal geeks whined to the DOT.

US71

Quote from: bugo on April 28, 2014, 11:25:21 AM

How cool would it be to find an I-440 sign in Oklahoma City?  An I-244 sign in Saint Louis?  I don't want to deny future road enthusiasts the chance to stumble across such a sign just because some anal geeks whined to the DOT.

I think you've said that before. What would you call Named vs Neutered signs or posting of route overlaps?

Scott5114

Quote from: US71 on April 28, 2014, 05:13:31 PM
Quote from: bugo on April 28, 2014, 11:25:21 AM

I think you've said that before. What would you call Named vs Neutered signs or posting of route overlaps?

Named vs. neutered shields are substantially the same in terms of utility. It could be argued either way on concurrencies: on the one hand you don't want to overwhelm the driver by presenting too many shields, but on the other you want to provide route continuity. I think that in general overlaps should be signed in order to err on the side of providing potentially useful information. While it is unlikely that a road user is following, say, OK-3 from terminus to terminus, we cannot rule out that someone might attempt it. 

As for the situation of an old shield not being updated after a redesignation, however, it is crystal clear that an update is warranted. Travelers just do not research old highway designations when traveling. If their map says I-49, an I-540 shield will not get them to their destination. Our likes and dislikes as road enthusiasts pale in comparison to ensuring that signs serve their purpose in directing motorists to their destinations.

Fear not,  Jeremy...the vast length of highway being renumbered means that it is near certain that at least one shield will be missed. And we probably won't discover it for a long while.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 30, 2014, 07:28:58 PM
Fear not,  Jeremy...the vast length of highway being renumbered means that it is near certain that at least one shield will be missed. And we probably won't discover it for a long while.

As soon as its location is publicized, some anal roadgeek will go whining to AHTD and it will be changed.

If I ever find an I-540 shield in NWA, I'm not revealing the location to anybody I don't trust.

US71

Quote from: bugo on May 02, 2014, 02:40:15 AM

As soon as its location is publicized, some anal roadgeek will go whining to AHTD and it will be changed.

If I ever find an I-540 shield in NWA, I'm not revealing the location to anybody I don't trust.

But if I find it, it'll be on my Flickr page. :p

Road Hog

Quote from: US71 on May 02, 2014, 11:05:42 AM
Quote from: bugo on May 02, 2014, 02:40:15 AM

But if I find it, it'll be on my living room wall. :p

More like it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.