News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Funniest street names

Started by J Route Z, September 15, 2014, 12:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theline

Quote from: vtk on March 20, 2015, 05:07:07 AM
Quote from: Zzonkmiles on March 20, 2015, 12:39:55 AM
Quote from: Buck87 on March 17, 2015, 09:13:57 PM
Sandusky County

Given the past troubles with Penn State next door, that county name is most unfortunate.

We have had a river, a county, and two notable small cities with the name Sandusky for a long time. The association of that name with Penn State Jerry was a flash in the pan for us.
I grew up with family vacations taken on beautiful Sandusky Bay. They led to so many great memories that I never once associated "Sandusky" with that scumbag from PSU.

iBallasticwolf2

Homer ave, and Simpson ave are quite close to each other in Cincinnati, Ohio

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1480624,-84.3889255,17z
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

national highway 1

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on March 22, 2015, 09:07:39 PM
Homer ave, and Simpson ave are quite close to each other in Cincinnati, Ohio

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1480624,-84.3889255,17z
Homer is a typical man's name. Simpson is a typical surname. Coincidental, but not actually that funny. :no:
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

1995hoo

This may be deemed offensive by some, but either way, this seems like the most appropriate place for it. It's in Howard County, Maryland. It's unclear whether "Coon" in this case is short for "raccoon" or whether it's the racial term.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Super Mateo

There are a few streets around the country named Goa Way.

CapeCodder

Stud Road in Scoresby, Australia.

cjk374

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 25, 2015, 10:49:53 AM
This may be deemed offensive by some, but either way, this seems like the most appropriate place for it. It's in Howard County, Maryland. It's unclear whether "Coon" in this case is short for "raccoon" or whether it's the racial term.

I'm sure Jerry Clower and Marcel Ledbetter would have loved to live there if it were in southwest Mississippi.   :bigass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev0li6_fFfo
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

tcorlandoinsavannah

Apologies if this has been mentioned before: PL

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 25, 2015, 10:49:53 AM

White lettering on blue background street signs in Howard County, Maryland means that the street (sometimes just the corner) is within the limits of the jurisdiction of the the Columbia Association (f/k/a The Columbia Park and Recreation Association, Inc., often still referred to as "CPRA"), a private association (no municipalities in Howard County, map here, but the map is not entirely correct, as there are "outparcels" within Columbia that are not part of the Columbia Association).  The Columbia Association was established by the developer of Columbia, the Rouse Company, before development of Columbia began in the late 1960's. 

Streets within the Columbia Association were usually named for places, names and passages from English literature (a few examples include Kilimanjaro RoadBroken Staff, Broken Land Parkway, Setting Sun Way and Sunny Spring).  Presumably that applies to Coon Hunt Court as well.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

steviep24

thenetwork

A few minutes away from my house there is a street where the blade reads "Bristol Ct".  Everytime I pass that sign, I think of Bristol, Connecticut and ESPN.

And practically across the street from that intersection is a subdivision with a street called Donna Roberts Lane.  Donna and Robert happen to be the names of my inlaws who also live a few minutes away from "their" street (though it was not named for them -- just a co-winky-dink).

But when we took them over to get their picture taken by their street blade, some of the area neighbors came over to see what we were doing.  We led them to believe that the street was named after the two of them and my father in-law really laid it on thick!  He is pretty much a celebrity along that short block street now.

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

CNGL-Leudimin

Damn 'short' Basque last names :sombrero:. I was told those actually consist of two names, in this case 'Urtuzu' and 'Astegui' (originally 'Urtutzu' and 'Astegi', both of which were then adapted into Spanish).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

formulanone

Saw this at another forum:

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

NE2

Hmmm. The street view does match except that there was no sign in 2008. I wonder why the Hs and Ms have less reflectivity.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

Quote from: NE2 on April 28, 2015, 09:56:12 PM
Hmmm. The street view does match except that there was no sign in 2008. I wonder why the Hs and Ms have less reflectivity.

Maybe it's for the same reason whole letters of button copy in Ohio seem to lose reflectivity over time, rather than button by button or uniformly over the whole sign... probably not but it's just as mysterious.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

oscar

One pair of local roads in the Yukon I hadn't mentioned earlier: on the Atlin Road (YT 7 south from the Alaska Highway), there are Snafu Lake Road and Tarfu Lake Road. Atlin Road was built by the Canadian military after World War II, when its army probably picked up those acronyms from our army: "Situation Normal, All F____d Up" and "Things Are Really F____d Up". 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Bruce

KG909

~Fuccboi

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

CentralPAGal

There's an Isle of Q Rd along US 209 between Millersburg and Elizabethville, PA
Clinched:
I: 83, 97, 176, 180 (PA), 270 (MD), 283, 395 (MD), 470 (OH-WV), 471, 795 (MD)
Traveled:
I: 70, 71, 75, 76 (E), 78, 79, 80, 81, 86 (E), 95, 99, 270 (OH), 275 (KY-IN-OH), 376, 495 (MD-VA), 579, 595 (MD), 695 (MD)
US: 1, 9, 11, 13, 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 42, 50, 113, 119, 127, 209, 220, 222, 301

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.