News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Your first road atlas

Started by bugo, September 02, 2014, 12:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

I don't think I ever had an atlas, per se... However, my first road maps were an odd source: My local telephone book. I would eagerly await the regular updates to the area phone books to see if there were new or expanded maps–for most of my youth, we got new phone books twice a year. (Apparently, Las Vegas, due to the constant influx of people, was one of the few major cities that published twice a year. Now that they have two volumes, the maps are only done once a year.) I credit most of my pre-driving knowledge of the Las Vegas area street system to this avid review of phone book maps.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

GCrites

^Those were never my favorite maps, but they required little effort to obtain.  I gave them some time for that reason. Before I discovered DeLorme books they were good for more detail than state maps.

I should mention that I exempt DeLorme from my general distaste for atlases as opposed to maps. I might not make it to every rural city hall for more detailed maps of counties I don't live near especially these days where my road trip time is very limited. And every time I stay in a motel in  non-party mode I check out the phone book. Unfortunately it seems phone book maps have gone downhill or even absent in many towns.

vdeane

The Rochester phone books used MapWorks for their map data, so the maps in them were quite good, often being more recent than the latest MapWorks atlas (but covering a smaller area).

Quote from: GCrites80s on January 15, 2015, 11:08:54 PM
I should mention that I exempt DeLorme from my general distaste for atlases as opposed to maps.
What's wrong with atlases?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bandit957

Quote from: roadfro on January 15, 2015, 11:01:12 PM
I don't think I ever had an atlas, per se... However, my first road maps were an odd source: My local telephone book. I would eagerly await the regular updates to the area phone books to see if there were new or expanded maps–for most of my youth, we got new phone books twice a year. (Apparently, Las Vegas, due to the constant influx of people, was one of the few major cities that published twice a year. Now that they have two volumes, the maps are only done once a year.) I credit most of my pre-driving knowledge of the Las Vegas area street system to this avid review of phone book maps.

The Cincinnati area Yellow Pages had local street maps. In the '80s, they weren't so great. Each road was a thin gray line, regardless of what type of road. And the maps were frequently wrong.

Later, the Yellow Pages started using much better maps.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

GCrites

Quote from: vdeane on January 16, 2015, 12:46:38 PM

I should mention that I exempt DeLorme from my general distaste for atlases as opposed to maps.

Maps are bigger.

NE2

Quote from: GCrites80s on January 16, 2015, 10:47:02 PM

Maps are bigger.

Actually, atlases usually have more surface area than maps.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

TheHighwayMan3561

My first favorite road atlas was a 1997 AAA atlas with spiral binding. I think I saw it recently in the garage even.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

GCrites

Quote from: NE2 on January 16, 2015, 11:46:16 PM
Quote from: GCrites80s on January 16, 2015, 10:47:02 PM

Maps are bigger.

Actually, atlases usually have more surface area than maps.

Well yeah, because they usually cover more real estate but in lesser detail and/or on a smaller scale.

vdeane

Huh?  It's generally the opposite (ignoring national atlases) - the atlas covers everything in more detail at a larger scale than the fold-out map.  My Jimapco NY atlas shows every street in NY, and my MapWorks regional atlases show every major one; a fold-out map will only show you the most major roads at the state level.  At the city level, the detail is the same, but the area covered is not - a fold-out map will focus on the city itself and maybe the closest suburbs.  An atlas will usually show the entire metro.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

GCrites

I mean individual state maps vs. entire U.S. atlases, not state maps vs. state atlases.

CapeCodder

Quote from: vdeane on January 17, 2015, 03:11:42 PM
Huh?  It's generally the opposite (ignoring national atlases) - the atlas covers everything in more detail at a larger scale than the fold-out map.  My Jimapco NY atlas shows every street in NY, and my MapWorks regional atlases show every major one; a fold-out map will only show you the most major roads at the state level.  At the city level, the detail is the same, but the area covered is not - a fold-out map will focus on the city itself and maybe the closest suburbs.  An atlas will usually show the entire metro.

Jimapco is pretty good. I have their New England Road Atlas.

robbones

Until another company comes out with a cmv version of the atlas, I'm stuck with buying a Rand McNally.

slorydn1

The first one I remember was the 1974-ish Rand McNally (Allstate Motor Club edition). Since my dad was a member he got a new map every year, and I got the previous year's map to "play" with. I wish I still had them!
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.