News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Reversed Breezewoods

Started by roadman65, October 29, 2014, 10:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zmapper

Haul Rd even has a sidewalk leading up to the impound lot from the interchange.

jp the roadgeek

Then there's quite a few of these in CT, especially where US Routes join an interstate to cross a river bridge (US 1 with I-95 over the Baldwin and Gold Star bridges), US 44 with I-84 to cross the Bulkeley Bridge, and US 6 with I-84 to cross the Rochambeau Bridge.  In NY, the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge is a reverse Breezewood for NY 52 travelers. Also, for NY 7 travelers in the Capital District, one must enter the Northway for one exit to continue on the same road.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

NE2

Damn it.
Quote from: NE2 on October 31, 2014, 12:10:34 AM
He's not talking about overlaps of non-Interstates on Interstates.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 31, 2014, 09:54:03 PM
Also, for NY 7 travelers in the Capital District, one must enter the Northway for one exit to continue on the same road.
Only eastbound.  Quirk of how the ramps are set up.  Westbound NY 7 is on a service road parallel to the Northway.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on November 01, 2014, 10:50:40 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 31, 2014, 09:54:03 PM
Also, for NY 7 travelers in the Capital District, one must enter the Northway for one exit to continue on the same road.
Only eastbound.  Quirk of how the ramps are set up.  Westbound NY 7 is on a service road parallel to the Northway.

I still wonder why there isn't a C/D road on the other side (or why they didn't put one in during the Exit 6 project), but then again, there are several things about that road that continue to puzzle me. As in if they'll ever put in the 2 extra lanes that every bridge built in the last 15 years has room for...
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

froggie

I'd think the wetlands between the northbound lanes and the shopping area played a factor.  Also, adding a northbound C/D road would have required replacing the Sparrowbush Rd overpass.  No such overpass replacement was needed on the southbound side because it was already wide there due to the WB 7 to SB 87 ramp.

vdeane

As froggie said, the overpasses would have needed replacement.  There's also Region 1's current policy that no new general purpose travel lanes will be added to the Northway - not sure how c/d roads factor in.  It would help a lot and remove one of the three big merges that routinely snarl the evening rush hour traffic.

If I had my way, the Northway would have a northbound express/local system in Albany County and a southbound express/local system in southern Saratoga County.  I would also collect a "tourist tax" during peak times from non-commuters (and people leaving work early); traffic is snarled during the summer travel season, Thursday/Friday in leaf peeping season, and presumably also ski season (but I haven't lived here long enough to observe it).  Finally, I'd install large signs warning vehicles that they would be fined for slowing down when approaching the Twin Bridges.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on November 02, 2014, 04:17:29 PM
As froggie said, the overpasses would have needed replacement.  There's also Region 1's current policy that no new general purpose travel lanes will be added to the Northway - not sure how c/d roads factor in.  It would help a lot and remove one of the three big merges that routinely snarl the evening rush hour traffic.

If I had my way, the Northway would have a northbound express/local system in Albany County and a southbound express/local system in southern Saratoga County.  I would also collect a "tourist tax" during peak times from non-commuters (and people leaving work early); traffic is snarled during the summer travel season, Thursday/Friday in leaf peeping season, and presumably also ski season (but I haven't lived here long enough to observe it).  Finally, I'd install large signs warning vehicles that they would be fined for slowing down when approaching the Twin Bridges.

That's been the policy since they put in the third lane north of Exit 14 decades ago. Pretty outdated given the regular congestion south of Saratoga every day. Still, they could have added a C/D road back when Exit 7 was built (they rebuilt the bridge as part of construction). Honestly, the Northway is at LOS E most of the day, especially at the merges. Slowdowns are inevitable under those conditions. Only cures are to increase capacity or reduce usage. Both would require construction of new Mohawk River bridges, as the bridges are the choke points and the cars would have to go somewhere.

Ski season is iffy. Not as bad on the Northway as during the rest of the year, but still noticeable. The main issues then are Exit 20 and NY 149, which can't handle the traffic headed toward Vermont in addition to outlet and local traffic. That's a completely different issue that nobody wants to tackle- Warren County and the Town of Queensbury have been begging for improvements for ages and Region 1 isn't very responsive, but that issue is way off topic.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Walleye2013

Summit Road at I-75 in southern Michigan. It is a pair of incomplete interchanges to continue the road over I-75

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: 1 on October 29, 2014, 07:53:56 PM
I'm not sure if I understand this, but this might be an example. To get from RI 99 to I-295, you need to go in the C/D lanes of RI 146, but you don't get onto RI 146 itself.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=RI-99+S&daddr=I-295+S&hl=en&ll=41.947969,-71.479282&spn=0.018193,0.027337&sll=41.942295,-71.482801&sspn=0.004549,0.006834&geocode=FX9KgAIdkz29-w%3BFab7fwIdyjy9-w&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=17&t=m&z=15

Similar case to make the connection from I-291 to I-384 in Manchester, CT.  Have to use the I-84 C/D roads.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bzakharin

I don't know if this counts, but I'm sure there are many cases when a regular road becomes an entrance to a freeway, so barring U-Turns, you need the freeway to connect to anything. Here's an example:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.5614182,-74.3262564/40.5475188,-74.3347884/@40.5529571,-74.3350755,15z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0
Wood Avenue South just ends as onramps to the Garden State Parkway. When I worked at this hotel, they had a courtesy shuttle that would take the above route to get people to the mall (going the other way was hopelessly congested, and not an option if you already made the turn the other way).

jakeroot

Bit late to the party here, but I don't think a reverse Breezewood is possible (strictly speaking). People will often default to freeways when they can, but usually not the other way around. The reason Breezewood is a big deal, is because you have to default to a non-freeway to continue on your route. Defaulting from side street -> freeway -> side street allows you to speed up for a short interim, and if anything, speeds up journey times. Thus, in theory, a reverse Breezewood is actually an upgrade to a route, I think. Therefore, I don't find those situations all that notable.

That said, there's very few cases near me where I need to use a freeway to go from point A to point B, so it's interesting to find cases where that's necessary.

mhh

In Michigan, a freeway (I-75) is the only road connecting the two peninsulas.

freebrickproductions

Not sure if this counts, but here in Huntsville, AL, AL 53 takes the ramps on I-565 to get from Jordan Lane to Governors Drive.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

TheStranger

KY 61 uses a short segment of I-65 between Exit 134A and Exit 134 in Louisville, due to Preston Street no longer crossing the railroad at this location:
https://goo.gl/maps/MfQ9L1Fv2HT2

In Sunol, CA, Route 84 east requires taking an onramp to 680 north immediately to exit 21B to continue onward to Livermore:
https://goo.gl/maps/Jg33hx6oCGw

Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.