News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Widest/longest roads with an uncommon suffix?

Started by Buffaboy, May 26, 2017, 09:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catsynth

CA 86S was a long freeway bypass of CA 86, but the suffix was discontinued once CA 86 was rerouted onto it.
http://www.catsynth.com
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

Completed 2di: I-80, I-87 (NY), I-84 (E), I-86 (E), I-97, I-44

kalvado

epzik8

There's a residential street in Columbia, Maryland called High Tor Hill that's of considerable length. Columbia is notorious for its many streets containing weird suffixes.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

hm insulators

Sherman Way running east and west across the San Fernando Valley near Los Angeles.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

roadman65

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 27, 2017, 02:19:03 AM
Quote from: Buffaboy on May 27, 2017, 12:47:21 AM
It's at your own discretion, but think of "Drive" for example. I don't know too many of them that are super long and wide, other than Sheridan Drive in Amherst. Or Lanes for example.
Lake Shore Drive in Chicago may not be the longest Drive, but it is pretty wide in spots -- at least 4 Lanes a side. Wikipedia puts it at just over 20 miles -- that sounds about right, riding the Shores of Lake Michigan
Colonial Drive in Orange County, FL.  It goes from the Lake County Line in the west to the Brevard County Line (St. Johns River) in the east.  Its pretty much the whole length of the county.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

plain

Quote from: kalvado on May 31, 2017, 01:42:22 PM
Would El Camino Real count?

Oh no doubt. I would definitely consider that the cream of the crop on this thread... matter of fact what's the total mileage on this anyway? I've never been to the West Coast but I know enough to say its segments are pretty lengthy
Newark born, Richmond bred

michravera

Quote from: plain on June 14, 2017, 04:29:22 PM

Oh no doubt. I would definitely consider that the cream of the crop on this thread... matter of fact what's the total mileage on this anyway? I've never been to the West Coast but I know enough to say its segments are pretty lengthy

Keep in mind that, in Spanish, "El Camino Real" just means "The Royal Road" or "The Regal Highway". "Camino" is a NORMAL Spanish prefix for a road or highway. But, if you insist, I tried to get Google Maps to follow it the best that it could from Mission Sonoma to Mission San Diego and came up with 952 km. I am not sure how much of the highway is designated "El Camino Real" in Marin and Sonoma counties, so, more conservatively, I ran it from Mission Delores in San Francisco to Mission San Diego and came up with 905 km. It is probably actually a bit longer than that because it should run along CASR-82, CASR-1, and US-101 (and a few back, frontage, and through town roads that have been bypassed by freeway).

US 89

Quote from: michravera on June 14, 2017, 05:36:31 PM
Quote from: plain on June 14, 2017, 04:29:22 PM

Keep in mind that, in Spanish, "El Camino Real" just means "The Royal Road" or "The Regal Highway". "Camino" is a NORMAL Spanish prefix for a road or highway. But, if you insist, I tried to get Google Maps to follow it the best that it could from Mission Sonoma to Mission San Diego and came up with 952 km. I am not sure how much of the highway is designated "El Camino Real" in Marin and Sonoma counties, so, more conservatively, I ran it from Mission Delores in San Francisco to Mission San Diego and came up with 905 km. It is probably actually a bit longer than that because it should run along CASR-82, CASR-1, and US-101 (and a few back, frontage, and through town roads that have been bypassed by freeway).

Wikipedia says the historic length is 600 miles, with a northern terminus in Sonoma County.

Continuing with the Spanish idea, Paseo del Norte in Albuquerque is 17.4 miles.

briantroutman

I am not sure how much of the highway is designated "El Camino Real" in Marin and Sonoma counties...

I lived in Marin for several years, and I can't think of any part of "El Camino Real"  that is officially signed under that name. There are some of the distinctive bell markers along the approximate route, but the roads along which they're posted have other names.

There's a long, continuous stretch (about 40 miles) of El Camino Real (officially designated and signed as "El Camino Real" ) from roughly Daly City to Santa Clara. But the name largely disappears from there southward only popping up either unofficially (i.e. bell markers) or in disjointed fragments like this one between Atascadero and Santa Margarita.

jakeroot

The use of "way" is not unusual in the Pacific Northwest. Lots of prominent/busy examples in Washington and British Columbia:

(WA) - Lake City Way & Bothell Way (primary road to/from areas NE of Seattle)
(WA) - Basically all of the MLK-designations (...King Jr Way)
(BC) - Golden Ears Way (basically a freeway for a few miles)
(BC) - Marine Way (very busy east/west connector south of Burnaby)
(BC) - Kingsway (super busy "old road" with lots of businesses -- primary road from New West to Vancouver)
(BC) - many, many others (Grant McConachie Way, Russ Baker Way, Sea Island Way -- and that's just one intersection!)

US 89

Quote from: jakeroot on June 14, 2017, 08:53:40 PM
The use of "way" is not unusual in the Pacific Northwest. Lots of prominent/busy examples in Washington and British Columbia:

(BC) - Kingsway (super busy "old road" with lots of businesses -- primary road from New West to Vancouver)
(BC) - many, many others (Grant McConachie Way, Russ Baker Way, Sea Island Way -- and that's just one intersection!)

What about Alaskan Way in Seattle?

jakeroot

Quote from: roadguy2 on June 14, 2017, 09:41:57 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 14, 2017, 08:53:40 PM

What about Alaskan Way in Seattle?

There's that, yes. It's a big road, for sure (or, it was before it was shrunken substantially close to downtown). I would put it far below the first 2 examples from Washington in terms of importance; it's mostly known as the namesake of the viaduct, rather than a major commuting corridor.

michravera

Quote from: briantroutman on June 14, 2017, 06:33:14 PM
I am not sure how much of the highway is designated "El Camino Real" in Marin and Sonoma counties...

I lived in Marin for several years, and I can't think of any part of "El Camino Real"  that is officially signed under that name. There are some of the distinctive bell markers along the approximate route, but the roads along which they're posted have other names.

There's a long, continuous stretch (about 40 miles) of El Camino Real (officially designated and signed as "El Camino Real" ) from roughly Daly City to Santa Clara. But the name largely disappears from there southward only popping up either unofficially (i.e. bell markers) or in disjointed fragments like this one between Atascadero and Santa Margarita.
The California Highway Code designates El Camino Real and those mission bells are *OFFICIAL*.

El Camino Real very often shows up as a frontage or parallel road to US-101 in much of the state south of Santa Clara.

Flint1979

I know in Clare County, Michigan the roads going north-south are called Avenue's while the roads going east-west are called Roads.

In Eaton County, Michigan the roads going north-south are called Roads and the roads going east-west are called Highway's.

For example, a local dirt road in Eaton County is called a Highway.

sparker

El Camino Real's a pretty appropriate if a bit hyperbolic name.  But, as a direct-translation Spanish-language phrase, it works -- unlike its Sacramento-area counterpart:  El Camino Ave., which literally translates into "The Road Avenue".  That particular street has had that name for at least 90 years; you'd think that someone somewhere (possibly a Spanish teacher) might have called the city or county on this -- particularly in a state with a large portion of its cities and geographic features expressed in Spanish! 

MNHighwayMan

In Duluth, MN there's a four lane divided highway (most of it is MN-194) called Central Entrance (abbreviated Central Ent on signs).

catsynth

Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

catsynth

Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

sandwalk

In Denver we have Santa Fe Drive. It's approximately 29 miles long and at some points is 4 lanes in each direction with turn lanes. Much of the road carries US 85.

kalvado

Quote from: catsynth on August 13, 2017, 03:55:32 PM
Adirondack Northway? (NY)
Probably more of an individual name, not suffix. Northway, Thruway, Masspike... Broadway is somewhat similar.

silverback1065

i thought el camino real meant "the royal road" in english

akotchi

There is also Alligator Alley in Florida.  How many alleys are 80 miles long and carry an Interstate designation?
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Flint1979

Quote from: akotchi on August 13, 2017, 10:05:34 PM
There is also Alligator Alley in Florida.  How many alleys are 80 miles long and carry an Interstate designation?
The name "Alligator Alley" was given by the American Automobile Association while it was planned since they believed it would be useless to cars, merely an "alley for alligators".

JKRhodes

If "Drive" counts, several major urban streets in the Phoenix region come to mind: Union Hills Drive and Val Vista Drive are both around 19 miles long, McClintock is 11, Lincoln is just over 7. Priest is broken in two segments, totaling about 8 miles.

Jackrabbit Trail is about 10 miles long, currently two lanes in many spots, but it's a main road that sits on a section line in an growth path. It's only a matter of time before it's 4-6 lanes along its length. Ditto for Verrado Way.

In Tucson, Alvernon Way is 14 miles. Old Spanish Trail is just under 17. Mary Ann Cleveland Way is about 5 miles.

WillWeaverRVA

VA 40 in Sussex County is known as Sussex Drive (except in Waverly, where it's Main Street) and runs for about 28 miles or so.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.