Your State's Most Controversial Interstate

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, April 09, 2018, 12:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: Rothman on April 16, 2018, 09:35:47 PM
Yep, original plans predated Moses, but again, just because the plans existed doesn't mean Moses had to construct them and he certainly presented his own proposals in the late '40s.  He was in power in NYC; his influence over the project is simply undebatable.

He didn't have to, but the construction of the Cross Bronx Expressway as a segment of I-95 had strong impetuses also at the state and federal level.

Is "your book" the paperback you referred me to?  You should actually read The Power Broker.  Caro's sources are quite extensive and thorough, especially when it comes to the number of parks Moses established and where he did.   

Not "my book", the one I cited upthread.  Yes, I do have a copy of the Power Broker (a 'paperback' FYI) and have for about 20 years.  The critical review is an example of many arguments I have seen in the past, there are a whole host of problems in the book.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Rothman

Quote from: Beltway on April 16, 2018, 09:58:25 PM
Yep, original plans predated Moses, but again, just because the plans existed doesn't mean Moses had to construct them and he certainly presented his own proposals in the late '40s.  He was in power in NYC; his influence over the project is simply undebatable.

He didn't have to, but the construction of the Cross Bronx Expressway as a segment of I-95 had strong impetuses also at the state and federal level.

Is "your book" the paperback you referred me to?  You should actually read The Power Broker.  Caro's sources are quite extensive and thorough, especially when it comes to the number of parks Moses established and where he did.   

Not "my book", the one I cited upthread.  Yes, I do have a copy of the Power Broker (a 'paperback' FYI) and have for about 20 years.  The critical review is an example of many arguments I have seen in the past, there are a whole host of problems in the book.

Godspeed with your continued tilting at those windmills. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Beltway

Quote from: Rothman on April 16, 2018, 10:43:02 PM

Why don't you try addressing the points in that review, rather than trolling?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Rothman

Quote from: Beltway on April 16, 2018, 10:53:35 PM

I did.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Beltway

Quote from: Rothman on April 16, 2018, 10:56:18 PM
Quote from: Beltway on April 16, 2018, 10:53:35 PM
I did.

You handwaved it.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

bugo

Quote from: kkt on April 16, 2018, 02:01:04 AM
Quote from: Rothman on April 15, 2018, 10:28:54 PM
Uh-huh... :D  A paperback book that is essentially out of print?  I suppose I'll check it out, but one wonders why this book has essentially gone the way of the dodo if its arguments were accepted.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=robert+moses+single+minded+genius
Books go out of print all the time.  It doesn't mean they're bad, it means they're no longer selling well.
This one is in lots of college libraries, if you don't feel like shelling out $50 for something you'll probably only read once.

I checked the Tulsa County library catalog and there are several books about Robert Moses: "Robert Moses and the Modern City", "The Battle for Gotham", "The Power Broker", "Wrestling With Moses" and a few others that are in part about him. I just put a hold on "The Power Broker" which will be delivered to my local branch within a few days.

maxk

In Washington, I would say that the toll lanes on Interstate 405 are most controversial. The Seattle area has terrible traffic problems, and there are now two dedicated toll lanes on I-405 and only three general traffic lanes. During rush hour, tolls cap out at $10.00 per vehicle.

Other than that, I think that interstate 705 in Tacoma has some opponents, but that it isn't terribly controversial.

Bruce

Quote from: maxk on April 18, 2018, 07:09:58 PM
In Washington, I would say that the toll lanes on Interstate 405 are most controversial. The Seattle area has terrible traffic problems, and there are now two dedicated toll lanes on I-405 and only three general traffic lanes. During rush hour, tolls cap out at $10.00 per vehicle.

Other than that, I think that interstate 705 in Tacoma has some opponents, but that it isn't terribly controversial.

Not even close. The construction of I-5 during the 1960s brought out actual protests and helped spur the successful anti-freeway movement that cancelled the Bay Freeway and Thompson Expressway (among other projects). The backlash from the I-405 toll lanes is contained within a small group of anti-toll wackos and doesn't come close to representing a significant portion of I-405 commuters.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.