News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

You know you're a roadgeek when...

Started by yakra, February 27, 2011, 12:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate Trav

Quote from: meestersam on February 28, 2011, 12:09:14 AM
When your friends ask if they can fold you up and keep you in their glove box.

Check

triplemultiplex

...your ATM PIN is road-related.  (or for that matter, your password on this forum).
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

US71

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 28, 2011, 06:17:30 PM
...your ATM PIN is road-related.  (or for that matter, your password on this forum).

Guilty
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Michael

Quote from: cu2010 on February 27, 2011, 01:42:31 PM
...when you notice right away when a road sign font is being used in a print advertisement.

Guilty.  See Walgreens' ads

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on February 27, 2011, 03:51:14 PM
-when people often ask you "where is...." or "what's the best way to get to..." or "how far is it from... to....." and they know you will know the answer or if you don't know it right away a quick look at the map will get the answer.

Guilty.

Quote from: PennDOTFan on February 27, 2011, 06:15:26 PM
...when you have a nickname related to something map/road related (a few of my friends call me Garmin)

Some of my friends call me Google.

-when you eagerly anticipate every guide sign when taking a trip on a road you have never been on before.

I eagerly anticipate the entire road. :D

Quote from: thenetwork on February 27, 2011, 09:33:03 PM
...you can stare at a road map for more than just a couple of minutes.

I can read a paper map for an hour or more.  I've spent whole days on Google Maps.

Quote from: ctsignguy on February 27, 2011, 11:33:40 PM
...you write up reports, meeting minutes, et al, and file them in as official documents ....and they are in Roadgeek D font

I've made posters and PowerPoint presentations in Series E Modified (complete with correct MUTCD colors!)

Quote from: meestersam on February 28, 2011, 12:09:14 AM
When your friends ask if they can fold you up and keep you in their glove box.

I think I've heard that once or twice before.

Quote from: Interstate Trav on February 28, 2011, 04:30:50 PM
When at age 8 your neighbors would stop by your house to ask you for directions.

I was giving directions to people who asked my mom when I was that age.

When you to this day (I'm now 23) still draw maps.

Guilty, but I'm only 21.

When you hear certain numbers and instantly think of your favorite freeway or route.

I do that with US 15.

Quote from: ctsignguy on February 27, 2011, 06:11:56 PM
...when you get a 'fat flat package' in the mail at work, and your boss inquires which state it is from...

-when your college choir director invites you to go on tour with the group after you graduated and pays for your airfare to meet up with the group just so you can navigate for the bus driver on a trip around California and the Southwest.

I LOL'd.  Literally

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 28, 2011, 06:17:30 PM

Would your password be something like "IH8I99" perhaps?

cjk374

...when your brothers and sister look at you around Christmas time and say, "a Garmin wouldn't do you any good, would it."

...you study a map for an hour or two a few days before a long road trip, and don't need the map again for the rest of the trip.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Michael

Quote from: cjk374 on February 28, 2011, 06:51:33 PM
...you study a map for an hour or two a few days before a long road trip, and don't need the map again for the rest of the trip.

Guilty.

To add to the thread:
...You draw roads with sidewalk chalk.  I would always run out of yellow chalk and I'd be left with an assorted color pack with everything but yellow.  At least I could get packs of just white chalk.  I wish I had a picture to post.  One of my neighbors a few years younger than me thought it was cool that I could draw roads.

Duke87

...you can immediately recognize when a sign has been replaced since the list time you drove down a road

...you can, from memory, sketch out the physical configuration of every traffic signal you pass regularly

...you remember exactly how to get to a place you were at only once, and not recently
("How can you not remember how to get there? You were there just a few months ago!")

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

allniter89

Your local tv weatherman is talking about the current "big weather event" somewhere you've never visited and you think of the highways that will be affected.
If two or more cities are mentioned in the same paragraph (about anything), I sometimes think of how I would drive that route.  :-/  :nod:
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Interstate Trav

When you go into AAA for the free maps, and they all know you and when you were younger would joking say ' oh no not him again'

I did the chalk thing too, and I drew all sorts of smaller streets.
I actually took my entire backyard when I was younger and turned it into a town as far as numbered highways and streets.  I even made replica signs and visitors would get a real kick out of it.  Drove my parents nuts though.

When you can read a map for fun for hours or for days.

When you can sketch the freeway system, from pretty much every main city in the Country from memory. 

When you used to use playdough and toothpicks to cunstruct freeway interchanges when you were younger on your time off.

Interstate Trav

When on a trip you take more pictures of highway signs then anything else

When you Count Mile Markers (well in California postmile markers)

Sykotyk

Quote from: Michael on February 28, 2011, 07:25:52 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on February 28, 2011, 06:51:33 PM

Guilty.

To add to the thread:
...You draw roads with sidewalk chalk.  I would always run out of yellow chalk and I'd be left with an assorted color pack with everything but yellow.  At least I could get packs of just white chalk.  I wish I had a picture to post.  One of my neighbors a few years younger than me thought it was cool that I could draw roads.

I did that all the time in our garage or driveway. Also, when I was really little, i designed roads in the sandbox with overpasses, mountains, intersections, etc. for matchbox cars.

njroadhorse

You know you're a roadgeek when you eagerly anticipate bringing your car to college, just so you can do some roadgeekery on the trips back/around town.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

cu2010

Quote from: Sykotyk on March 01, 2011, 04:53:13 PM
I did that all the time in our garage or driveway. Also, when I was really little, i designed roads in the sandbox with overpasses, mountains, intersections, etc. for matchbox cars.

I've done that. I even once built road signs out of Legos for it!
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Interstate Trav

Quote from: cu2010 on March 02, 2011, 02:07:37 PM

I used to use popsicle sticks for the posts holding the signs then draw them as close as I could to the interstate stye signs.  I even had one where I made it the California Nevada Stateline and the Nevada signs were with toothpicks with the back end braces just like the ones in Nevada.  I would really get into it.

cu2010

...when your favorite pricing game on The Price is Right is Golden Road, simply because it has "road" in the name.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

rickmastfan67

... you bitch at the TV reporters because they called a US Highway a State Route.

... mutter to yourself when the local TV map makers forgot to use the right shield or used the wrong route number in the shield! (a local news station recently put I-279 shields back on the Parkway West, but changed the back to I-376 after a bit)

Quote from: Michael on February 28, 2011, 06:48:36 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on February 27, 2011, 06:15:26 PM
...when you have a nickname related to something map/road related (a few of my friends call me Garmin)

Some of my friends call me Google.

My mom calls me GPS. lol.

The Premier

When you write homework using Series E(M) (on the computer, that is).

When you draw road signs.
Alex P. Dent

agentsteel53

Quote from: The Premier on March 03, 2011, 08:40:56 AM
When you write homework using Series E(M).

good lord!  anyone who has the ability to handwrite in Series EM....  yeesh!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 03, 2011, 12:50:52 PM
Quote from: The Premier on March 03, 2011, 08:40:56 AM
When you write homework using Series E(M).

good lord!  anyone who has the ability to handwrite in Series EM....  yeesh!

Heh.  It's actually not that hard.  Just keep your g's tail to a minimum, and use no tail on a q, and you're basically there.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

I think my handwriting is naturally about D width.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Michael

Quote from: Duke87 on February 28, 2011, 08:32:31 PM
...you remember exactly how to get to a place you were at only once, and not recently

Guilty, yet again.

Quote from: Interstate Trav on March 01, 2011, 02:21:42 AM
I actually took my entire backyard when I was younger and turned it into a town as far as numbered highways and streets.  I even made replica signs and visitors would get a real kick out of it.  Drove my parents nuts though.

When I was little, I rode my bike around Hoopes Park in Auburn.  I made a numbering system in the park based on local routes I knew of.  Here's a map (click for a bigger version):

Key:
Black: US 20
Red: NY 321
Yellow: US 20-NY 321 connector (I didn't know what reference routes were back then)
Purple: John Glenn Blvd.
Light Yellow: NY 89
Green: NY 48 (the trail was rough just like the real NY 48)
Pink: Brookside Drive
Orange: NY 5 (a little short, I know)
Lines that end at the edge of the map continue, but I never planned their routes.

I can spend hours or even whole days on Google Maps.

When you used to use playdough and toothpicks to cunstruct freeway interchanges when you were younger on your time off.

I used K'nex to make roads complete with BGSes (just the supports) and streetlights.  I would also make stoplights and hang them from our drop ceiling.  I printed little signal heads on the computer too.  My mom didn't like things hanging from the ceiling, though.

ctsignguy

Quote from: Interstate Trav on March 02, 2011, 10:45:52 PM

I used to use popsicle sticks for the posts holding the signs then draw them as close as I could to the interstate stye signs.  I even had one where I made it the California Nevada Stateline and the Nevada signs were with toothpicks with the back end braces just like the ones in Nevada.  I would really get into it.

Popsicle sticks for signposts...and cutout shapes from cigarette cartons for the signs...i even took care to write 'State Traffic Commission" on the signs i made....as on the real ones
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

yakra

Quote from: cu2010 on March 02, 2011, 11:19:07 PM
...when your favorite pricing game on The Price is Right is Golden Road, simply because it has "road" in the name.
If I did watch The Price is Right, Golden Road would be my favorite `cuz that's the name of the mighty logging road that runs from Millinocket west thru the hinterlands to the QC border!
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Interstate Trav

Quote from: Michael on March 03, 2011, 05:09:39 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on February 28, 2011, 08:32:31 PM

Guilty, yet again.

When I was little, I rode my bike around Hoopes Park in Auburn.  I made a numbering system in the park based on local routes I knew of.  Here's a map (click for a bigger version):

Key:
Black: US 20
Red: NY 321
Yellow: US 20-NY 321 connector (I didn't know what reference routes were back then)
Purple: John Glenn Blvd.
Light Yellow: NY 89
Green: NY 48 (the trail was rough just like the real NY 48)
Pink: Brookside Drive
Orange: NY 5 (a little short, I know)
Lines that end at the edge of the map continue, but I never planned their routes.

I can spend hours or even whole days on Google Maps.

I used K'nex to make roads complete with BGSes (just the supports) and streetlights.  I would also make stoplights and hang them from our drop ceiling.  I printed little signal heads on the computer too.  My mom didn't like things hanging from the ceiling, though.

Now thats really cool.  I once connected my neighbors yard and my yard and a few vacant yards, and actually drew maps and gave them to everyone.  I also made roadsigns too.  Designing that, what you did in that picture, really cool.

I used to always want to build a freeway to freeway connector.
Also gool about tthe stoplights, I always used legos for the lights themselves, and I had to hand draw the signs since I didn't have a computer.  I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who did and does stuff like this.

Interstate Trav

Quote from: ctsignguy on March 04, 2011, 12:36:13 AM
Quote from: Interstate Trav on March 02, 2011, 10:45:52 PM

I used to use popsicle sticks for the posts holding the signs then draw them as close as I could to the interstate stye signs.  I even had one where I made it the California Nevada Stateline and the Nevada signs were with toothpicks with the back end braces just like the ones in Nevada.  I would really get into it.

Popsicle sticks for signposts...and cutout shapes from cigarette cartons for the signs...i even took care to write 'State Traffic Commission" on the signs i made....as on the real ones

State Traffic commision, thats cool, always got to pay attention to detail.  I even made minature mile markers and the California Postmile markers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.