News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 28, 2023, 07:11:41 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 28, 2023, 04:11:38 AM
Well it’s the first time in years that those crossovers are being used. It’s a shame the overhead at the NJ side crossover that once told I-295/ US 130 and Route 49 ( on two panels)to keep right is now gone as it would be of handy for that configuration.

Not in this case. That lane is signed on the Delaware side for the NJ Turnpike only. On the NJ side, pylons keep that lane on the left directing that traffic for the Turnpike.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/G2v78PLsPEtdzQGN6

Times and traffic volumes change, as I can see why the pylons.  In 1972 weaving wouldn’t have been an issue then. Plus the use of a jersey barrier todayto separate traffic as the overhead signals would have sufficed decades ago.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

Alex4897

DelDOT and Newark are looking at removing the signal at W Park Place and Apple Road, and possibly even the signal a couple blocks down at Orchard Road as well.

https://www.newarkpostonline.com/news/deldot-proposes-to-remove-traffic-light-on-west-park-place/article_9f06eee0-4e05-58f4-805c-e71e3da5f8f0.html

State officials are seeking to remove the traffic light at the intersection of West Park Place and Apple Road and convert the intersection to a four-way stop sign.

Peter Haag, chief of traffic engineering for the Delaware Department of Transportation, made the request to the Newark Traffic Committee last week.

DelDOT was doing inspections of traffic lights around the city and found structural issues with one of the poles at the intersection. The city's electric department made temporary repairs, but the incident sparked conversation over whether the light is needed.

Haag said that neither the traffic volume nor the number of crashes at the intersection justify having a traffic light there. In the last three years, there were four documented crashes at the intersection.

"We're not even near the threshold of justifying a traffic signal,"  he said.

Modeling shows that converting the intersection to a four-way stop sign would improve traffic flow, Haag added.

Filasky said the city has looked at removing the traffic light at West Park Place and Orchard Road too, but the angle of the roads could make it a more challenging four-way stop.

"Obviously, we'd prefer not to have any lights on that stretch,"  he said. "It's certainly something we're looking at. Let's see how successful this one is before we move down the road."

If they get to the Orchard Road intersection, I might have to ask around and try snagging one for my collection :biggrin:

👉😎👉

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alex4897 on March 02, 2023, 10:51:08 AM
DelDOT and Newark are looking at removing the signal at W Park Place and Apple Road, and possibly even the signal a couple blocks down at Orchard Road as well.

https://www.newarkpostonline.com/news/deldot-proposes-to-remove-traffic-light-on-west-park-place/article_9f06eee0-4e05-58f4-805c-e71e3da5f8f0.html

State officials are seeking to remove the traffic light at the intersection of West Park Place and Apple Road and convert the intersection to a four-way stop sign.

Peter Haag, chief of traffic engineering for the Delaware Department of Transportation, made the request to the Newark Traffic Committee last week.

DelDOT was doing inspections of traffic lights around the city and found structural issues with one of the poles at the intersection. The city's electric department made temporary repairs, but the incident sparked conversation over whether the light is needed.

Haag said that neither the traffic volume nor the number of crashes at the intersection justify having a traffic light there. In the last three years, there were four documented crashes at the intersection.

Modeling shows that converting the intersection to a four-way stop sign would improve traffic flow, Haag added.

Filasky said the city has looked at removing the traffic light at West Park Place and Orchard Road too, but the angle of the roads could make it a more challenging four-way stop.

"Obviously, we'd prefer not to have any lights on that stretch,"  he said. "It's certainly something we're looking at. Let's see how successful this one is before we move down the road."

If they get to the Orchard Road intersection, I might have to ask around and try snagging one for my collection :biggrin:

It's two roads that don't even have a center line.  Kinda wonder what the justification was to put the light up in the first place.

But I'm also intrigued at what the 'structural issue' of the pole is.  They're just standard utility poles.  Put one in right next to the other.  Occurs all the time when there's a crash where a car hit a pole.  Why does DelDOT need multiple months to deal with something that Delmarva Power can do on an emergency call basis in a few hours?

Alex4897

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 02, 2023, 10:26:20 PM

It's two roads that don't even have a center line.  Kinda wonder what the justification was to put the light up in the first place.

But I'm also intrigued at what the 'structural issue' of the pole is.  They're just standard utility poles.  Put one in right next to the other.  Occurs all the time when there's a crash where a car hit a pole.  Why does DelDOT need multiple months to deal with something that Delmarva Power can do on an emergency call basis in a few hours?

I suspect the justification may just be "because the 50s / 60s." The Apple Road intersection went in sometime around the late 50s / early 60s going off old aerials and I imagine those lights are probably original. The Orchard Road intersection predates it by at least a few decades, but given the lights look like they're from similar manufacturers I'd have to guess they were all put up around the same time.

I don't think they're removing the lights over the 'structural issue,' it sounds more like enough people high up started wondering aloud why the light was even still there as it was being fixed.
👉😎👉

Alex

Those are the only two signal arrays in Newark remaining with any character, especially at W Park Place/Orchard Road.

W Park Place at Orchard Road in 2017

W Park Place at Apple Road in 2014

Further east at E Park Place and Chapel Street were these classic Eagle Flatback flashers, probably dating back from when Chapel Street continued south across the AMTRAK Northeast Corridor.

I haven't taken that stretch in awhile and the pic is from 2014, but they were still there as of 2019 per GSV.

They should go back to stop signs at Apple Road/Barksdale Road, or change it to a roundabout. I waited at those several times over Christmas. Barksdale Road just east of there has a stop sign where a flasher once was:

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Alex4897

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 06, 2023, 06:12:43 PM
(For DE 7)  TRAFFIC ALERT - New Castle County - Southbound Route 7 to Close Under I-95

It's about time the surface was replaced through there, people in the area thought it was supposed to get taken care of during the interchange rebuild project 10 years ago.
👉😎👉

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

ixnay

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 31, 2023, 10:51:27 AM
Quote from: Alex4897 on January 26, 2023, 04:46:07 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 26, 2023, 10:35:01 AM
(For US 13)  TRAFFIC ALERT - New Castle County - St. Georges Bridge to Close for 18 Months for Repairs

Just in time for the Reedy Point Bridge reopening in March. The bridge deck is in horrendous shape so this'll be a welcome improvement.

TRAFFIC ALERT - New Castle County - St. Georges Bridge to Close for 18 Months for Repairs

A quarter century after they *almost* closed the old StGB permanently IIRC (the now-Roth Bridge had been open a couple of years at the time).  Anyone know anything about that near closure?

Watch everything between Biddles Corner and Wrangle Hill (the US 13/DE 7/DE 72 junction) become a linear ghost town.

Meanwhile, outside of Millsboro...

https://www.wrde.com/news/north-millsboro-bypass-breaks-ground/article_dafc88c8-d003-11ed-becb-1bfcd5f594fe.html

https://www.coastalpoint.com/news/ground-to-be-broken-on-millsboro-bypass/article_d4ba94f8-cf29-11ed-bc3e-87101894b4c4.html
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

74/171FAN

I wonder how likely it may be that DE 30 gets put on it now that it is truncated to DE 24.

Alex4897

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 31, 2023, 08:28:45 PM
I wonder how likely it may be that DE 30 gets put on it now that it is truncated to DE 24.

Did they actually follow through with this in the field? When I passed through the area last fall it still looked to be signed.
Based on construction plans and DelDOT's previous willingness to let bits and pieces of longer corridors go without signed designations (old US 301 between DE 299 and DE 71, old DE 30 between DE 24 and 26, and to a lesser extent old US 113 into Dover) it looks like 30 is going to be left dangling partway into Millsboro ending at old DE 24.

You can find the construction plans here if you search 'Millsboro'.
👉😎👉

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alex4897 on March 31, 2023, 10:07:15 PM

Did they actually follow through with this in the field? When I passed through the area last fall it still looked to be signed.
Based on construction plans and DelDOT's previous willingness to let bits and pieces of longer corridors go without signed designations (old US 301 between DE 299 and DE 71, old DE 30 between DE 24 and 26, and to a lesser extent old US 113 into Dover) it looks like 30 is going to be left dangling partway into Millsboro ending at old DE 24.

You can find the construction plans here if you search 'Millsboro'.

Yes, I checked it out in mid-February.  Most of the signs have been removed.

froggie

Possible, but doubtful given that the bypass will extend on both sides of 30.  Would make more sense to give the bypass a single number instead of part of it being 30 and part of it being something else.  Also can't rule out that the bypass may become a rerouted DE 24.

Alex4897

Quote from: froggie on April 01, 2023, 12:19:19 AM
Also can't rule out that the bypass may become a rerouted DE 24.

It is per construction plans. I've not been able to find plans for the US 113 interchange as that's a separate contract, I can only assume DE 24 will run concurrently down to the light in Millsboro from there.
👉😎👉

froggie

If that's been finalized (24 moving to the bypass), I REALLY doubt 30 would be extended along the bypass.

ixnay

The POW/MIA Parkway on Dover's SW side appears to have room for an additional lane each way if DelDOT deems it necessary some day.  Is that true of the Millsboro bypass's design, as well?
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.