News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

"Classic" Google Maps to disappear forever

Started by SignGeek101, April 14, 2015, 06:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 22, 2015, 03:41:18 PM

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on April 20, 2015, 07:35:51 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 19, 2015, 11:30:31 PM

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on April 19, 2015, 11:12:19 PM
Google's just like YouTube. They don't give a crap about what you say to them, even if you told them to keep the classic version. They just flat out shunt you. Just nothing a bunch of low class bots and a handful of humans having a go at this crappy "new" version, which, by the way, isn't "new" in my book.

You realize that Google has owned YouTube for something like eight years, right?

Uh, I KNOW they do, not just realize they do.

My point is that Google isn't like YouTube, Google is YouTube.  From your post it sounded like you were comparing two different entities.

Actually, it's more like YouTube is Google.  As are a lot of other things out there people might not realize.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Brandon on April 22, 2015, 03:43:49 PM

Google's just like YouTube. They don't give a crap about what you say to them, even if you told them to keep the classic version. They just flat out shunt you. Just nothing a bunch of low class bots and a handful of humans having a go at this crappy "new" version, which, by the way, isn't "new" in my book.

You realize that Google has owned YouTube for something like eight years, right?

My point is that Google isn't like YouTube, Google is YouTube.  From your post it sounded like you were comparing two different entities.

Actually, it's more like YouTube is Google.  As are a lot of other things out there people might not realize.

Soon, we will all be Google.

bugo

The cartography on the Bing site is just fine. It is as good as Google's if not better. Mapquest has perhaps the best cartography of any online mapping site, partially because it shows actual state highway shields and not just circles. Google's cartography isn't anything special, anyway.

jakeroot

Quote from: bugo on April 22, 2015, 04:22:11 PM
Google's cartography isn't anything special, anyway.

Perhaps it's not special, but the rendering is far superior. Bing and Mapquest both look like they're pre-rendered .jpeg's set to half quality. Google Maps looks more like a vector drawing program, rendered on-the-fly.

NJRoadfan

The cartography on the Bing site is just fine. It is as good as Google's if not better. Mapquest has perhaps the best cartography of any online mapping site, partially because it shows actual state highway shields and not just circles. Google's cartography isn't anything special, anyway.

Mapquest is using TomTom (former TeleAtlas) data these days. Bing uses HERE/Nokia (former Navteq). Google started off using Navteq, switched to TeleAtlas briefly and finally started their own database.

Brandon

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 22, 2015, 03:56:07 PM

Quote from: Brandon on April 22, 2015, 03:43:49 PM

Soon, we will all be Google.

God, I hope not.  If they get their driverless cars to market, I fear for the general population with the way Google can't make much work properly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Scott5114

OpenStreetMap has pretty good data, but the cartography is pretty awful (since the legend is designed for British roads). I think Mapquest uses OSM data but renders it with their own cartography.

I don't mind circles for state highways on maps because a lot of state route shields don't work too well at less than 24" × 24". Apple Maps puts meat cleavers on OK state highways and it...kind of works.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Highway63

Google is the basis for Apple iPhoto's Places function, which I use to geotag photos. I really really really hope that won't be affected. The new Apple Photos doesn't even HAVE a manual-geotag feature (because you're supposed to take all your pictures with your iPhone and its built-in location sensor, you see).

The new Google Maps is less functional and does fancy things that don't improve the user experience - so, like a lot of software development since about 2010. It STILL cannot figure out point-to-point with "to:/from:" in the line.

(Also, at this point, I think the exclusion of county lines is specifically to troll those of us who care.)

Scott5114

Quote from: Jeff Morrison on April 23, 2015, 12:04:15 AM
It STILL cannot figure out point-to-point with "to:/from:" in the line.

I thought this couldn't be right, so I tested it. "from:XXX to:XXX" works, but "to:XXX from:XXX" doesn't. The more you know.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rickmastfan67

I just got switched to the 'new' version. :ded:

Highway63

That exact order was not intended to be representative, but let me explain in greater detail.

In "Classic" Google Maps, I can type this in the search bar:

and it gives me a route map from Des Moines to La Crosse to Mankato that I can manipulate.

In the "new" Google Maps, I type that exact line and it zooms in on three apparently completely unrelated things in La Crosse (UW-La Crosse, Fayze's Restaurant and Bakery, and Menards). No route map, no nothing.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 22, 2015, 10:28:56 AM
Google Maps "Lite" actually works pretty well. The only things I don't like about it is that you can't default to satellite view and you can't view the old street view images. Other than that, it doesn't lag as much and loads things rather fast. If they implemented the ability to view old street view images or default the map view to satellite, I'd happily swap over to Google Maps Lite. Hell, when the old Google Maps disappears, I'll probably go to the "Lite" version.
A few more things to add onto what I said earlier about the "Lite" version:

• You can't directly link to street view images.
  • You can't see what month and year the images were taken.
  • Right-clicking the map will provide you with two options: directions to or from the locations you right-clicked.
  • Street-view is also still somewhat laggy, but it doesn't seem to be any worse than on the "full" version or on "classic".
Still more functional than the full version, IMO though.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

NJRoadfan

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 22, 2015, 10:24:02 PM
OpenStreetMap has pretty good data, but the cartography is pretty awful (since the legend is designed for British roads). I think Mapquest uses OSM data but renders it with their own cartography.

the main Mapquest site uses TomTom. They offer OSM data with their renderer via open.mapquest.com

kphoger

Can't drag a route in the Lite version. I just found out the full version doesn't work on my office computer. I don't know if our Windows 7 is not fully up to date, or of it's Chrome, but either way it's out of my hands.

Poo. And that's not cool.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadrunner75

When I launched "Classic" earlier today at work via my 'favorites' link in the browser, it sent me right to the new maps.  There was no longer an option in "Help" to return to Classic.  Now at home, I can get back into Classic via the link, and the option has returned in the new maps as well.  Test run perhaps? 

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on April 23, 2015, 10:47:44 PM
When I launched "Classic" earlier today at work via my 'favorites' link in the browser, it sent me right to the new maps.  There was no longer an option in "Help" to return to Classic.  Now at home, I can get back into Classic via the link, and the option has returned in the new maps as well.  Test run perhaps?

What happens when you type https://www.google.com/maps?output=classic directly into the search bar?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Roadrunner75

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 24, 2015, 02:21:46 PM
What happens when you type https://www.google.com/maps?output=classic directly into the search bar?
It seems like Classic has been coming and going throughout the day.  Earlier today I used my link to Classic and it dumped me again in the new maps.  This time it had the "Classic" button in help, which sent me right to the new "Lite" maps (which is no better than the new maps).  Now when I go to my link (or your link above), I can go back to Classic again.  Maybe they are periodically disabling access to Classic to prod people gradually into the new maps.  Need to find an alternative quick.

SignGeek101

I tried the new Google Streetview on another desktop in my house, and it worked smoothly there. I guess it works for some (say with good chips or something), but for the rest of us it sucks.

I plan on going to Google Earth.

BigRedDog

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on April 24, 2015, 03:41:09 PM
It seems like Classic has been coming and going throughout the day.  Earlier today I used my link to Classic and it dumped me again in the new maps.  This time it had the "Classic" button in help, which sent me right to the new "Lite" maps (which is no better than the new maps).  Now when I go to my link (or your link above), I can go back to Classic again.  Maybe they are periodically disabling access to Classic to prod people gradually into the new maps.  Need to find an alternative quick.

FWIW, I had Classic when I clicked the link. I've also had Classic the half dozen or so times today I've used it.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: BigRedDog on April 24, 2015, 04:41:33 PM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on April 24, 2015, 03:41:09 PM
FWIW, I had Classic when I clicked the link. I've also had Classic the half dozen or so times today I've used it.
I just updated my link to be exactly what was posted above, and I am back to Classic again.  My previous link, which always got me there no longer works.  It looks like if you don't use that exact link, you can no longer get to Classic directly from new maps, and it just sends you to Lite.  Hopefully Google will just leave the Classic interface accessible that way, even if they don't update GSV, etc.

Alps

This has been my link, and as long as it works, I'm going there. The ability to display multiple boundaries/points of interest simultaneously and the ability to turn off labels in aerial view are both critical to my utility, especially as it relates to trip-planning or website writing.

SignGeek101

Quote from: Alps on April 25, 2015, 02:11:32 AM

This has been my link, and as long as it works, I'm going there. The ability to display multiple boundaries/points of interest simultaneously and the ability to turn off labels in aerial view are both critical to my utility, especially as it relates to trip-planning or website writing.

Works for me as well, at least for now.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: SignGeek101 on April 25, 2015, 02:25:21 AM
Quote from: Alps on April 25, 2015, 02:11:32 AM

Works for me as well, at least for now.

They've turned off short link generation at that link. :(

bugo

Quote from: SignGeek101 on April 24, 2015, 04:40:32 PM
I tried the new Google Streetview on another desktop in my house, and it worked smoothly there. I guess it works for some (say with good chips or something), but for the rest of us it sucks.

I plan on going to Google Earth.

I'm probably changing to Bing. Google Earth takes time to load and it is a memory hog.

US 41

I hit the question mark this morning to return back to classic google maps and it sends me to lite mode instead.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.