News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

2014 city population estimates

Started by golden eagle, May 22, 2015, 06:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

The US Census Bureau released its annual population estimates for the nation's cities, and as no surprise, New York, Los Angeles and Chicago are the three biggest cities. But Houston has now pulled to within less than a half million of Chicago, which is experiencing slow gains. Phoenix is about 23K less than Philadelphia. I thought Phoenix was going to pass Philly during the 2010 census. Other things of note:

San Jose topped the one million mark. Now, all of the nation's ten biggest cities have at least one million people. Austin crossed over the 900K mark, putting itself in great position to be the next millionaire city. Fort Worth and Charlotte are now over 800K.

Detroit, on the other hand, continues to shrink as it's just barely over 680K. Only about 1200 separates them and El Paso.

Nashville is coming closer to overthrowing Memphis as Tennessee's largest city. Less than 13K separate them.

For a listing of the largest cities:

http://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?src=bkmk

GaryV

Quote from: golden eagle on May 22, 2015, 06:50:06 PMDetroit, on the other hand, continues to shrink as it's just barely over 680K. Only about 1200 separates them and El Paso.
The spin on the stories around here is that Detroit's decline has slowed - lost the least amount of people in a number of years.

iowahighways

Based on the latest estimates, Des Moines is now at its all-time high of 209,220, breaking its 1960 peak of 208,982 despite having smaller city limits in 1960.

Iowa City overtook Waterloo for fifth place and West Des Moines has leapfrogged over Ames and Council Bluffs for seventh. (I know Ankeny, West Des Moines, and Clive are all taking a special census this year.)
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

empirestate

I can't remember offhand, do we have any states yet whose largest city is a suburb? (Don't say New Jersey. :-P)

golden eagle

Don't some consider Virginia Beach as a suburb of Norfolk, though VB is about twice as large?

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

empirestate

Quote from: golden eagle on May 22, 2015, 11:59:48 PM
Don't some consider Virginia Beach as a suburb of Norfolk, though VB is about twice as large?

Ah yes, forgot about that. There is a central city to Virginia Beach, but it seems to me that much of the city's area is suburban to Norfolk rather than to itself.

vtk

Columbus continues to add more than 10K annually. At this rate, would break 1M by 2030.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

golden eagle

I'm looking at trends in Alabama...the four largest cities are all within about 24,000 people of each other:

Birmingham 212,247
Montgomery 200,481
Mobile 194,675
Huntsville 188,226

Birmingham's population is relatively flat; Montgomery and Mobile are dropping and Huntsville is booming. In the next 10-15 years, the HSV will be Alabama's largest city.

In South Carolina, Charleston has narrowed the gap between and Columbia to be the state's largest city. in 2010, Columbia let Charleston by almost 9200. Now, the lead is down by just less than 2000.

SSOWorld

Quote from: empirestate on May 22, 2015, 11:44:06 PM
I can't remember offhand, do we have any states yet whose largest city is a suburb? (Don't say New Jersey. :-P)
Minneapolis to St Paul? oh wait :P
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

6a

Quote from: vtk on May 23, 2015, 12:16:59 AM
Columbus continues to add more than 10K annually. At this rate, would break 1M by 2030.
I lived in Atlanta right after the Olympics and, while that region was far bigger to start with, some of the things happening here remind me of that. It's neat to watch and at least there is more than lip service being paid to filling in some of the inner ring.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: golden eagle on May 22, 2015, 06:50:06 PM
Phoenix is about 23K less than Philadelphia. I thought Phoenix was going to pass Philly during the 2010 census. Other things of note:

I thought Phoenix passed Philly many years ago.  In fact, this article from 2007 (along with many others), even state as much.  Guess the estimate was a bit off...  http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/06/28/newark-rises-but-not-like-phoenix/?_r=0

golden eagle

There were a number of cities whose estimates were overestimated prior to 2010. I remember Atlanta supposedly having well north of 500K, but the 2010 census only showed about 420K, an increase of about 4000 over 2000's numbers.

kurumi

Welcome San Jose to the one million club.

In Connecticut:
* Stamford has overtaken Hartford
* Danbury and Norwalk are also seeing growth
* Fenwick: I think someone had a baby
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

golden eagle

Quote from: kurumi on May 23, 2015, 12:10:42 PM
Welcome San Jose to the one million club.

In Connecticut:
* Stamford has overtaken Hartford
* Danbury and Norwalk are also seeing growth
* Fenwick: I think someone had a baby

Connecticut has five cities over 100k, all within about 38K of each other. That may be more impressive than Alabama's top four within nearly 24K of each other.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.