News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

21 Bridges

Started by Rothman, July 15, 2019, 11:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

A movie is coming out called 21 Bridges, evidently referencing the bridges to get off of Manhattan.

I am having trouble finding 21 bridges on Manhattan, though, which makes me feel dumb.  Wonder if they're counting tunnels or the other legs of the Triborough off of Randalls Island, or I'm just missing something (maybe a pedestrian bridge).

Also interesting that an earlier title was 17 Bridges...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Beltway

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2019, 11:33:04 PM
A movie is coming out called 21 Bridges, evidently referencing the bridges to get off of Manhattan.
I am having trouble finding 21 bridges on Manhattan, though, which makes me feel dumb.  Wonder if they're counting tunnels or the other legs of the Triborough off of Randalls Island, or I'm just missing something (maybe a pedestrian bridge).
Also interesting that an earlier title was 17 Bridges...

I just counted 20 highway bridges and 4 highway tunnels.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Duke87

Strictly speaking there are 23 overwater bridges that cross the limits of New York County:

1) Brooklyn
2) Manhattan
3) Williamsburg
4) Queensboro
5) Roosevelt Island
6) Triboro (Hell Gate Span)
7) Hell Gate (Hell Gate Span)
8) Bronx Kill footbridge
9) Hell Gate (Bronx Kill span)
10) Triboro (Bronx Kill span)
11) Willis Ave
12) Third Ave
13) Park Ave rail bridge
14) Madison Ave
15) 145h St
16) Macombs Dam
17) High
18) Alexander Hamilton
19) Washington
20) University Heights
21) Henry Hudson
22) Spuyten Duyvil rail bridge
23) George Washington

But if you only count Hell Gate and Triboro once instead of twice, there's your 21.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Rothman

They counted rail bridges?  Cheaters. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Beltway

Quote from: Rothman on July 16, 2019, 07:52:15 AM

I surmise because criminals can walk, drive or ride a train.

21 BRIDGES follows an embattled NYPD detective (Chadwick Boseman), who is thrust into a citywide manhunt for a pair of cop killers after uncovering a massive and unexpected conspiracy.  As the night unfolds, lines become blurred on who he is pursuing, and who is in pursuit of him.  When the search intensifies, extreme measures are taken to prevent the killers from escaping Manhattan as the authorities close all 21 BRIDGES to prevent any entry or exit from the iconic island.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on July 16, 2019, 08:28:50 AM

21 BRIDGES follows an embattled NYPD detective (Chadwick Boseman), who is thrust into a citywide manhunt for a pair of cop killers after uncovering a massive and unexpected conspiracy.  As the night unfolds, lines become blurred on who he is pursuing, and who is in pursuit of him.  When the search intensifies, extreme measures are taken to prevent the killers from escaping Manhattan as the authorities close all 21 BRIDGES to prevent any entry or exit from the iconic island.

That only leaves boats, copters, planes, hot air balloons, tunnels and swimming to escape.

Hopefully the criminals were too stupid to realize there's other ways out of the city.

thspfc

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 16, 2019, 08:56:35 AM

That only leaves boats, copters, planes, hot air balloons, tunnels and swimming to escape.

Hopefully the criminals were too stupid to realize there's other ways out of the city.
Not to mention simply taking the FDR Drive to the Bronx.

Rothman

Quote from: thspfc on July 16, 2019, 10:05:04 AM

Not sure what you mean by this.  Manhattan is an island.  You have to cross a bridge going that way.

thspfc

Quote from: Rothman on July 16, 2019, 10:08:03 AM
Quote from: thspfc on July 16, 2019, 10:05:04 AM

Not sure what you mean by this.  Manhattan is an island.  You have to cross a bridge going that way.
I truly amaze myself sometimes.
:banghead:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.