News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Favorite short (or very short) Virginia primary system highways

Started by cpzilliacus, April 04, 2014, 11:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on May 10, 2014, 08:59:41 AM
I thinks so, as I tried to research it and found that it was indeed decommissioned.  I then automatically thought it was it as I have vague recollection of the signed route.

Another thing interesting I found is that Wikipedia states that VA 162 is only commissioned from the Williamsburg City Limit to VA 143, despite signage says otherwise.

VA 162 is not posted inside the City of Williamsburg anywhere.  An interesting quirk is that the advance signage for VA 143 (where VA 162 ends) appears before the start of VA 162 EB.  Then between the 143 shields and the VA 143 intersection there is the sole VA 162 East shield.

I loved VA 163 when it was still around - posted solely in cutouts and white border shields...

Mapmikey

roadman65

Yeah I remember that VA 163 had white border shields at its junction with US 60 while signed N-S.  I used to get a kick out of how VA 163 went SOUTH from US 60 even though it headed north.

Then as far as the cutouts go, I remember Williamsburg used small cut outs before the large panel signs they have now.

Virginia was interesting with its old mix of black and white border shields, especially along US 13 on the Eastern Shore.  I even used to like around Onely and Accomack when you had US 13 Business and Bypass (yes VDOT used to sign mainlines as bypasses similar to NC now) intersected.   You had that one intersection and one interchange where you had three different shields with one for NB Business, SB Business, and a straight through Bypass shield.  At the point where the two alignments met at grade you would have the three shields pointing left, straight, and right while at the interchange you had one straight, and two to the right for the two different US 13B directions.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Takumi

Quote from: roadman65 on May 10, 2014, 08:59:41 AM
Another thing interesting I found is that Wikipedia states that VA 162 is only commissioned from the Williamsburg City Limit to VA 143, despite signage says otherwise.
No, it's only signed where it still exists. It was removed from Williamsburg in 1994.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.