News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-83 JFX BGS Upgrades

Started by talllguy, April 21, 2014, 12:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talllguy

I was driving southbound last night and noticed that DOT was installing a sign around Maryland Ave. Perhaps they're finally upgrading those button copy signs through that section.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: talllguy on April 21, 2014, 12:41:31 PM
I was driving southbound last night and noticed that DOT was installing a sign around Maryland Ave. Perhaps they're finally upgrading those button copy signs through that section.

I have seldom driven I-83 in Baltimore City, since I have always lived well south of there in eastern Montgomery County or southern Anne Arundel County - but I think a lot of the BGS panels were replaced back in the late 1980's, when a significant reconstruction of the Baltimore City part of the JFX took place.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Henry

I'll take a gamble and say that the same re-signing project that took place on I-95 is now taking place on the JFX! (new signs in Clearview font, and new gantries as well)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Alps

Quote from: talllguy on April 21, 2014, 12:41:31 PM
I was driving southbound last night and noticed that DOT was installing a sign around Maryland Ave. Perhaps they're finally destroying those beautiful, historic button copy signs through that section.
FTFY

talllguy

Quote from: Henry on April 21, 2014, 03:44:47 PM
I'll take a gamble and say that the same re-signing project that took place on I-95 is now taking place on the JFX! (new signs in Clearview font, and new gantries as well)

Maybe, but the JFX in the city is maintained by the City DOT, not SHA or MdTA, hence the extreme lack of maintenance. The entire elevated portion needs redecking and I've heard the city is trying to get the SHA to take over maintenance for that reason. Otherwise, that is why you still see those beautiful button copy signs, old style shields, and other non-standard quirks.

Doctor Whom

Quote from: talllguy on April 21, 2014, 08:20:27 PMMaybe, but the JFX in the city is maintained by the City DOT, not SHA or MdTA, hence the extreme lack of maintenance. The entire elevated portion needs redecking and I've heard the city is trying to get the SHA to take over maintenance for that reason. Otherwise, that is why you still see those beautiful button copy signs, old style shields, and other non-standard quirks.
But the fact that the city maintains so many of its own roads is the justification for giving the city such a ridiculously large percentage of state highway aid.  Where is that money going?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: talllguy on April 21, 2014, 08:20:27 PM

Maybe, but the JFX in the city is maintained by the City DOT, not SHA or MdTA, hence the extreme lack of maintenance. The entire elevated portion needs redecking and I've heard the city is trying to get the SHA to take over maintenance for that reason. Otherwise, that is why you still see those beautiful button copy signs, old style shields, and other non-standard quirks.

Perhaps it is time for the state Office of Legislative Audits to find out what Baltimore City does with the money that is so generously given to them by MDOT to maintain all city streets and highways (except those that are maintained by the MdTA (I-95, I-395, I-695 and I-895), which are in much better condition than almost anything maintained by Baltimore City)?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Doctor Whom on April 21, 2014, 09:30:04 PM
But the fact that the city maintains so many of its own roads is the justification for giving the city such a ridiculously large percentage of state highway aid.  Where is that money going?

For those scoring at home, by statute, Maryland gives 50% of its aid to local governments for highways, streets and roads to Baltimore off the top before the 23 counties get a dime. 

Henry

Quote from: talllguy on April 21, 2014, 08:20:27 PM
Quote from: Henry on April 21, 2014, 03:44:47 PM

I was told that the elevated section that leads to the southern end may be torn down and converted to an urban boulevard (presumably an extension of President Street), thus truncating the JFX further north. I presume that may be the section you were referring to. Like the rest of the highway, the old signs and Chicagoesque brown gantries are still there, none of which exist on I-95 anymore.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

sbeaver44

Quote from: talllguy on April 21, 2014, 08:20:27 PMand other non-standard quirks.
Quote from: Henry on April 22, 2014, 03:01:25 PM

I was told that the elevated section that leads to the southern end may be torn down and converted to an urban boulevard (presumably an extension of President Street), thus truncating the JFX further north. I presume that may be the section you were referring to. Like the rest of the highway, the old signs and Chicagoesque brown gantries are still there, none of which exist on I-95 anymore.

If they tear down the last few miles of I-83 and extend President Street, I will miss both the fun set of curves NB before Penn Station through the 40 zone, and the "CT-2" shield off the St. Paul St exit coming South (it's the sign on the ramp itself).

Alex

Quote from: sbeaver44 on May 02, 2014, 07:35:35 PM

Quote from: talllguy on April 21, 2014, 08:20:27 PMand other non-standard quirks.
Quote from: Henry on April 22, 2014, 03:01:25 PM

If they tear down the last few miles of I-83 and extend President Street, I will miss both the fun set of curves NB before Penn Station through the 40 zone, and the "CT-2" shield off the St. Paul St exit coming South (it's the sign on the ramp itself).

Glad to know its still there.

talllguy

I also like how in there there is a exit destination ahead advisory sign that uses 1/3.

VCB02FromRoblox

Those sign gantries and BGSes need to be replaced ASAP. This is what I'm talking about:

And these interchange ramps look kinda tightly squeezed together, am I right?

And the Exit 3 tab looks odd.

Henry

Quote from: VCB02FromRoblox on May 06, 2014, 02:01:38 PM
Those sign gantries and BGSes need to be replaced ASAP. This is what I'm talking about:

And these interchange ramps look kinda tightly squeezed together, am I right?

And the Exit 3 tab looks odd.
Just as I said, they look like something you'd find in Chicago.

talllguy

Speaking of replacing things, this one on the 29th St onramp was hit by an overheight vehicle in 2003 and still has not been fixed. I remember seeing it when I used to work there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.318636,-76.629413,3a,75y,215.24h,95.38t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sWtDTkQ_QDl30pa6A7H326Q!2e0

Laura

Oh dear please don't let them be replaced :(

VCB02FromRoblox

Only few BGS could benefit replacement. The Exits 7-a-b tab is faded badly. Also the Exit 3 tab seems odd.
Here's more weird exit tabs:

But the least they could do is place the signs on newer gantries. Like they did I-95.

talllguy

Quote from: VCB02FromRoblox on May 10, 2014, 05:05:24 PM

The odd thing about this one is that Exit 1 doesn't really exist in the typical sense. The arrow should point to the right and left lanes, not the middle, as the through traffic does not exit onto Fayette St.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.