News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJRoadfan

An interchange less then a mile north of an existing interchange spurs dramatic economic growth? Was access to this office park that cumbersome from VA-10?

74/171FAN

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 17, 2011, 12:20:11 AM
An interchange less then a mile north of an existing interchange spurs dramatic economic growth? Was access to this office park that cumbersome from VA-10?
I'll be heading that way in a couple hours when I go to work and yes the interchange was built for an office park.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Beltway

I have had that question at times, but the new interchange is a lot more direct to access the office/industrial park and to facilitate its future growth.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Maryland SHA and the MdTA are doing something similar on I-95 as part of the Md. 200 (ICC) Contract D/E project - completing new C-D roadways along I-95 and a new interchange to link the I-95 C-D roadways to Contee Road, the intent being to ease access for traffic to and from the new development of Konterra to I-95 and Md. 200.  It's less than a mile south of the Md. 198 (Exit 33) interchange and less than a mile north of the Md. 200 (Exit 31) interchange. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Takumi

In the field now. The signage is so weird I had to say something now.

Post Merge: November 19, 2016, 03:23:19 PM

Back home from the field. I haven't processed the photos yet but I do have some notes:
-The exit number is indeed 16. It and exit 15 (VA 10) are close enough that there's no break in the merge lanes between them.
All the 618 trailblazers (4 on each ramp) and both reassurance markers (one in each direction past the interchange) are ovals. Shields on the BGS's are standard circles, but for some reason the shields on the BGS just at the exit are all the way on the left of the BGS.
-The road names are present on the BGS's. Since it's currently a diamond, the BGS has both: Meadowville Technology Pkwy (eastbound) and River's Bend Blvd (westbound)
-The spacing in the 295 shields looks like they were considering adding Virginia to them, but ultimately did not.
-The work zone extends across the James River Bridge. The left lane was closed in both directions across it.

Edit: The blog update is here.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Beltway

Quote from: Takumi on December 17, 2011, 12:45:38 PM
Back home from the field. I haven't processed the photos yet but I do have some notes:
-The exit number is indeed 16. It and exit 15 (VA 10) are close enough that there's no break in the merge lanes between them.

1.3 miles along the I-295 centerline between VA-10 and VA-618.

0.8 mile continuous 4th auxiliary lanes between the two interchanges.

All the 618 trailblazers (4 on each ramp) and both reassurance markers (one in each direction past the interchange) are ovals. Shields on the BGS's are standard circles, but for some reason the shields on the BGS just at the exit are all the way on the left of the BGS.
-The road names are present on the BGS's. Since it's currently a diamond, the BGS has both: Meadowville Technology Pkwy (eastbound) and River's Bend Blvd (westbound)

The ultimate design accomodates 4 loop ramps.  Also, the parkway narrows to the pre-existing 2-lane bridge over I-295, and the ultimate design will provide a parallel 2-lane bridge.

There are 2 signalized intersections, to handle the left-turn movements to and from the parkway.

-The spacing in the 295 shields looks like they were considering adding Virginia to them, but ultimately did not.
-The work zone extends across the James River Bridge. The left lane was closed in both directions across it.

They are replacing the Varina-Enon Bridge bridge approach slabs and joints ... a separate project.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Takumi on December 17, 2011, 12:45:38 PM

Edit: The blog update is here.

I noticed the waypoint signs have punctuation that VDOT does not typically use - namely "Washington, D.C." and "Rocky Mount, N.C." instead of "Washington" and "Rocky Mount NC". That combined with the left-justified signs at the exit on both directions of I-295, and all the ovals, makes me wonder what happened here...that must have been one weird contractor they awarded this project to.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

Yeah, something told me there was going to be bad signage here. I will give them credit for the 295 shields, though...I absolutely loved those.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Beltway

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on December 18, 2011, 09:54:28 PM
I noticed the waypoint signs have punctuation that VDOT does not typically use - namely "Washington, D.C." and "Rocky Mount, N.C." instead of "Washington" and "Rocky Mount NC". That combined with the left-justified signs at the exit on both directions of I-295, and all the ovals, makes me wonder what happened here...that must have been one weird contractor they awarded this project to.

It may have been Chesterfield County that posted the signs, given that they shared in the funding of the project.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

MASTERNC

Looks like Chesterfield County is also using red turn arrows now.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: MASTERNC on December 19, 2011, 02:09:31 PM
Looks like Chesterfield County is also using red turn arrows now.

This isn't surprising; I've seen these in Henrico County as well...although Henrico County maintains its own secondary roads, so it's interesting to see them popping up in places where all the roads are under VDOT jurisdiction.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

1995hoo

I'm seeing more and more red arrows (most often for left turns) in Fairfax County.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

I wrote about the topic a couple months ago.  Because they're required in the 2009 MUTCD, they're now the VDOT standard.  Several locations where one can see them now.

NE2

Quote from: froggie on December 19, 2011, 09:56:21 PM
Because they're required in the 2009 MUTCD, they're now the VDOT standard.
Instead of red balls with 'left turn signal', I assume?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Takumi

The left turn only signals around here with the red ball usually have a sign with a sweeping left arrow above the word "only". Somehow that's something I've never paid attention to when I visit other parts of the state.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

froggie

QuoteInstead of red balls with 'left turn signal', I assume?

Just red balls, period.  VDOT standard had long been one signal head per lane, including turn lanes.  So they felt there was no need for the "left turn signal" sign.

Beltway

County hopes I-295 interchange will bring tenants to Meadowville park
http://www.chesterfieldobserver.com/news/2011-12-21/News/County_hopes_I295_interchange_will_bring_tenants_t.html

Looks like there are some immediate business improvements.

Amazon to open two local distribution centers, creating 1,350 jobs
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/2011/dec/22/tdmain01-amazon-to-open-two-local-distribution-cen-ar-1560928/

Quotes:

Amazon, based in Seattle, plans to invest $85 million to open a 1 million-square-foot fulfillment center in Meadowville Technology Park in eastern Chesterfield. That site would employ about 1,000 people.

In Dinwiddie, the company plans to invest $50 million to open a center in the Dinwiddie Commerce Park that would employ about 350 people.

The I-95 Walthall interchange, Exit 58, was greatly expanded in the late 1990s, for assisting in light industrial development in that part of Chesterfield County.  Today there are at least 30 major businesses just to the east of that interchange, built since then.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Had to head over to Annandale this morning and spotted the first of the advance signs for the Beltway HOT lanes propped up on the left side of the road as I was heading west out of the Springfield Interchange. I assume the reason the left sign is higher relative to the gantry is that it looks like it will be posted with that particular sign over the yet-to-open ramp coming from the Shirley Highway express lanes.

Interesting to see no mention of the "HO" aspect of "HOT" on these signs, so presumably there will be another sign explaining that part.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: froggie on December 20, 2011, 06:46:42 AM
Just red balls, period.  VDOT standard had long been one signal head per lane, including turn lanes.  So they felt there was no need for the "left turn signal" sign.

Carl D. Silver Parkway at VA-3 had red arrow turn signals as far back as 2007 (might have been there forever, that was my first time driving in VA), so they were installing them at some intersections before the 2009 MUTCD changes.

froggie

IIRC, that location is (barely) within the Fredericksburg city limits, so it would have been a city installation, not a VDOT installation.  The independent cities are not fully beholden to VDOT when it comes to traffic control devices.  For example, both Norfolk and Virginia Beach have been using red left arrows for over 10 years.

74/171FAN

The new signal on VA 10 at Old Stage Rd(SR 732) just near I-95 as a result of the widening project in the area has the red ball instead of a red arrow.  It was installed as of November but maybe it has to do with leftover stock???
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Takumi

Yeah, I noticed that too. To me, the most interesting part of Old Stage is that it briefly has something similar to a suicide lane, with two lanes in one direction and a broken yellow line.

(edited to add pic)

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on December 31, 2011, 06:46:35 AM
IIRC, that location is (barely) within the Fredericksburg city limits, so it would have been a city installation, not a VDOT installation.  The independent cities are not fully beholden to VDOT when it comes to traffic control devices.  For example, both Norfolk and Virginia Beach have been using red left arrows for over 10 years.

Adam, that's correct on all counts.  In Northern Virginia, I have long observed that the incorporated cities and towns, which usually maintain everything within their limits save for some freeways and expressways, don't always comply with VDOT's way of doing things.  Falls Church, Alexandria, (the City of) Fairfax, Vienna, Herndon and Leesburg all design their signals in ways that don't look like VDOT installations.  Especially Alexandria

Even Arlington County, which maintains its secondary system (while VDOT maintains the numbered primary highways), seems to do some things in ways that do not always have the VDOT "look and feel."
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Adam Tuss of WTOP reports that the Beltway HOT lanes are getting a name change. As foreshadowed by the photo I posted last week (see above), it seems they're going to be the "495 Express Lanes," similar to the "95 Express Lanes" down in Miami.

They're blaming the MUTCD.

Edited to add: The original version of that story contained MUTCD renderings of managed-lane signs. Transurban then saw the story and sent in some Beltway-specific renderings and the story has been updated.

1995hoo

Following up on my last comment:

The new website for the Beltway project is now operative. Parts of this duplicate what was on the old site, including some of the videos; parts of it are new, especially the parts showing renderings of the signage.

I found myself thinking the other day that the new lanes could almost be regarded, from a practical standpoint, as being akin to a new separate road within the Beltway footprint. That is, it's not going to be like I-270 where you can move back and forth between "local" and "express": Once you enter what are now being called the "Express Lanes," you won't be able to move back into the local lanes unless you go all the way to the other end, and you will not have access to all the same exits you would in the local lanes. (For example, if I were driving from Van Dorn Street and I entered the Express Lanes, my first opportunity to exit would be at the new US-29 exit near Merrifield.) The new website notes that there will be a $1000 fine for anyone caught cutting through the plastic bollards that will separate the Express and local lanes, but I have no doubt–given the overwhelming public ignorance about how this project will work and the unwillingness of many drivers to learn about it–that there will be plenty of squawking from people who don't understand it. Too bad. As I've said before, it looks to me as though Fluor and Transurban are going out of their way to make the signs amply clear.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.