News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois 2013-2014 Official Highway Map

Started by Lyon Wonder, August 13, 2013, 04:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyon Wonder

Brandon

It took long enough.  We're halfway to 2014 already.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Brandon on August 13, 2013, 04:44:47 PM
It took long enough.  We're halfway to 2014 already.

Let's be honest here...the need to produce these quickly has pretty much been sapped by the internet and GPS.  I'm sure it's not their highest priority. 

triplemultiplex

Just looking at the front side with the state map on it...

Is it just the pdf version that has all this crashing type and symbols running into each other?  I'm looking at a hard copy of the '11-'12 and it doesn't have those issues.  It seems like there's a problem with the font on the text labeling cities.

Ooh, what the hell happened to that newer segment of I-355?  Seems like only one of the three lines one needs to create that expressway/tollway/freeway look is showing up.  Whoops.

Someone should tell IDOT that US 20's bypass of Freeport is a freeway.

Didn't know about that Ft. Madison, IA US 61 bypass.  Sure enough.

Why doesn't US 136 follow the IL 336 expressway around Colchester?  Not really a topic about this map, but still.

Heh, no I-41 yet. :lol

That's what took Illinois so long apparently; busy making their state highway map worse. :/
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Revive 755

And now for a long winded listing of what the new map has and does not have:

Front of Map

* Does not show construction of the US 34 bypass of Biggsville

* The map show the US 51 Assumption Bypass as under construction, it has been open for quite a while.

* Does not show construction for widening US 51 between Assumption and Pana

* Does show work on IL 29 around Edinburg

* Does show the construction on US 67 west of Jacksonville

* Shows IL 255 open to IL 111/IL 267, does not show any construction on US 67 north of IL 255

* Does not show any of the exit numbers on the tolled section of I-88

Front Side, Items in Adjoining States

* Show I-69 east of I-24 in Kentucky

* Only shows the I-69 extension open in Indiana from I-64 to IN 68, does not show any construction beyond IN 68

* Shows the MO 141 extension, but not as a divided highway

* There's an interchange shown on MO 94 where Phase 2 of the Page Avenue Extension ended, but MO 94 and MO 364 are otherwise shown only as a divided highway instead of a full freeway

* Does show the bypass of Burlington, WI

Back of Map

* Only shows a half diamond interchange for I-90 at IL 47, not the partial cloverleaf currently under construction

* Does not show any of the Elign O'Hare corridor as pending construction

* Still has a phantom ramp for WB US 14 at IL 68

* Does show that Business 51 in Decatur has been decommissioned

* Kind of shows the reconfiguartion of I-57 at IL 50 in Kankakee, though there's a doubling of the SB exit ramp

* Does show the reroute of US 24 in Peoria

* Does show the new I-70 bridge under construction in St. Louis

Back of Map, Items in Other States

* Shows IN 912 being completely open

* Shows US 40 at US 61-67 in Missouri as a cloverleaf instead of a SPUI

* Shows US 40 at Brentwood Boulevard in Missouri as a full cloverleaf still.  It's also missing the ramps to/from I-170, but does show the north frontage road through the area

* Does show the DDI at I-270 and Dorsett Road

* Does not show the newer NB I-270 to WB MO 364 ramp

* Does not show Route H, MO 367, or MO 115 in St. Louis City

Lyon Wonder

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 13, 2013, 09:05:07 PM

Is it just the pdf version that has all this crashing type and symbols running into each other?  I'm looking at a hard copy of the '11-'12 and it doesn't have those issues.  It seems like there's a problem with the font on the text labeling cities.

Looks like they decided to use larger font sizes for town and city names.

Though I agree the new IDOT state map is sloppy and needs to be revised.

hobsini2

On a brighter note, they did add an exit to the front for Lisbon Rd on I-80.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Brandon

Quote from: hobsini2 on August 14, 2013, 10:51:57 PM
On a brighter note, they did add an exit to the front for Lisbon Rd on I-80.

That's Brisbin Road (Exit 116).

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

iowahighways

It may be due to the use of embedded text in the PDF file. Iowa does the same thing -- they use embedded text so users can search for place names by using Adobe Reader's "search" feature. That makes the fonts look different than what is on the printed map. Here's the Iowa DOT's explanation.

Still... talk about ugly.

Didn't know about that Ft. Madison, IA US 61 bypass.  Sure enough.

It opened in November 2011.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

hobsini2

Brandon, I always mix up Lisbon Rd with Brisbin Rd. IDK why. lol
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Brandon

Quote from: hobsini2 on August 18, 2013, 03:08:40 PM
Brandon, I always mix up Lisbon Rd with Brisbin Rd. IDK why. lol

Heh, they do rhyme.  :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.