News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What other online communities AARoadsters participate in?

Started by jon daly, July 24, 2018, 08:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

About 20 years ago, I was just playing around with a search engine and stumbled upon a forum where people were childishly fighting and arguing about gum. It was one of the most hilarious things I ever saw on the Internet. That forum has been replaced by others many times since then, and the exact same people are still arguing about the exact same things 20 years later.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

abefroman329

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 30, 2018, 11:08:59 PM
I use reddit, but not much posting. I have a facebook and instagram but I don't use it much. I am a member of several other online forums but I'm not active in any of them.
Most of what I know about reddit is its more odious subfora, so it's always a pleasant surprise when I find a thread full of people being genuinely helpful and, well, not odious.

Once I was googling info on obtaining cash from ATMs in Colombia, and found a thread on a forum that was really helpful, and it turned out to be a forum for men seeking out mail-order brides.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bandit957 on December 31, 2018, 09:58:12 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 24, 2018, 10:09:07 AM
Road-wise, I read a number of Facebook groups. Plus I still subscribe to the Roadgeek group on Yahoo and I do still read MTR.

Does ANYONE still use MTR?

QuoteAnd I'm a member of BipRoads, which seemingly is permanently defunct.

BipRoads was hacked.
When I go to MTR, there are sporadic posts but nothing really road related.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

None anymore.  One forum sucks enough time out of my life, I don't need more.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Buck87

A local area high school sports forum, an Ohio State fan forum, and my hometown's facebook group

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on December 31, 2018, 09:58:12 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 24, 2018, 10:09:07 AM
Road-wise, I read a number of Facebook groups. Plus I still subscribe to the Roadgeek group on Yahoo and I do still read MTR.

Does ANYONE still use MTR?

I still visit it on a daily basis. There may be three or four posts a week.

Usenet in general seems to be dead. The traffic in the alt.binaries.sounds hierarchy has really slacked off. It used to be there would be hundreds of MP3s posted there every day. Now, days will pass between postings of albums.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

Usenet was like a late '90s version of Facebook, only 1,000 times as bad.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 30, 2018, 11:08:59 PM
I use reddit, but not much posting. I have a facebook and instagram but I don't use it much. I am a member of several other online forums but I'm not active in any of them.
This is outdated. I use Instagram a ton more now. I use Reddit too sporadically. I am a member of some other forums, with alternatehistory.com being the one I use the most.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kkt

Quote from: bandit957 on December 31, 2018, 03:11:57 PM
Usenet was like a late '90s version of Facebook, only 1,000 times as bad.

I don't think so.  At least their reason for existence wasn't tracking your every click so they could sell the information.

Online communities:
CloudyNights, an astronomy forum
Omega Forum, about mechanical watches
The user comments sections of the Washington Post
Trek BBS's Star Trek Deep Space 9 forum
the forum for Downton Abbey but it's pretty much dead now.  Maybe it'll get busier when the next movie is being made.

Used to be active in Usenet and some BBSs and some communities that worked over email lists.  They seem to have trouble staying the right size:  big enough that there's something to read, but not so big that it's overwhelming trying to keep up.

kevinb1994

Quote from: stridentweasel on May 02, 2021, 10:39:01 AM
Currently:

• MeetFighters (18+ only for understandable reasons, although it's not necessarily that, and it's really the only way I know of to participate in a sport that I never took the chance to try when I was a kid.)
  • Instagram, because I like to post selfies of my fugly self
  • Facebook because I'm a masochist.  Actually, I hate Facebook, but I have a lot of friends and family members who use it, so I occasionally pop in there for that reason.  I don't like to give out my real name in most platforms, so if you really want to be my Facebook friend then DM me, but I barely post anything, so I'm not a good Facebook friend.
  • Twitter (I list my account as 18+ because some of the stuff I like and/or share there is a bit mature-themed/risque without actually being p0rn).  The political content quickly becomes really hard to take, and that's probably all I need to say about that without going into off-topic political views.  I have a ton of friends and acquaintances who use it, so it can be fun so long as I can keep myself away from the 24/7 political back-and-forth.
  • The online furry community and many of its various websites, if that wasn't already obvious.
Others:

• I tried SkyscraperCity but couldn't really stay interested.
  • I've been mildly active on the Sonic Retro Forums, because I've been a Sonic the Hedgehog fan since 1992.  But--  I can't quite obsess over Sonic the Hedgehog the same way I can over roads, so I can't really keep up with most of the fans there.
  • DeviantArt.  When I was trying to draw regularly, I would post there.  I haven't been able to stay interested in making art, however, so now my account just kind of sits there.
  • I have a YouTube channel where I've posted a few videos from my Cities: Skylines games, and that's it so far.  If I ever get back into music, I might post that there, too, but we'll see.
I've used DeviantArt but not recently, I guess we're similar on that front. I still use YouTube, but not for posting anything (already tried my hand at that).

oh god I remember being Sonic trash

But nowadays I am more into other fandoms (more on that in a minute). I had been knee deep into the world of photography as a way to get away from being such. Then it took a friend from school to lure me back into trashiness (this time, the Homestuck fandom)...but then that wore off again. I'm still a cosplayer/occasional photographer, but I just recently managed to let that wear off because of a lack of ideas. I, considering cosplaying again soon, though. Just needed that hiatus that wouldn't have happened for years.

Twitter (and, to an extent, Facebook-I'd hate to lump Instagram into this, but they are now owned by FB) are the root of all evil today (with apologies to Pink Floyd/Roger Waters).

WillWeaverRVA

I used to be on A LOT of forums and was a Wikipedia administrator for a couple of years (2006-08), but nowadays the only forms I'm a regular on are this one, VCU Ram Nation (a VCU sports fan forum), and Pentax Forums. I am active on a number of Facebook groups and admin quite a few, including Pacific Typhoon Season (which has about 35,000 active members).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

In_Correct

Quote from: jon daly on July 24, 2018, 08:30:13 AM
I have spent some time lately at railroad.net and Old Gas, because my roadgeekdom intersects with railroads and Petroliana. Old Gas is less active than here, but compared to Railroad.net it's high velocity! Are there any other transportation related sites that you guys like or discuss things on? I'm thinking of joining RMCA and was wondering if they have a board. Maps seem to be the central focus of my interest.

As far as non-road topics go, I spent a lot of time at Baseball Think Factory and its offshoots. But a lot of the discussions there have lost their freshness. What kept me hanging on there was I knew some of the guys and became IRL friends with them.

I do not participate in any thing that much.

As for the road, rail, travel, and equivalent Forums, I am currently familiar with only AARoads. I am not against joining and participating in other sites, but I prioritize based on need.

I hate road travelling, such as how the roads are inadequately marked good enough to be seen in low visibility situations such as rain, or how many travelers can be grouchy and pass at shoulders, ... but am amazed at the other times when an entire high way more or less shuts down be cause of endless peoples trying to enter the ramp and other peoples trying to let them enter the highway, but are unable to merge ... so they slow down and even stop. I am also nervous around Numerous Bicycles, especially at night, as they approach me with their lights ... they look as Alien Space Craft. Another alarming moment is when a 4 lane highway traffic included this giant grinding machine which took up both lanes of the highway. The oversized load driver wanted to go fast. Fortunately my exit was near and the exit ramp was free. Perhaps if the highway was 6 lanes instead ??

And so I check often AARoads for Construction Updates, hoping for Road Upgrades.

There are many other topics on AARoads. I occasionally participate in them also.

Another reason why I visit AARoads often is the use of Simple Machines Forum, which does what it needs to do, and nothing annoying.

I will try to mention other sites, but there is not much point to list them, as they are very annoying.

I will try.

There is Fandom:

I like to include all the information. How ever, the Source Editor is needlessly complex.

There is Reddit:

Reddit is silly. I prefer Old Reddit, but I am participating in a criticizing and reviews, but am unable to upload images. ... Imgur is silly. ... So that means I have to use the silly New Reddit. It is annoying and takes too much space. I have to click many times to read what people type. It is also easier and relaxing that people generally do not reply to comments; They simply vote.

There is The Slums Of Elwood.

I was a supporter of Amiga / Amiga OS, MorphOS, and AROS, but I have not participated recently be cause there is little point in participating in Amiga / Amiga OS, MorphOS does not release much desired features such as the ability to use Sleep Mode and Hibernate Mode. ( The complete power off, despite being instant, is not at all in the slightest a good selling point. ) AROS have very mild interest to natively support The ARM Processor, but then there is RISC OS. ... And I have yet to hear from them about approval to create account at RISC OS message boards. How ever, my favourite Operating System is RISC OS. Even with my other Operating Systems such as Windows, I try to make it look as ancient as possible. ... For Example: Installing the Open G.L. Screen Savers including but not limited to 3D Maze.

Many time is spent on You Tube and Daily Motion both watching and uploading videos.

Minimal time is spent on Typical Social Media. ... And if it requires A Smart Phone App, an often very bulky space consuming app also, For Get It. So actually I am not sure how many there are, probably hundreds, or even thousands ... but I do not need them. They are silly.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

JayhawkCO

FlyerTalk
Boardgamegeek
Hammockforums (for hammock camping)
I was very active on Bronco6g.com as someone who had pre-ordered a '21 Bronco, but my other car crapped out more quickly than I thought it would so I had to go another direction

Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.