News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Downstate Illinois Notes

Started by 3467, September 26, 2022, 08:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Powell

Quote from: edwaleni on May 01, 2023, 09:46:50 PM
The Illinois Notes thread shows that IDOT is going to spend $95 million into a total redesign and construction at East Court.
Should be an interesting design.
It's a single point urban interchange (SPUI), freeway over the crossroad, and it requires a little eastern shift in the mainline, but the ramps etc. will fit without any demolition of nearby buildings (except a few backyard sheds along the west side of I-57) or incursion into the cemetery except for a small temporary easement to put in a trail along the south side of IL 17. I know the guy who designed it, working with him on another project in western IL now.

Take a look here to see the project study materials.
https://idot.illinois.gov/projects/i57-interchange-at-il17

edwaleni

Quote from: Rick Powell on May 01, 2023, 11:11:05 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on May 01, 2023, 09:46:50 PM
The Illinois Notes thread shows that IDOT is going to spend $95 million into a total redesign and construction at East Court.
Should be an interesting design.
It's a single point urban interchange (SPUI), freeway over the crossroad, and it requires a little eastern shift in the mainline, but the ramps etc. will fit without any demolition of nearby buildings (except a few backyard sheds along the west side of I-57) or incursion into the cemetery except for a small temporary easement to put in a trail along the south side of IL 17. I know the guy who designed it, working with him on another project in western IL now.

Take a look here to see the project study materials.
https://idot.illinois.gov/projects/i57-interchange-at-il17

Thanks, I took a look, interesting layout for the confined space.

I did find an error in the presentation. The railroad north of the work area is listed as "CSX Railroad". It's really the Norfolk Southern. It's what was known as the "Kankakee Belt" as it used to allow the New York Central to reach Hennepin, Illinois  and the CB&Q at Ladd, Illinois (and a Gypsum Mine in Dupue with CRI&P) without going through Chicago (hence the belt name). Still goes to Hennepin but the bridge over the Illinois River was removed to reach Ladd. It went to Conrail and then to NS after they split in two.

Rick Powell

IDOT's new Professional Transportation Bulletin came out with an interesting project; apparently they are looking to plan for the US 60/62 Mississippi River bridge at Cairo's eventual closure, and considering not replacing it, relying on the upstream I-57 crossing to serve the traffic that is currently using the 60/62 bridge.

To quote, "Phase I engineering services are required to prepare a Combined Design Report and Environmental Assessment (EA) for the US 60/62 Bridge End-of-Life Plan and bridge removal. We desire to develop a plan to determine what steps would be required to permanently close the bridge as well as what additional work and funds would be required to keep it in operation in the interim period."

Life in Paradise

Quote from: Rick Powell on May 05, 2023, 12:49:02 PM
IDOT's new Professional Transportation Bulletin came out with an interesting project; apparently they are looking to plan for the US 60/62 Mississippi River bridge at Cairo's eventual closure, and considering not replacing it, relying on the upstream I-57 crossing to serve the traffic that is currently using the 60/62 bridge.

To quote, "Phase I engineering services are required to prepare a Combined Design Report and Environmental Assessment (EA) for the US 60/62 Bridge End-of-Life Plan and bridge removal. We desire to develop a plan to determine what steps would be required to permanently close the bridge as well as what additional work and funds would be required to keep it in operation in the interim period."
Based upon the number of people most likely served by that bridge, I can see why they are considering not replacing it.  It's not an extreme distance.  Cairo is certainly not the destination that it used to be to the area.  There were most likely over 10,000 residents in Cairo when the bridge was built; the population is now about 1600.

edwaleni

That is an interesting development.

The reason the 2 bridges were built was to eliminate a 3 way ferry that had stops at Cairo, Wickliffe and where the old US-62 ended at the Mississippi River (now CR-205).

If memory serves that ferry sunk approaching Cairo and an outcry went out thereafter to have the bridges built. Of course the economic conditions of the area have changed dramatically since that ferry sunk in 1917 or 1918. (I believe).

All things considered it would get Illinois out of the local bridge business and probably increase auto traffic through downtown Cairo.

If people in Missouri complain, Illinois could tell them to build their own bridge to Wickliffe from Wilson City and connect it to US-51 or something farther south.

Revive 755

There are also entries in the current PTB for studying possible replacement of the Centennial Bridge at Quad Cities and Phase 2 plans for 6-laning Sixth Street in Springfield from I-55 northward to Stanford Avenue.

mvak36

Quote from: Rick Powell on May 05, 2023, 12:49:02 PM

So if they do this, would US60 and US62 be routed onto I-57 and then follow US51 through Cairo? I guess it would be a win-win for both MO and IL because it's one less major river bridge they have to maintain.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

ilpt4u

Quote from: mvak36 on May 08, 2023, 09:42:13 AM
So if they do this, would US60 and US62 be routed onto I-57 and then follow US51 through Cairo? I guess it would be a win-win for both MO and IL because it's one less major river bridge they have to maintain.
That would be the most sensible reroute. The other possibility would be one or both down to the Hickman Ferry, but that seems much less likely and much further out of the way

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 08, 2023, 02:00:14 PM
That would be the most sensible reroute. The other possibility would be one or both down to the Hickman Ferry, but that seems much less likely and much further out of the way

The Phillips 66 station just south of that bridge probably goes out of business.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

edwaleni

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on May 08, 2023, 02:18:39 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on May 08, 2023, 02:00:14 PM

The Phillips 66 station just south of that bridge probably goes out of business.

Yes. They make a killing due to high fuel and sin taxes in Illinois. They all come over to fill up, smoke up and drink up.

A Wikipedia article said most of the supplemental freeway system was not built. I decided to do the math for the downstate segments
Part of Interstate Highway system 498.17
Freeway 77
4 lane expressway 433.6
Other 187
2lane 391
I did each by corridor.

Other . I included routes that kept 4 lane ROW mostly US 50. I included routes that have or will have wide shoulders for slow moving ...farm equipment.
Also not many 2lane segments have been improved with the 3 foot shoulders.

It's hard to get an exact number because corridors sometimes changed a lot like the 39 corridor. I left out Chicago area. It had about 500 miles in the various plans of the early sixties .

I did include the Route 1corridor even though someone from IDOT  said it was sure nice of Indiana to build that. Except for the state line issue 41 is definitely in that corridor and the EPA said that in the early 70s corridor study.

ilpt4u

The SW Connector is still alive and would be one of the corridors to develop, but it is not being planned as a Freeway between Murphysboro and Columbia, but it is very much alive

Yes it is. I credited at least the Murpheysboro to Pickneyville  segment as expressway . Kirk Brown is running several options through the software to get something. He is doing the same with 67 . So I counted those Inn the expressway category.

Because the volumes are low and the studies are stale 67 north of that is in problem Dist 6 is going to start with wife shoulders . I put those in the other. Shoulders and passing lanes do not have to go through the Data Dependent tool.

Rick Powell

Quote from: 3467 on May 28, 2023, 05:01:04 PM
A Wikipedia article said most of the supplemental freeway system was not built. I decided to do the math for the downstate segments
Part of Interstate Highway system 498.17
Freeway 77
4 lane expressway 433.6
Other 187
2lane 391
I did each by corridor.

So you are basically saying that, downstate, about 75% of the original Supplemental Freeway network got some type of improvement beyond "doing nothing"? And more than 63% got 4 lanes either as an expressway, non-interstate freeway or interstate?

skluth

Illinois had lots of crazy plans for freeways pre-Arab Oil Embargo. I remember driving up IL 26 from Freeport to Monroe in the late 80's and seeing an old, rusty sign marking it as a future freeway corridor. There is nowhere near the traffic to justify making it four lanes. I remember the seeing similar signs along IL 29 between Peoria and Springfield when my family vacationed there in the late 60s. I don't put too much stock in old plans that criss-crossed many states with freeways when everyone was thinking like Robert Moses and it was easy to placate the voters with a vague promise of a future freeway. I think Wisconsin's expressway network is a better concept (even if there are some questionable gaps like US 10 east of Point), building rural four lane highways with some freeway segments and interchanges with the potential of being a freeway in the future. It seems like Illinois did upgrade most of its designated future freeways with something better, just in a more haphazard fashion.

Yes it's even higher if you consider US41 part of the Eastern Corridor.

I found out what those old freeway signs were in old annual reports. It started in the 40s  and it meant IDOT was going to control access to those roads. That is don't add a driveway without our permission. Now they do that with all their routes is my understanding.

I did leave out the corridor North of Peoria because it was only added after the 180 circus and I used the short direct corridor for US 30.
That number will go down because they seem to be committed to at least shoulders and more passing lanes to 20 30 and 67 . I also did assume eventual completions of 67 south of Jacksonville and 127 south of Pickneyville.This are based on the DDT and the commitment of the District Engineer to put   it though until he gets it.
Otherwise I assume no further work.

edwaleni

Quote from: skluth on May 29, 2023, 12:24:36 PM
Illinois had lots of crazy plans for freeways pre-Arab Oil Embargo. I remember driving up IL 26 from Freeport to Monroe in the late 80's and seeing an old, rusty sign marking it as a future freeway corridor. There is nowhere near the traffic to justify making it four lanes. I remember the seeing similar signs along IL 29 between Peoria and Springfield when my family vacationed there in the late 60s. I don't put too much stock in old plans that criss-crossed many states with freeways when everyone was thinking like Robert Moses and it was easy to placate the voters with a vague promise of a future freeway. I think Wisconsin's expressway network is a better concept (even if there are some questionable gaps like US 10 east of Point), building rural four lane highways with some freeway segments and interchanges with the potential of being a freeway in the future. It seems like Illinois did upgrade most of its designated future freeways with something better, just in a more haphazard fashion.

Freeway = DOT controls who can build out access to said road (ie: driveways)
Expressway = A controlled access road that expressly skips intersections with low volume roads. (county roads)

A freeway does not have to be 4 lanes but can be. Access can be controlled via signal or ramp
An expressway has no signalling and uses ramps or other low speeds access and merge methods to reach the highway. Can be 2 lane or 4 lane.

Freeways are not tolled, hence "free" way, But expressways can be tolled.

Youre Freeport to Monroe example simply means IDOT was controlling who and what driveways or roads could connect to the route in that section.

I don't think it was related to IL 26 north of Freeport. But the original 39 corridor was along IL 2 IL 26 IL 89 and IL 121 to Decatur. The Peoria Lincoln segment became I 155 though Illinois tried for 37 . Perhaps a tribute to the original corridor. That corridor was included in the 70s corridor study.
On route 1 I ended it at 17 to keep it downstate and because there is only a 2 mile difference to the Ryan junction and it's shorter to the tri state.
IL 130 to 57 was a corridor considered . It's about the same distance from where it crosses 64.

From Danville US 41 adds 8 miles. From Lawerence Ville it's about 7. .That overstates it because the freeway would have hugged the border and probably knocked that number down a couple of miles.

An example for Rick Powell.IL 1old FAP 411 corridor. The existing 1is close in length about 281 miles
51 4 lane . Mostly from 57 to 141 the Danville 4 lane undivided and the IL 17 back to 57.
Other he is almost all 3 lane or wide enough to be 3or more through town lanes . That is 15 miles.
If I counted upgrades 2 lane with 3 ft. Shoulders paved and lack of curves et. It looks about 109 miles have been though 3 r at some time.
These are the criteria I used in all the corridors .
I did not include 3 r in the 2 lane except just now on 1.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: skluth on May 29, 2023, 12:24:36 PM
Could the IL-29 corridor have been an early thought for what became I-155 just a few miles away?  That started in the early 70s and was completed in the early 90s.

According to the EIS 121 155 predates the first freeway map of 1965.
72 and 39 show up on the large Interregional  highway map.
Parts of US 20 and US 50 do too. The 50 Corridor was the 64 corridor and switched in 1961 . But IDOT  kept working on some sort of improved road ..and still is with the Lebanon bypass.

edwaleni

Quote from: 3467 on May 29, 2023, 03:21:40 PM
IL 130 to 57 was a corridor considered . It's about the same distance from where it crosses 64.

Are you talking about Grayville to Effingham via IL-33 @ Newton to reach I-57?

Becuase IL-130 is very much a secondary from Newton to Urbana and used to end in downtown Urbana until IDOT connected it to I-74 in the early 80's.

Yes. Though that corridor is different from their western corridor . Their started at Norris city and ended at Olney. . That was the limit of this study . The only one of 2 I ever found on the 1corridor. The other was the Danville bypass.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.