News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Towns that aren't referred to as their legal name

Started by index, January 10, 2023, 10:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog1979

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on April 30, 2023, 10:59:47 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 22, 2023, 11:32:53 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 22, 2023, 11:51:03 AM
Quote from: amroad17 on January 18, 2023, 01:58:49 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 18, 2023, 01:08:16 AM
Salt Lake City is sometimes referred to "Salt Lake"  on guide signs in both Nevada and Utah.
So, is it officially the City of Salt Lake or the City of Salt Lake City?  Just like it is not the City of New York City but the City of New York.

It is redundantly, and rather sillily if you want my view, officially named the City of Salt Lake City.

Ditto with Jersey City, NJ.  It's the City of Jersey City and so might be said of Kansas City both in KS and MO.

New York City is really the City of New York and is called NYC to avoid ambiguity between the state that uses the same exact name with it. Even for the state it's the State of New York despite being called New York State.

The most extreme version of this I know of is Orange, NJ, which is legally known as the City of Orange Township.

I believe it was originally a city but due to some federal funding quirk it was more advantageous to change to the Township form, creating the ridiculous name.

Michigan has two similar examples: the City of the Village of Clarkston and the City of the Village of Douglas.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on May 01, 2023, 12:01:39 AM
In NJ most town border signs were changed to present day Township, City, etc of name instead of name and then municipality.  For example previous signs on US 1 would say Entering Edison Township, but now says Entering Twp. Of Edison.  Even on I-78 entering Newark used to say Entering Newark which now states Entering City of Newark.

Because they were changed to their legal name.

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 01, 2023, 12:24:53 AM
In NJ most town border signs were changed to present day Township, City, etc of name instead of name and then municipality.  For example previous signs on US 1 would say Entering Edison Township, but now says Entering Twp. Of Edison.  Even on I-78 entering Newark used to say Entering Newark which now states Entering City of Newark.

So you're saying that the Orlando City Limit signs at the city's entry points in Florida are wrong.  The signs then should say " City of Orlando City Limit?"

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on May 01, 2023, 12:28:48 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 01, 2023, 12:24:53 AM

So you're saying that the Orlando City Limit signs at the city's entry points in Florida are wrong.  The signs then should say " City of Orlando City Limit?"

Dude...you said "IN NJ". You weren't referring to Florida.

roadman65

I understand where you’re coming from, as it’s the City of whatever in all cases and know for sure that city limits are a wrong but not desperate need to be corrected.  Yes NJ did decide to use proper form to state the names instead of before where the common unofficial reference was used.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not debating it if it sounds so.

Apparently one user before stated how people know that when referring to New York people know the difference between city and state after I pointed out to another one  user that New York City is not the official name like Kansas City ( or presumably Jersey City) is. It’s City of New York unlike Kansas City which is the City of Kansas City.

People  add city afterwards to avoid confusion with the state of the same name just as we also call the State of Washington, Washington State to avoid confusion with the city on the opposite end of the nation even though it’s not the State of Washington State.

The said user to made a point about New York, as I’m sure those in the Pacific Northwest will just say  “Washington” and 86 the description after the name as the DC city name is not a confusing issue in that corner of our nation.

It’s just the usual AA roads confusion here.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Roadman seems to be trying to find consistency when there just isn't any.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

7/8

The longest municipality name in Ontario is rarely used for obvious reasons: United Townships of Dysart, Dudley, Harcourt, Guilford, Harburn, Bruton, Havelock, Eyre and Clyde. Instead it's referred to as "Dysart et al", including its website: https://www.dysartetal.ca/en/index.aspx.

GaryV

Quote from: bulldog1979 on May 01, 2023, 12:03:30 AM

Michigan has two similar examples: the City of the Village of Clarkston and the City of the Village of Douglas.

Plus the Village of Mackinaw City.

robby2161

Here is a good one - the towns of Canaan and North Canaan, CT.  Referred to as "Canaan" or "Canaan Village", the CDP is actually within the town of North Canaan, which split off from the town of Canaan years ago.  And the town of Canaan is referred to by it's principal settlement, "Falls Village".  Post Office also considers each town by its common name.  So if you're in North Canaan, the address will be Canaan.  And if you're in Canaan it's Falls Village. 

TXtoNJ

Anyone mentioned Ark(ansas) City, Kansas yet?

Stephane Dumas

Thetford Mines, Quebec is often only referred as Thetford and the town of Asbestos is renamed Val-des-Sources but I think lots of older people will still refer it as Asbestos.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.