News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Has FL 616 in Tampa been decommissioned?

Started by Interstate275Fla, February 07, 2010, 08:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate275Fla

With the new Tampa International Airport interchange project just about wrapped up, I have noticed something confusing.  A series of signs directs motorists to Spruce Street, which is also known as FL 616, from the northbound Interstate 275 ramp coming from St. Petersburg.

However, on the FL 60 mainline FL 616 is not mentioned - instead, Spruce Street is also known as a Hillsborough County road and it is reflected on the overhead signage on the FL 60 west mainline approaching the airport.  However, on the FL 60 east mainline and the access road coming out of the airport Spruce Street is known as FL 616.

By the way, FL 616 is an extant section of FL 589 when it used to be part of Eisenhower Blvd. before the Veterans Expressway came in 1994.  FL 589 became FL Toll 589 and the section that consists of Spruce Street, Boy Scout Blvd and Columbus Drive all the way to Dale Mabry Hwy. is FL 616.

I wish I had some pictures to show you but I have been sidelined lately with a cold.

So, has the Florida DOT decommissioned FL 616 in Tampa and turned over maintenance of Spruce Street over to Hillsborough County, now that the TIA interchange project is just about done?

D-Dey65

Hmm. I think I'm going to have to e-mail FDOT #7 about this.

rickmastfan67

FL-616 still is shown in the GIS data for this month (February).

florida

The Federal Aid maps were updated on February 2nd and they still show SR 616 as being on the SHS.
So many roads...so little time.

D-Dey65

And Kevin Dunn of FDOT confirms it's still SR 616.

leifvanderwall

In my opinion , I think there are too many of these 3 digit state routes in the Tampa- St. Pete area. There is actually a SR 666 that is only 2 miles long.  and then you have SR 679 that is hardly even signed that goes to the Fort Desoto Park. To make matters worse : There are actually two 574s. One is SR 574 and the other 574 is listed as a county route and they both meet each other as well as run parallel to each other.

florida

That's how we like it in our urban areas ;) Anything considered a major connection link most likely gets state route status.

SR 666 used to be a leg of SR 699. SR 679's north-south portion used to be SR 693, and the U-shaped section was SR 699. And current SR 574 was SR 574A while current CR 574 was the original SR 574, then the numbers were switched, the more minor route was deleted to county maintenance, and that's how you get today's dual numbering.
So many roads...so little time.

D-Dey65

Quote from: leifvanderwall on May 03, 2010, 01:07:15 PMTo make matters worse : There are actually two 574s. One is SR 574 and the other 574 is listed as a county route and they both meet each other as well as run parallel to each other.
The County Road 574 should really be renamed County Road 574D, since there are other suffixed County Road 574's in Hillsborough and Polk Counties.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.