The annual "Are you working Thanksgiving?" thread (VI edition - 2018)

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, November 08, 2018, 07:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ce929wax

NASCAR can be interesting if there is an accident or a car catches on fire.  I like fire.

Note:  I do not wish for the drivers to be hurt in any way. 

thenetwork

Quote from: ce929wax on November 11, 2018, 02:57:39 PM
NASCAR can be interesting if there is an accident or a car catches on fire.  I like fire.

Note:  I do not wish for the drivers to be hurt in any way. 

NASCAR usually provides enough "white noise" to put me into a good afternoon nap, if I don't feel like watching the race that day.

And no, TENNIS is by far the WORST sport to watch.  Golf is enjoyable as they can keep switching the action around from hole to hole, and even if the action is "tape-dalayed" by a few minutes, it doesn't affect the overall flow of the game.

abefroman329

The worst "sport"  to watch on television is online poker. If you're limiting it to competitions that involve a degree of athleticism, probably UFC/MMA and the like.

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on November 10, 2018, 03:12:42 PM
NFL? What's that? The "No (American) Flag League?"

Haven't watched a down this year, except if a game's been on when I've been changing channels and I accidentally saw it. I used to be a big Bengals fan, but started watching NASCAR on Sunday afternoons more than 20 years ago and haven't gone back. I still hate the Cowboys, Redskins, 49ers, Browns, Steelers, Browns v 1.0 (Ravens), Titans (the former Oilers) and the Cheatriots, but have no use for the NFL these days for reasons that will be obvious to anyone who knows me. Haven't watched a Super Bowl since the the last time the Bengals were in it (1989?).
Want to know why Kentucky has no football team?

Then Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee and Illinois would all want one
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on November 10, 2018, 03:32:19 PM
Ah, NASCAR: The Only Sport More Boring than Soccer™

Uh.  Golf?

The only sports with more standing around doing nothing than golf are baseball and football.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

If I ever willingly watch soccer or golf, then there's something very wrong with me.

I love baseball, but haven't watched MLB since 1994 and never will again. As I've said many times, the strike ended it for me. The national anthem deal has pretty much done the same for me for NFL.

Thanksgiving TV does often feature the first seasonal airing of "A Christmas Story," so it has that going for it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on November 12, 2018, 02:19:52 PMThanksgiving TV does often feature the first seasonal airing of "A Christmas Story," so it has that going for it.
I don't really care about this now that I can just stream it on Amazon Prime whenever I want. I don't get TBS anyway.

jon daly

I work for a bank broker/dealer, so that means I get Thanksgiving Day off, but work a full day on Black Friday.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jon daly on November 12, 2018, 07:19:16 PM
I work for a bank broker/dealer, so that means I get Thanksgiving Day off, but work a full day on Black Friday.

Black Friday is a retarded "holiday" anyway.

kevinb1994

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on November 12, 2018, 07:28:20 PM

Steely Dan was right.

jon daly

Stock market has half a day, but the bank has a full day.

In a similar vein, the bank was closed today, but the stock market was open. I left early, but I still had to come in today.

I dig the Steely Dan reference, but the real Black Friday is two days before Easter.

kevinb1994

Quote from: jon daly on November 12, 2018, 07:42:12 PM

In a similar vein, the bank was closed today, but the stock market was open. I left early, but I still had to come in today.

I dig the Steely Dan reference, but the real Black Friday is two days before Easter.

I forgot that Black Friday is another name for Good Friday.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 12, 2018, 06:54:50 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 12, 2018, 02:19:52 PMThanksgiving TV does often feature the first seasonal airing of "A Christmas Story," so it has that going for it.
I don't really care about this now that I can just stream it on Amazon Prime whenever I want. I don't get TBS anyway.

I don't have live TV at all (which is ironic, considering I work for a cable company), so waiting for live shows is just not something I do anymore.  The only times we break out the rabbit ears and $1 Wal-Mart digital box (remember those?) are when there's a tornado coming or when the Olympics are on.

Quote from: kevinb1994 on November 12, 2018, 07:53:54 PM
Quote from: jon daly on November 12, 2018, 07:42:12 PM

I forgot that Black Friday is another name for Good Friday.

Is it really, though?  I grew up in a liturgical church, and my father is a pastor, yet I've never heard Good Friday referred to as Black Friday except in error.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jon daly

It's been about 50 years since most of the Roman Catholics called it that. Maybe some traditionalists who go to ad orientum Latin Mass use the term. I don't know.  I'm also not sure about the Orthodox or Protestant churches.

hotdogPi

I was trying to find day-by-day historical Dow Jones data, specifically 10/25/1929 and 11/01/1929. It doesn't seem like either of them can be called "Black Friday". From what I can tell, 10/25 went down very little compared to 10/24 (Black Thursday) and 10/29 (Black Tuesday), and 11/01 went up, although it was very hard to find what I was looking for.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Hurricane Rex

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Henry

I'm off all week, so I'll be spending the holiday in Chicago...again!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

CNGL-Leudimin

It's now clear that Big Rig Steve will be working Thanksgiving. Being a trucker it would be strange for him not doing so. He has also rolled past where the Hypotenuse would begin twice in the last few weeks.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

US71

Quote from: 1 on November 12, 2018, 08:16:09 PM
I was trying to find day-by-day historical Dow Jones data, specifically 10/25/1929 and 11/01/1929. It doesn't seem like either of them can be called "Black Friday". From what I can tell, 10/25 went down very little compared to 10/24 (Black Thursday) and 10/29 (Black Tuesday), and 11/01 went up, although it was very hard to find what I was looking for.

Call it Green Friday since we're supposed to give all our green money to Walmart and JCPenney  ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MikeTheActuary

Even though I live in the US, I work for a Canadian company.  To keep things simple with my team, I follow Québec's holiday schedule.

I'm working Thursday and Friday of this week, but I got a three-day weekend back in October.

NWI_Irish96

As a Federal employee I'm always off on Thanksgiving.  My wife is a respiratory therapist at a hospital and her shift is 10p - 630a.  She has to work at least one of Thanksgiving eve/morning, Christmas eve/morning or New Year's eve/morning.  She chose Thanksgiving. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Rothman

My wife works for an insurance company and she somehow managed to get the day after Turkey Day off as a holiday.  How generous of them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Quote from: Rothman on November 21, 2018, 02:14:30 PM
My wife works for an insurance company and she somehow managed to get the day after Turkey Day off as a holiday.  How generous of them.
It is - I haven't worked for a company that considered Black Friday a holiday in 7 years.

And it gets worse - a friend of mine works in the law department of a prescription drug insurance company, and since their pharmacies are open 365 days in a year, no one in the company gets any holidays (presumably they compensate for this by giving more PTO than their employees might receive otherwise, but still).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.