Started by Brandon, December 26, 2013, 05:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Found this in North Little Rock:

No Left Turn :banghead:

GPS: Turn left onto E 22nd St.

"But, I- I can't turn left..."

GPS: Turn left damnit!
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Verlanka

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on April 03, 2019, 06:33:46 PM
Found this in North Little Rock:

No Left Turn :banghead:

GPS: Turn left onto E 22nd St.

"But, I- I can't turn left..."

GPS: Turn left damnit!

You can't turn left coming south because there is no road there. You can turn left coming north, though.

spooky

Isn't the sign referring to E 22nd St, which is approximately 100 feet ahead on the left?

I realize it's not exactly opposite the signalized approach on the right, but it's pretty clear what the intent is.

empirestate

Quote from: spooky on April 04, 2019, 10:37:18 AM
Isn't the sign referring to E 22nd St, which is approximately 100 feet ahead on the left?

I realize it's not exactly opposite the signalized approach on the right, but it's pretty clear what the intent is.

I wonder why the restriction? (I think I can guess, but it seems excessive not to be time-based.)

More to the point, where's the redundancy? And also, how is it repetitive?

bzakharin

E 22nd Street has a separate no left turn sign at the actual intersection

empirestate

Quote from: bzakharin on April 04, 2019, 11:59:00 AM
E 22nd Street has a separate no left turn sign at the actual intersection

Oh...well, I guess that's redundant, if intentionally so. No different than an advance turn assembly followed by a junction assembly, really.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

Quote from: spooky on April 04, 2019, 10:37:18 AM

I would have to say it is considering there is another no left turn sign at the street and right under the no left turn sign on the light post it says E 22nd St.

US 89

I've posted the equivalent of this with US highways before, but this was the first I'd ever seen it with a state route:

Taken in Stansbury Park, Utah.

Hurricane Rex

Bad resolution, but 2 warnings of a curve within 200 feet of each other. Both have a right curve at 45 mph reccomended. Redundant as this one curve is the only one for the next 1.5 miles and was 2 signs really necessary for this?

GSW had not been updated to show both signs and both signs have been up for a year or so.

SM-J737T

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

csw

Perhaps they were having issues with drivers missing the turn, so they installed another sign. I've seen this a few times in Pennsylvania.

CardInLex

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on June 26, 2019, 05:27:11 PM
Bad resolution, but 2 warnings of a curve within 200 feet of each other. Both have a right curve at 45 mph reccomended. Redundant as this one curve is the only one for the next 1.5 miles and was 2 signs really necessary for this?

GSW had not been updated to show both signs and both signs have been up for a year or so.

SM-J737T

This is not redundant. It's allowed in the MUTCD standards for curves.

See page 111.

https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/pdfs/2009r1r2/part2c.pdf

kphoger

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on June 26, 2019, 05:27:11 PM
2 warnings of a curve within 200 feet of each other.

Quote from: CardInLex on June 27, 2019, 07:36:08 PM

See page 111.

I'm not seeing on Table 2C-4 (which page 111 suggests I should refer to for spacing guidelines) where less than 200 feet is specified for any speed limit dropping down to a 45mph warning sign situation.

Assuming I'm reading the chart correctly...

75 mph dropping to 45 mph = 550 feet
65 mph dropping to 45 mph = 400 feet
55 mph dropping to 45 mph = 275 feet
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

empirestate

Quote from: CardInLex on June 27, 2019, 07:36:08 PM

See page 111.

I don't follow..."redundant" and "allowed" aren't antonyms. Indeed, many redundant things aren't just allowed, but essential (such as a spare parachute).

Hurricane Rex

Its allowed I thought, but stuff that's allowed can be redundant.

SM-J737T

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

ErmineNotyours

Verlanka

sprjus4

Exit 1C on I-464 southbound in Chesapeake, VA, which is non-existent. There's only Exit 1B (I-64 East, Inner Loop) and 1A (I-64 West, Outer Loop), then it changes to Exit 15 (US-17 South) once it transitions onto VA-168 South.

plain

VDOT really wants you to know that this is the way to I-64 & VA 143

Images from GSV

SM-S820L

Newark born, Richmond bred

amroad17

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 28, 2019, 07:34:00 AM
Exit 1C on I-464 southbound in Chesapeake, VA, which is non-existent. There's only Exit 1B (I-64 East, Inner Loop) and 1A (I-64 West, Outer Loop), then it changes to Exit 15 (US-17 South) once it transitions onto VA-168 South.

This is a remnant of when VA 104 was still signed and the Oak Grove Connector was not yet built.  EXIT 1C was for VA 104 (the straight ahead movement).  Carbon copying does not help here.  VA 168 should also be added to the overhead signs.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

amroad17

Quote from: plain on June 28, 2019, 11:54:32 AM
VDOT really wants you to know that this is the way to I-64 & VA 143

Images from GSV

SM-S820L
VDOT has been doing this for 30-35 years, especially on divided arterials.  I guess they want to make sure both lanes see the signs.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Big John

^^ The school speed limit is either more enforceable or fines are higher in a school zone.  Probably had to put up a sign even though there is no reduction of speed.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Big John on June 30, 2019, 12:58:47 PM
^^ The school speed limit is either more enforceable or fines are higher in a school zone.  Probably had to put up a sign even though there is no reduction of speed.
I'm guessing it's related to the fact that cops tend to enforce speed limits more strictly in school zones (and work zones and speed traps) than elsewhere on the road, generally.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

mrsman

Another possibility is that the main speed limit was at one time higher, but then got reduced and they did not adjust the school speed limit sign.

I believe that it is confusing to have a school speed limit sign without a speed reduction.  They could have a sign that warns of the presence of a school, like the yellow pentagon sign, without mentioning the speed, since it is irrelevant.  [It seems the yellow pentagon sign is there, so the school speed limit should be removed.]

In my area, this is how it's done in areas where the main road is 25 all times (and no corresponding reduction is necessary since school zones are default at 25).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.