Unconventional street suffix abbreviations on signs

Started by Pink Jazz, November 17, 2014, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

I always liked X-way or Xway for expressway. I can't remember if I've ever seen that on a sign or not, but I almost think I have in my youth.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on November 19, 2014, 08:57:12 PM
I always liked X-way or Xway for expressway. I can't remember if I've ever seen that on a sign or not, but I almost think I have in my youth.

Would make me think cross-way.

Pete from Boston

I've seen it, but for the life of me can't remember where.

Kniwt

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 19, 2014, 02:16:06 PM
NJ Turnpike uses Cnty to abbreviate County.

12-year-old me approves of such a cnty abbreviation.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

empirestate

Quote from: vtk on November 19, 2014, 05:11:47 PM
Quote from: empirestate on November 19, 2014, 01:20:34 PM
Others I've seen are "Pky" for "Parkway" (can't think where, off hand) and "Avd" for "Avenida".

Census bureau's TIGER dataset uses Pky.  A lot of the cheaper maps you can buy are made from that data, so it wouldn't surprise me to see it there.

Possible, but I'm thinking I've seen it out in the field somewhere.

QuoteWhen I visited southern California in '06 I saw Avd for Avenida, and I wondered why it couldn't just be Ave.  Little chance of confusion with Avenue, because that's usually a suffix while Avenida is a prefix, and besides they mean the same thing anyway.

I don't think there's any reason other than that "Avd." is a Spanish word (albeit an abbreviated one) and "Ave." isn't.

Similarly, I believe the French abbreviation for "Boulevard" is "Boul.", whereas in English it's "Blvd."

mjb2002

I've seen BD used as a suffix  for Boulevard on older signs before.

Tom958

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 19, 2014, 09:54:32 PM

Long gone now, but apparently I-20 east of Atlanta was once known as the Southeast Expressway, and one sign abbreviated it as "SE XWAY."

cjk374

Quote from: Tom958 on November 24, 2014, 08:44:56 AM

Long gone now, but apparently I-20 east of Atlanta was once known as the Southeast Expressway, and one sign abbreviated it as "SE XWAY."

Scroll down this article to see another abbreviation for expressway:  http://phys.org/news/2012-10-shuttle-xing-endeavour-treks-la.html
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jakeroot

Quote from: cjk374 on November 28, 2014, 03:18:12 PM
Quote from: Tom958 on November 24, 2014, 08:44:56 AM

Scroll down this article to see another abbreviation for expressway:  http://phys.org/news/2012-10-shuttle-xing-endeavour-treks-la.html

mrsman

To clarify the above photo, there are small streets on either side of Sepulveda near LAX, Sepulveda Westway and Sepulveda Eastway.

route17fan

John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

sawblade5

I would like to nominate the "Sh Mn Pky" mileage signs that is on I-435 around Shawnee Mission Parkway in both directions. Multiple examples exist through here. Here's the shot of one of the signs: https://goo.gl/maps/anB5D It drives me nuts every time I see this sign of the poor suffixes and abbreviations. There's even one that says "Sh Msn Pk" (Which I think is now a Sign error on top of the other issue here now as it makes you think it's going to Shawnee Mission Park instead of Shawnee Mission Parkway) on I-435 SB on the Kaw River Bridge: https://goo.gl/maps/6hK9G that sign replaced the one that said "Sh Mn Pky" earlier this year: https://goo.gl/maps/EjS1H

I can't find of of this variation on I-35 or K-7 as it shows it properly on K-7 and as the Highways US-56-69 on I-35.

At one time Shawnee Mission Parkway was K-10 and was later K-12 when K-10 was realigned to the south. K-12 was decommissioned in the early 90s by KDOT when they were doing mass decommissioning of highways that only ran in the same county or city.
Chris Knight
Still south of Sawblade (Kansas) Route 5, but a little further South now!

Darkchylde

I snagged some pics of those awhile back, actually... though only one is visible enough for here given the perspective and distance.

1995hoo

If I had not seen this thread, I'd read that as guiding you to a park and I'd wonder why that part wasn't on a brown background. I would have no clue what the other two abbreviations meant. Classic example of a sign designed for people who already know the area, IMO. I would never have concluded "Msn" meant "Mission"; I'd probably have assumed it meant "Mason."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mrsman

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 04, 2014, 08:59:49 AM
If I had not seen this thread, I'd read that as guiding you to a park and I'd wonder why that part wasn't on a brown background. I would have no clue what the other two abbreviations meant. Classic example of a sign designed for people who already know the area, IMO. I would never have concluded "Msn" meant "Mission"; I'd probably have assumed it meant "Mason."

I agree "Sh Mn Pkwy" would be complete gibberish to me, unless I knew that I was near a famous landmark.  I'm not familiar with the Shawnee Mission.  I would recommend either using a smaller font or possibly two lines in order to get the whole word across.

But if I was in South Dakota, and I saw "Mt Rshmre Pkwy" I could probably figure it out.

vtk

I think "Mt Rmr Pky" would be more comparable to the example. But I think if I were visiting SD and I saw that, I'd probably get it.  Less likely if just Pk.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

freebrickproductions

Memorial Parkway is signed as "Mem'l Parkway" on most of the street signs. Other street signs say "Mem Parkway".
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

hbelkins

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 05, 2014, 09:54:02 AM
Memorial Parkway is signed as "Mem'l Parkway" on most of the street signs. Other street signs say "Mem Parkway".

Wouldn't that make more sense as "Memorial Pkwy?"

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: hbelkins on December 05, 2014, 01:33:31 PM

Yes, it would. Google labels the street that way as well. I also want to say that the old signs were that way too, but I can't say for sure. It's also signed that way on the BGSs.
I guess it's just Huntsville being Huntsville, considering the fact that most traffic lights around here use sign blanks as backgrounds and most street signs for streets with the "Boulevard" suffix have Blv. for the abbreviation.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

empirestate

Quote from: hbelkins on December 05, 2014, 01:33:31 PM

Reminds me of the time I saw Paula Poundstone in Rochester, and she joked about a sign she'd seen that read "University of Roch."

vegas1962

Quote from: vtk on November 19, 2014, 07:43:32 PM
Quote from: sammi on November 19, 2014, 05:24:35 PM
I think if "Avenida" needs to be abbreviated it should probably be "Av" (e.g. "Av. Rizal Av(e).").

It's one or the other, not both.  Avenida Queso and Cheese Avenue would be two completely different streets.

In Henderson, NV, less than a mile apart from each other you will find Green Valley Parkway and Valle Verde Drive.  Very close, but definitely different streets.

UCFKnights

route17fan

John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

ARMOURERERIC

Many years ago as a ute in Pittsburgh, back when it was black letters on white background with the suffix as a white on black vertical strip the were a few "OV" strips for oval.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.