News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unusual businesses on logo signs

Started by Pink Jazz, November 25, 2018, 05:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I was wondering, does anyone know of some examples of some unusual businesses on logo signs?

I know there is Main Event Entertainment on a Food logo sign in Avondale, Arizona, and I was recently in the Portland, Oregon area and I saw Chuck E Cheese's on a Food logo sign in Beaverton.  Are these restaurants or attractions?  Keep the kids entertained?

Does anyone know some other examples?

1995hoo

Maryland uses the blue logo signs for "attractions" in addition to gas/food/lodging. I've seen multiple golf courses' logos on those sorts of signs on I-270 and US-50. Can't say as I recall seeing golf courses on that sort of sign elsewhere.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 25, 2018, 05:16:43 PM
Maryland uses the blue logo signs for "attractions" in addition to gas/food/lodging. I've seen multiple golf courses' logos on those sorts of signs on I-270 and US-50. Can't say as I recall seeing golf courses on that sort of sign elsewhere.

Attractions was added in the 2000 MUTCD and is used by most states with logo signs.  I think different states set their own eligibility rules on attractions as long as they don't run afoul of the national MUTCD.  Maryland has its own state MUTCD, and perhaps in its state MUTCD they allow golf courses as an eligible category for attractions.

Now places like Main Event or Chuck E Cheese's blur the line between Food and Attractions.  I don't think they would qualify as attractions under state or federal guidelines, so they get Food signs.

ipeters61

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 25, 2018, 05:16:43 PM
If Seinfeld has taught me anything, those in Washington really like their golf: https://youtu.be/sMqt1uAxibw?t=192
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

US 89

Those in Washington also enjoy their wine:

1995hoo

You've prompted me to recall that wineries appear on blue signs in Virginia as well, using the "attractions" category. The sign here east of Linden lists our favorite winery: https://goo.gl/maps/JFdFbnx9BCE2
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Quote from: US 89 on November 25, 2018, 07:52:18 PM
Those in Washington also enjoy their wine:

And incorrect spelling, apparently.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman

New Hampshire lists state liquor stores on their Attractions signs.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

pdx-wanderer

There's a few food signs around Portland and Vancouver that show a sign for Fred Meyer Deli- not the grocery store itself, just the deli part! -- along with the usual McD's and Subway signs. A little odd. Don't know if it's still there but the Oregon State Capitol was at least at one point on an I-5 "attractions" sign.

djlynch

One of the signs on US 290 (Ben White Freeway) in Austin recently added a Target under "food."

Pink Jazz

It appears that Dave & Buster's is also participating in Arizona's logo sign program.

roadman

Quote from: djlynch on November 26, 2018, 09:06:53 PM
One of the signs on US 290 (Ben White Freeway) in Austin recently added a Target under "food."
Shortly after the Ikea in Stoughton (MA) opened, they applied for Food signs on Route 24.  Fortunately, the request was denied.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

ipeters61

Quote from: roadman on December 07, 2018, 10:47:22 AM
Shortly after the Ikea in Stoughton (MA) opened, they applied for Food signs on Route 24.  Fortunately, the request was denied.
There's nothing like going to the local drive thru Ikea!
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

kphoger

Quote from: ipeters61 on December 07, 2018, 12:01:43 PM

They do have awesome food, though.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ErmineNotyours

Ikea signed for food on SR-167, Renton, Washington.

I thought it was strange some years ago when Starbucks got logo signed, with the added legend "Now serving food."

US71

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 07, 2018, 11:15:38 PM

Ikea signed for food on SR-167, Renton, Washington.

I thought it was strange some years ago when Starbucks got logo signed, with the added legend "Now serving food."

IKEA
Restaurant
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SSR_317

Do any of Nevada's legal brothels have a logo panel (guess that would be listed under "Attractions")? There are a few such establishments located just off I-80 across the Silver State. Or would that be prohibited under the ever-changing state ban on "advertising" of said establishments?

jeffandnicole

Although there's no requirement the restaurant has to have a drive thru.  Mall Food Courts and sit-down restaurants (Ruby Tuesday, Applebees, etc) have been posted on these signs as well.

bob7374

Quote from: kphoger on December 07, 2018, 01:54:19 PM
They do have awesome food, though.
Probably because a lack of space on the Food and Lodging signs at the MA 139 exit farther north on MA 24, the 'Attractions' sign southbound includes a Wendy's logo and one for Courtyard by Marriott:
https://goo.gl/maps/pho49UPdXw12

I don't know if the town of Stoughton likes that a fast food restaurant or hotel are featured as 2 of the town's attractions.

SP Cook

I find these around WV to be odd:

- I-64, Exit 34 lists "Quilts by Phyllis", a local store selling, umm, quilts, perhaps as many as one a month, as an "attraction". 

- Both exits for White Sulphur Springs list The Greenbrier, a four star mega-expensive resort, as "lodging".  It in not like a traveler looking for a motel is going to say, yeah, $400.night for a room in the middle of nowhere WV, sure.

MNHighwayMan

There's no cost or business volume requirement to be posted on a logo sign.

roadfro

Quote from: SSR_317 on December 26, 2018, 11:48:47 AM
Do any of Nevada's legal brothels have a logo panel (guess that would be listed under "Attractions")? There are a few such establishments located just off I-80 across the Silver State. Or would that be prohibited under the ever-changing state ban on "advertising" of said establishments?

NDOT only really uses logo signs along freeways, and many legal brothels are not near freeways.

The only freeway that passes by any legal brothels is I-80, and I've never seen such a logo sign previously. (That doesn't mean they don't exist though...)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Roadgeekteen

Attraction signs have always been weird to me. Travelers normally plan these things out beforehand. Also, what counts as an "attraction"?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

thenetwork

I-70 in Eagle, CO:  Costco is listed on the Food logo signs (They also post the words "Food Court" with the logo). Obviously, you do not need to be a card carrying member of Costco to use their food court.  Fuel, on the other hand...

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on December 26, 2018, 12:50:16 PM

Probably because a lack of space on the Food and Lodging signs at the MA 139 exit farther north on MA 24, the 'Attractions' sign southbound includes a Wendy's logo and one for Courtyard by Marriott:
https://goo.gl/maps/pho49UPdXw12

I don't know if the town of Stoughton likes that a fast food restaurant or hotel are featured as 2 of the town's attractions.

The southbound Attractions sign in Stoughton was installed in the late 1990s as part of a FHWA pilot program.  This was before the Attractions category was officially adopted into the MUTCD (Massachusetts was one of the participating states).  Under this pilot program, certain businesses that would normally appear on regular service signs could be posted on Attractions signs if there were spacing or other constraints that precluded installing the full complement of service signs.  However, when this sign comes due for renewal, it will likely be replaced with a 'triple' sign panel similar to the LOGO sign on Route 3 south at Exit 5 in Plymouth.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 26, 2018, 07:05:35 PM
Attraction signs have always been weird to me. Travelers normally plan these things out beforehand. Also, what counts as an "attraction"?

From Section 2J.01 of the MUTCD:

QuoteThe attraction services shall include only facilities which have the primary purpose of providing
amusement, historical, cultural, or leisure activities to the public.

To qualify for an ATTRACTION logo sign panel, a facility should have:
1. Regional significance, in compliance with the provisions of Paragraph 6; and
2. Adequate parking accommodations.

The problem many states have with Attractions signs is the term "regional significance", which is subject to broad interpretation and can open up the program to applicants who really shouldn't be on the sign but aren't denied due to Warrant #12 (political).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.