STOP and YIELD at the same intersection

Started by kphoger, April 15, 2019, 04:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Have you ever seen this?

For example, there's this Yield sign on US-281 in Hardtner, KS.  It seems to only apply to traffic going straight or turning right, unless I'm interpreting things incorrectly.  Oncoming traffic and traffic from the left have Stop signs, traffic from the right has nothing.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Definitely not MUTCD compliant, and I see no reason for this sort of control at this intersection.

QuoteSection 2B.04 Right-of-Way at Intersections
. . .
11 Except as provided in Section 2B.09, STOP signs and YIELD signs shall not be installed on different approaches to the same unsignalized intersection if those approaches conflict with or oppose each other.

US 89

Also, if you look at the beacons above the intersection, there are flashing yellow beacons on two conflicting movements: traffic going straight and traffic from the right. If I'm not mistaken, the flashing yellow beacon is only supposed to be used for a movement with the right of way; traffic going straight here most certainly does not have the right of way, because of that yield sign. Honestly, the whole thing should just be a four-way stop IMO.

Does that MUTCD guideline also ban things like this, where the westbound traffic has a stop sign but eastbound has a yield?

jakeroot

Very similar situation in Arlington, VA (near Pentagon City). IIRC, there are now lane lines, plus a tiny gore area, between the yield and stop approaches to make the yield look more like a slip lane.

CYoder

In Bristol VA, the intersection of Meadow Dr and Long Crescent Rd contains 2 stops, 1 yield, and 1 unsigned approach.  It's... interesting.  (Not shown in GSV are new placards below the stop and yield signs indicating that westbound traffic has right of way.)

wxfree

Quote from: kphoger on April 15, 2019, 04:45:38 PM
Have you ever seen this?

For example, there's this Yield sign on US-281 in Hardtner, KS.  It seems to only apply to traffic going straight or turning right, unless I'm interpreting things incorrectly.  Oncoming traffic and traffic from the left have Stop signs, traffic from the right has nothing.

US 281 turns right there and functions as the "straight" maneuver.  My interpretation of that is that going straight is essentially a left turn, and requires yielding to traffic from the right.  There's a similar intersection not far from me, in which a state highway turns and the traffic going left has no sign, but in that case the other three approaches have stop signs, which is better, but still not ideal because a driver could assume that it's a four-way stop. 
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Revive 755

IIRC Rolla, MO used to have one or two intersections similar to the one in the first post.

sprjus4

Quote from: jakeroot on April 16, 2019, 01:10:35 AM
Very similar situation in Arlington, VA (near Pentagon City). IIRC, there are now lane lines, plus a tiny gore area, between the yield and stop approaches to make the yield look more like a slip lane.

Looking at older imagery, it appears that was the original intent.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8605118,-77.0674792,3a,75y,138.76h,69.69t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sDPCxyqJH2gx__c6-JuzhlA!2e0!5s20090701T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Big John

^^Similar to this: https://goo.gl/maps/MsnKmjU4fekz5FiR6

It used to be a signalized intersection with a raised island separating the movements.

jakeroot

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 12, 2019, 10:48:06 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 16, 2019, 01:10:35 AM

https://i.imgur.com/7D3Gwu2.png
Looking at older imagery, it appears that was the original intent.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8605118,-77.0674792,3a,75y,138.76h,69.69t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sDPCxyqJH2gx__c6-JuzhlA!2e0!5s20090701T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Thanks for the link. Never realized how clear that slip lane used to be. The newer painted gore area is nowhere near that large, but the yield sign remains.

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

jeffandnicole

NJDOT tried doing something similar - without the yield sign - at a newly constructed jughandle from NJ 73 South to Century Pkwy towards Fellowship Road: https://goo.gl/maps/CnB6zovtwqaZUQVy7 .  Last time I drove by though, a Stop Sign was put up on the free-flowing right turn lane, no doubt after hearing complaints from people that can't understand how NJDOT could've missed that stop sign.  Clearly, the traffic coming from the left had a stop sign as well, as shown in the pic.  I could only imagine that some of that traffic figured it was a 3 way stop and just kept going thru the intersection, hitting people that had the true right-of-way.

michravera

Quote from: kphoger on April 15, 2019, 04:45:38 PM
Have you ever seen this?

This is a fairly common practice in many suburban and exurban areas in California. It's really common to give a <YIELD> to the right turning traffic and a <STOP> to the straight ahead traffic, especially when the street that is being crossed or joined is wider than the street that is being controlled (so that right turning traffic often has a free lane into which to turn).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.