News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Blue Guide Signs

Started by BigMattFromTexas, October 12, 2009, 06:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

Ok you all know of those blue signs that say" FOOD, LODGING, GAS, or CAMPING". I usually only see those type of signs on Interstates, is that usual in your state? Because a couple of years ago TxDOT ou one of those on Houston Harte Expressway for Sherwood Way, then in 07 when i got back from Sea World :D I saw another one on South Loop 306 for Knickerbocker Rd, then later that year they put another one up about 30-45 feet away from the other one on Houston Harte Expswy, THEN earlier this year the first one in Angelo was removed but the other two are still there. The main question is, are these type of signs unusual on non Interstate signs, or is it just me?
BTW I'll try to get some pictures of the signs in San Angelo...
BigMatt

Ian

Today, most blue signs are ment for service signs, not anything else in all states. Though, original signs on some highways were different colors, like I believe the original Connecticut Turnpike signs were blue. But today, most signs that are blue are service signs. Though the guide signs at the Philadelphia Airport are blue. That counts, right?
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

TheStranger

I saw a blue "Gas - Next Four Exits" sign on Route 99 yesterday going north into South Sacramento...which I find kinda silly considering every single exit to surface streets from 15th Street in midtown where it is co-routed with US 50 and Business 80) all the way to Grant Line Road in Elk Grove has a gas station next to it, a distance of 15 miles.

The blue signs with brands of gas/etc. are used off of non-Interstate routes here as well, i.e. at the Route 152 interchange with the Casa De Fruta complex northeast of Hollister.
Chris Sampang

roadfro

Motorist services signs (blue guide signs) are probably most common on Interstates, because they are typically designed to indicate what services are available at the next exit.  They can be located on non-interstates, but their use is likely limited to freeway facilities.

I know of a couple on US 95 in northwestern Las Vegas, particularly for Cheyenne Avenue (exit 83) and Craig Road (exit 85).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Marc

The guide signs on the Westpark Tollway are purple:

Roadgeek Adam

The former alignment of NJ 65 around Newark Airport has blue signs instead of BGSs
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

US71

I've seen blue signs occasionally used for state parks or other attractions (as opposed to the standard brown signs)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Brandon

Blue guide signs are used on the local lanes of Highway 401 around Toronto.  The MTO uses green ones for the express lanes.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Duke87

Yeah, airports would be the key place to find nonstandard-colored guide signs.

JFK, for instance... they're color-coded according to terminal group, although over the years due to construction and reconstruction the system has changed somewhat.

Currently:
1/2/3: Green
4: Blue
5/6/7: Gray (with 5 and 6 in yellow squares and 7 in an orange square)
8: Red
(street view)

10-15 years ago:
4E/4W: Blue
5/6: Yellow
7/8/9: Red

As for blue service signs not on freeways... it happens. On NY 172 eastbound approaching NY 22, there's a sign indicating which direction various gas stations are in at the intersection. Of course, this sign is no doubt intended for people who followed the signs for the services off of I-684 (a mile or two to the west), so it's in relation to a freeway even if it isn't on or at one.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on October 13, 2009, 07:25:05 PM
JFK, for instance... they're color-coded according to terminal group, although over the years due to construction and reconstruction the system has changed somewhat.

Currently:
4: Blue
5/6/7: Gray (with 5 and 6 in yellow squares and 7 in an orange square)
8: Red

Supposed to be 5/6 yellow and 7 orange, and no gray.  But standards have, as you noted, been implemented inconsistently.

BigMattFromTexas

This is the type of sign Im talking about.
BigMatt

froggie

...which is what roadfro was referring to in his post.

mightyace

Quote from: BigMatt on October 13, 2009, 08:37:03 PM
This is the type of sign Im talking about.
BigMatt

I've seen them on non-interstate freeways like Saturn Parkway (TN 396) near Spring Hill, TN, but rarely if at all off of freeways, other than, of course, follow-up signs to the ones on the exit ramps.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

D-Dey65

Oh, it's not just airports. If you drive on the New Jersey Turnpike near the Ports of Newark & Elizabeth, you can see big blue signs over the roads in there.

No, I don't have any pics of those, and can't get them.

PAHighways

The Turnpike extensions in SWPA have blue guide signs with the fare schedule for the exits.  The ones along 66 had the shields for the intersecting route:  US 30, PA 136, etc.

BigMattFromTexas

This helped me figure out why there are some Logo signs on Houston Harte, Thanks to the local TxDOT Public Information Officer
BigMatt

roadfro

Quote from: BigMatt on October 14, 2009, 10:50:16 PM
This helped me figure out why there are some Logo signs on Houston Harte, Thanks to the local TxDOT Public Information Officer
BigMatt

The MUTCD has certain guidelines and standards for the implementation of motorist service/information signs, one of which is that the state adopt certain standards for allowing such logo signs to be used.  Some states have laws or administrative codes which govern the use of such signage--Texas (as linked above) and Nevada both define these in their administrative codes--while other state DOTs do this through official department policy.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.