News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"Super-4" freeways

Started by kurumi, October 15, 2009, 01:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

The CT 2 bypass at Foxwoods in Ledyard, CT (opened in summer 2009) is actually a "Super-4" freeway: 4 lanes, undivided, access fully controlled by interchanges.

Opening ceremony is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdOVxlllr5g&feature=channel_page

Super-4's are much more rare than Super-2's; Wikipedia lists only a few. Are there any in your area? (Any Super-6's or wider?)

[Fixed spelling in thread title. -S.]
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bugo

There's a short super 4 stretch in Clinton, MO.

agentsteel53

US-101 in northern California is technically a super-4 freeway.  It was built in the 1950s, when adding a solid median was not as much of a priority, and Cal Division of Highways never quite went back and added a Jersey barrier.

I-90 in Montana and I-5 in southern Oregon were super-4s until recently, when the median got Jersey barriers added.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

SSOWorld

The Mackinac Bridge borders along those lines (there is a hump in the middle IIRC - but that was in 1996 that I last saw it)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

Quote from: Master son on October 15, 2009, 11:37:06 AM
The Mackinac Bridge borders along those lines (there is a hump in the middle IIRC - but that was in 1996 that I last saw it)

It's still there but it certainly wouldn't keep a vehicle from crossing over into the other lane.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

The Bear Mountain Parkway somewhat fits that description. Although there are a few intersections along the way and the westernmost portion it's only 2 lanes.

The other older not fully grade-separated parkways in the Hudson Valley were also originally like that although they long ago were given "medians", even if it's just a flimsy guardrail with no left shoulder to speak of. The Bear Mountain Parkway was never actually finished and is now just a dinky northern bypass of Peekskill that handles 20000 AADT at best, so it still survives in its original state.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

One could make an argument (admittedly weak, but still there) that part of the Colonial Pkwy around Willimasburg, VA is a "Super-3"...

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: kurumi on October 15, 2009, 01:19:41 AM
The CT 2 bypass at Foxwoods in Ledyard, CT (opened in summer 2009) is actually a "Super-4" freeway: 4 lanes, undivided, access fully controlled by interchanges.

Yeah, how come that wasn't built divided?  With traffic going at interstate speeds (regardless of the speed limit) the chance of a bad accident and head-on collisions is really high.

Was it the NIMBYs?  I know with the 4-laning of CT-66 in Middlefield, the NIMBYs didn't want a divider.  Like a cement divider would ruin the landscape.  Idiots!  Anyway, the road curves and the likelyhood of a head-on collision is high.

Now all we need is the CT-2A Bypass to be built and we're all set.  The FEIS & ROD is done.  But, again the NIMBYs complain of traffic on CT-2A but they don't want a bypass because it'll ruin the town character....actually the bypass would imrpve their way of life.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Chris

What's the added value of a super-4 as opposed to a normal 4 lane freeway? The difference are only a barrier and maybe shoulders...

froggie

Smaller footprint, perhaps, so it'll fight in a tighter ROW.

roadfro

Quote from: Chris on October 18, 2009, 03:14:02 PM
What's the added value of a super-4 as opposed to a normal 4 lane freeway? The difference are only a barrier and maybe shoulders...

A super-2 or super-4 seems like a good way to implement a freeway-grade facility prior to a full freeway being constructed.  It'd be especially desirable if grade separation is desired at the junctions, to avoid dangerous situations that could occur at signalized intersections.

It might be especially helpful in situations where the DOT knows a future freeway is needed, but either the traffic volumes don't warrant full freeway or budget issues don't allow construction of full freeway facilities in the short term.  In such cases, the lanes of the super-2 or super-4 can be built on what would ultimately be a single direction of the freeway mainline, with fewer overpasses built in the interim.

Part of me wishes that the interim facilities on the Las Vegas Beltway had been built in a super-4 configuration.  Many sections, especially on the northern segment, were built as a four lane expressway--four lanes undivided with signals at future interchanges.  When the county goes back to upgrade this to a freeway, they have to realign the cross street while a bridge is constructed in phases--which seems like more work than having just built the bridge in the first place.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.