News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

HOV lane signage

Started by myosh_tino, October 25, 2009, 06:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UptownRoadGeek

haljackey

Here;s what they look like around here:

Direction signs:

Exit lane forming:

Buffer zone:

"Weave" zone:  (left side only)

architect77

Quote from: Bryant5493 on October 28, 2009, 10:04:23 AM
New I-75 HOV signage (Clayton County, Ga.):

Be well,

Bryant
Could it be true? Has Georgia comes to its senses and quit using that skinny typeface? Hurray!, I may have to move back down there!

Hellfighter

Sadly, the only HOV area in the State.

architect77

Georgia's larger "HOV EXIT" tabs are a direct result of that horrific bus crash when the bus driver mistook an Hov left exit sign for a simple lane "shifting over a little" sign as is common in Southern California (I-10 for example). That accident underscores the importance of standards and continuity in highway signage.

North Carolina's first HOV lanes are somewhat peculiar. I don't care for the + symbol even though it makes perfect sense, and I drove this section of I-77 north of Charlotte and I remember it having one very long access opportunity but no more for its entire length.

Bryant5493

Quote from: architect77Could it be true? Has Georgia comes to its senses and quit using that skinny typeface? Hurray!, I may have to move back down there!

Those newer signs in that photo are around the areas where there's new HOV signage, not anywhere else. Though, they could spread to more locations.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Hellfighter

Quote from: Bryant5493 on October 31, 2009, 10:57:16 AM
Quote from: architect77Could it be true? Has Georgia comes to its senses and quit using that skinny typeface? Hurray!, I may have to move back down there!

Those newer signs in that photo are around the areas where there's new HOV signage, not anywhere else. Though, they could spread to more locations.

Be well,

Bryant

I always say that the contractor messed up the default font in Word, and that's why Georgia's signs are all screwed up!  :-D

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: architect77 on October 31, 2009, 12:23:47 AM

North Carolina's first HOV lanes are somewhat peculiar. I don't care for the + symbol even though it makes perfect sense, and I drove this section of I-77 north of Charlotte and I remember it having one very long access opportunity but no more for its entire length.

I don't see what's so peculiar about that... What else would you use besides the + to denote two or more? And as for the restricted access, also perfectly normal. Our HOV lanes here on I-64 have one entrance, and then 9 miles later an exit. And the HOV lanes on I-84 east of Hartford, CT are similar: Heading eastbound you have one entrance, and a few HOV-only exits to surface streets, before a few miles later an exit back onto the I-84 mainline. The point of HOV lanes is not to be entirely accessible.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

njroadhorse

There's full signage for the HOV lanes on I-279 North out of Pittsburgh, but I never see them open! :pan:
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

NJRoadfan

NJ's only HOV lanes. The signs that used to be on I-287 and I-80 were pretty much the same.

roadfro

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 01, 2009, 09:22:29 AM
...The point of HOV lanes is not to be entirely accessible.

Not quite. The goal of HOV lanes is to encourage multiple-occupant vehicles, thereby reducing congestion.

However, limiting or restricting access to an HOV lane reduces weaving and merging conflicts with regular traffic, in theory reducing congestion and delay for vehicles in the HOV lane. Highway planners implement such designs in an effort to entice motorists to use carpool using HOV lanes.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

deathtopumpkins

Well that is the ultimate goal, yes, but you get my point.  ;-) They have no significant benefit over the regular travel lanes if one can move freely in-and-out.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.