News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Widest Highway/Freeway in your City?

Started by Road Warrior, February 23, 2009, 08:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

clarification to # of lanes in Milwaukee - I-43 has 4, 5 including the aux lanes
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

wandering drive

In Madison, WI, just south of the interchange of I-39/90/94, US-151 and High Crossing Blvd, the interstate has three lanes each way, plus two auxiliary lanes (is that the right term?) northbound for the three exits and two lanes southbound -- one from High Crossing Blvd and one from US-151 - for a total of 10 lanes.
If that doesn't count, then the most general-purpose lanes we have is three each way.

SSOWorld

collector/distributer is the correct term.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

wandering drive

Ah, that makes perfect sense.  Thanks!

CMHroads

In Columbus on the I-270 Outerbelt, there is a stretch that is 12 lanes wide counting the C/D lanes to/from the OH161 freeway.  I-270 on the north side is 10 lanes wide for a time.  This is total of course, not each way.   :)

BigMattFromTexas

In my town (San Angelo, Tx) the widest highway (U.S 87) is 8 lanes

roadfro

A portion of US 95 in Las Vegas is currently the widest freeway in Nevada.  From I-15 north (west) to Summerlin Pkwy/Rainbow Blvd is 4 lanes + 1 HOV lane + 1 auxiliary lane, or a total of 12 lanes.  Runner-up would be I-15 south of US 95, with 4 lanes and an auxiliary in each direction.  Other freeway segments in Las Vegas are being planned (or are under construction) to be at least 10 lanes in the future.

Up north, Reno's US 395 widens out to 4 lanes SB/3 lanes NB + an auxiliary in each direction just south of I-80, for 9 total lanes (although the 4-lane part is really 3 lanes with a fourth shoehorned in at the expense of shoulders).  A portion of I-80 east of US 395 has a short section with the same setup.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

rmsandw

the state route has a center turn lane in part of it in my town...
http://roads.billburmaster.com  Roads of the Mid-South & West
http://www.youtube.com/user/rmsandw YouTube Channel
http://www.billburmaster.com

tdindy88

In Indianapolis, the widest interstate is Interstate 70 west of Interstate 465 on the westside outside the new Indianapolis International Airport terminal. There the highway is 14 lanes wide (including c/d lanes, 6 thru lanes, 8 c/d lanes). This is very impressive for Indiana standards and the highway. Interstate 70 just east of downtown is about 10 lanes wide, all thru lanes, and Interstate 465 on the eastside is at one point 12 lanes wide. The only other places in Indiana the highway is this wide is in Northwest Indiana and outside Louisville.

ComputerGuy

6 lanes all-general purpose plus 3 for express = I-5 in Seattle

yacoded

The widest road in Hartford gets up to 12 lanes and it is the split between I-84 and CT-15.
Why can't we just connect everything and everbody

mrivera1

I-15 in San Diego at MP 12 to MP 13 (CA-163 to Miramar Way), is at about 16 lanes across...plus the two express lanes for a total of 18 lanes.  They add more lanes every year, so it always changes.  I know the I-5/I-805 merge also has a lot of lanes as well...I can't remember because I rarely ever get out that way. 

Hard to believe that in 2003, the fire was able to jump the I-15 freeway and go from one side to the other...at the time it had about 16 lanes...
Why did Caltrans kill the US highways?  If you're smart, you'll know where you're going.  Too bad we have too many stupid people, and yes, Miss Talking on Cell Phone While Cutting Across the Freeway to Make Her Exit at 85mph, I'm talking about you.

Chris

^^ It's also the busiest San Diego freeway now. 302,000 AADT.

Voyager

Wow! I think that's even higher than any highway here.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Chris

^^ That's correct, the busiest freeway in the San Francisco Bay Area is the I-80 near Emeryville (just north of I-880) at 294,000 AADT. The San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge carries 251,000 AADT. The Golden Gate Bridge carries 118,000 AADT.

BigMattFromTexas

the second widest in San Angelo is Sherwood Way that is now seven lanes

golden eagle

I-55 is eight lanes throughout much of north Jackson.

CL

Let's see ... counting the collector-distributors, you'll find around eighteen-ish lanes (five on each direction of the mainline, up to four on each collector) on I-15 at the I-80/SR 201 interchange.
Infrastructure. The city.

Hellfighter

The largest in my area would have to be I-96 between W. Outer Drive and W. Davison Avenue in the city of Detroit. That portion of Freeway has a total of 12 lanes, which are divided in 3 express lanes and 3 local lanes on each side.

signalman

I-80 is 8 lanes wide in most of my town.  It narrows to 6 going west, the right lane becomes exit only for NJ 15 NB.  It widens to 8 going east.  It actually briefly widens to 5 lanes east bound, as NJ 15 dumps 2 lanes on to 80 EB.  The fifth lane becomes exit only for my exit.  It can be challenging during times of heavy traffic entering from 15, and I'm EB on 80 and trying to exit as I have about 1/4 mile to get over two lanes to be in the exit lane.   

Chris

I've driven this freeway last weekend. It's the A15/A16, with 16 lanes the widest freeway in the Netherlands.

Mike_OH

In the greater Cincinnati area there is one stretch of 10-lane highway on I-71/I-75 in Northern Kentucky near Florence and the I-275 junction.  Although, there is currently work being done to widen I-275 in the Northern part of the area.  It should be 10 lanes when finished.

xcellntbuy

South Florida is an interesting conglomoration of three large urban counties of 7 million people who live here year-round.  During the "season," which for those of you who do not live here is from about two weeks prior to Thanksgiving until Easter (mid-November to mid-April) and the area's population can jump to 15 million or more.

Nearly all major thoroughfares are 6 lanes wide for travel, one or two left-turn lanes and a right turn lane at every intersection, plus a wide landscaped median.  Many "side streets" are also four lanes, also with medians and at least one left and right turning lane for intersections.

Palm Beach County has several 8-lane main thoroughfares, Okeechobee Blvd (FL 704) from downtown West Palm Beach to the suburbs in Royal Palm Beach is almost all paved for 8 lanes.  US 441/FL 7 (Range Line Road) has been expanded from 2 lanes to 4, 6 or 8 lanes through West Boca Raton, 30 miles north to its current terminus at Okeechobee Blvd.  When I moved here in 1998, US 441/FL 7 was a very narrow 2-lane road between Yamato Road (FL 794) and Southern Blvd. (US 98/FL 80) with wild sugarcane, lots of Australian pines and nearly nothing developed beyond a few farms, religious colonies and a poorly maintained canal following the northbound lane.

Even with our 8-, 10-, 12- and 14-lane sections Interstate 95 from downtown Miami to Palm Beach Gardens (80 miles), the soon-to-be-expanded Interstate 595 from 6 to 10 or 12 lanes in Broward County with HOT lanes, an 8-10-lane Interstate 75 and a widening of the Florida's Turnpike, no road in south Florida is ever wide enough!

Mark Alan

Marc

Obviously... the Katy Freeway. I travel on it everyday.

deathtopumpkins

Noticed on my morning commute today that I-64 is 14 lanes wide between US-258 and I-664 in Hampton, VA (counting accel/decel lanes).

And US-258 (Mercury Blvd.) is a 10-lane wide street. A very congested 10-lane street.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.