News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Reversible Lane Roads

Started by Tomahawkin, May 04, 2009, 11:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAL764

We have some of those in Hamburg as well. The street An der Alster is a 5-lane street, though one northbound lane is separated from the other lanes. Usual traffic is 2 lanes southbound and 3 northbound, with 3 south and 2 north normally being used for around 3 hours during the early morning rush hour.

Connecting from the north is the 2-lane Sierichstrasse, which is limited to city-bound traffic from 4 am till noon, and suburbs-bound traffic from noon till 4 am.

Voyager

The Golden Gate Bridge uses reversible roads.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Fcexpress80

It's been awhile since I've been there, but the Vancouver, BC area had two sections of BC-99 that have reversible lanes.  The first involves the four lane tunnel under the main channel of the Frasier River.  During commute times, the configuration goes from 2/2 to 3/1.  Eventually, I would think that another 4 lane tunnel along side the existing will eliminate this. 

The other is the odd arrangement through Stanley Park and across the Lions Gate Narrows suspension bridge where the roadway is three lanes.  Throughout the day, the arrangement switches from 2/1 to 1/2 and back again.  A solution to this would be to build a twin bridge or totally replacing the existing bridge with a roadway of at least six lanes.

Interstate 90 in the Seattle area also had a reversible lane system, that went from 2/2 to 3/1 during the commutes until the new roadway was built about 20 years ago. 

ComputerGuy

I-90's lanes are being replaced by light rail.

Alps

Newark, NJ had reversible lanes on Broad St. and Raymond Blvd.  Something about redistributing traffic patterns made that obsolete, but I'm not sure what.  Broad St. was 2/2/2 and Raymond was 1/2/1, where the middle slash represented reversible.  Now they're split down the middle 3/3 and 2/2.  I have a couple of Broad St. photos from the old days at http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/nj/broad_st.  Definitely a mess.  Oh, and NJ 495 has a reversible bus lane on the WB side.

deathtopumpkins

D'oh! No one's mentioned I-64's reversible HOV lanes in Norfolk on this thread...  :love:
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

deathtopumpkins

Oh but ones on freeways have been brought up. ;)
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 06, 2009, 09:57:58 PM
QuoteThat seems to be common for special events.

When NASCAR races at Pocono Speedway, the two-lane PA 115 between I-80 and the track is turned to 3 lanes inbound (southbound) before the race and 3 lanes outbound (northbound) after the race.

Talladega does that with Speedway Blvd. from the two I-20 exits to the track.  At peak, it's all inbound or outbound but they re-open opposing direction lanes as traffic dies down.
I know that they do that for Meadowbridge Rd for the races at Richmond(at least before the rece, probably afterwards too)

They also do this on US-29 after the races in Charlotte leaving Lowe's Motor Speedway.

njroadhorse

I-279 in Pittsburgh has reversible HOV lanes on the North Side of the city.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Mr_Northside

I'm pretty sure a section of US 31E-US-150 / Bardstown Rd. in Louisville (between downtown and I-264) is set up with configurablel lanes.  I'm not sure if they reverse, or if one just becomes a left-turn lane (for both directions).

Since I'm only ever on it one Sunday a year, I can't say I've ever seen it in operation.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Louisville,+KY&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=49.357162,79.013672&ie=UTF8&ll=38.236697,-85.717864&spn=0.024101,0.054932&z=15&layer=c&cbll=38.236652,-85.717759&panoid=IG_8BN1g6Wr-5Urim4MkOw&cbp=12,316.46,,0,-7.37

(I chose that spot because, on the right side of the road, is La Bamba (whose slogan is "burritos as big as your head"), which while not much to look at, is a place I wholly recommend.  It's become part of the annual Lebowskifest weekend ritual)

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

travelinmiles

Most freeways in the Houston area have a reversible HOV Lane.

Bickendan

I-5 in Seattle's been mentioned, but it's probably one of the best examples, since it has a quad-carriageway section from I-90 to downtown then the tri-carriageway north from there.

4-3-4-4 config just north of I-90: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=47.599772,-122.322236&spn=0.001009,0.001743&t=k&z=19

4-4-4 configuration, with the center four reversing depending on the time of day:

At the quad-tri transition: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=47.603852,-122.327246&spn=0.001009,0.001743&t=k&z=19 Note the movable barrier.

North of Freeway Park: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=47.613832,-122.330076&spn=0.001009,0.001743&t=k&z=19
The reversible express lanes are under the northbound lanes.

Between the Mercer Shuffle exits: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=47.632696,-122.324224&spn=0.004034,0.006974&t=k&z=17

Southern end of the Lake Union Bridge, a double deck bridge with the express lanes on bottom: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=47.64766,-122.321477&spn=0.004033,0.006974&t=k&z=17

Northern end of express lanes: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=47.703538,-122.329668&spn=0.002014,0.003487&t=k&z=18

SSOWorld

Chicago's Kennedy Expressway (third carriageway)
I-394 in Minneapolis (HOT) (third carriageway)
Ben Franklin, Commodore Barry, Betsy Ross, and Walt Whitman Bridges in Philadelphia (zipper barrier)
Lincoln Tunnel in NYC/NJ (third carriageway)
Tappan Zee Bridge (little to no physical separation)
Liberty Bridge, Pittsburgh (no physical separation whatsoever!)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

rickmastfan67

Greentree Road here in Pgh is also reversible (part of it is PA-121 as well)

jdb1234

The Leroy Selmon Expressway in Tampa, FL has an upper deck that contains reversible lanes.

golden eagle

Quote from: Tomahawkin on May 04, 2009, 11:50:19 PM
U.S. 78 East of Atlanta uses them as well, but I think that they are endangered as well...Also I believe that I have seem them in the Northeast as well...

That's where I had an accident five years ago (see "Car accident" thread).

jjakucyk

There used to be a lot of them here in Cincinnati.  Most of them were relatively short and narrow stretches of older major roads where they climb out of the major river valleys.  The only one that remains is on the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge between Cincinnati and Covington.  Because of the bridge's sorted history (it's partially built on the old piers of the adjacent C&O Railway Bridge), it's only 3 lanes wide, so the center lane is reversible. 

Many of the other reversible lanes have been removed within the last 10 years.  Here's the ones I know about.

Columbia Parkway east of Columbia-Tusculum
5 total lanes re-striped as 3 lanes inbound and 2 lanes outbound.

Beechmont Avenue from OH-32 to Mt. Washington
Widened from 3 lanes total to 5 with a dedicated left turn lane

Queen City Avenue
3 lane section partially abandoned and rerouted to a new 4 lane bypass

Western Hills Viaduct, lower deck
3 total lanes re-striped as 2 lanes westbound and 1 lane eastbound (I think...it could be the other way around)

Hopple Street between the Hopple Street Viaduct and I-75
Widened significantly, not sure how it was configured originally

Alps

Yanksfan6129 was telling me Australia has a fully reversible freeway - the other direction has to use surface roads.

EDIT:  M-2

mgk920

I remember that many years ago, several Chicago city streets also had reversible lanes.  A segment of North Lake Shore Drive also once had a 2+2+2+2 reversible setup.

Mike

hm insulators

As mentioned earlier, 7th Street and 7th Avenue in Phoenix have reversible lanes; I live just off of 7th Street as a matter of fact. There's quite a lot of bickering going on over whether or not to eliminate these reversible lanes, called "suicide lanes" by their critics.

Turning to Hawaii, I believe at least one stretch of the H1 Freeway in or near Honolulu has reversible lanes. And on the island of Kauai, I think Kuhio Highway (Hawaii 56) between Lihue and Kapaa has reversible lanes. Even back in the early 1980s when I lived on Kauai, Kuhio Highway was often quite congested; I understand it's much worse now.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Alps

Quote from: hm insulators on September 09, 2009, 05:08:02 PM
Turning to Hawaii, I believe at least one stretch of the H1 Freeway in or near Honolulu has reversible lanes. And on the island of Kauai, I think Kuhio Highway (Hawaii 56) between Lihue and Kapaa has reversible lanes. Even back in the early 1980s when I lived on Kauai, Kuhio Highway was often quite congested; I understand it's much worse now.

All correct.  Kuhio Highway also manages to maintain the channelized left-turn lanes so that you only have to wait for one direction of traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.