News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

ODOT new traffic light design?

Started by 6a, June 11, 2011, 05:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6a

The first time I saw these was along US 33 near Lancaster, so I thought they were installed at high-crash intersections.  Lately though, it seems like there is a wholesale replacement going on.  Several new items: Black lights, yellow border, wire on the bottom to hold them together during tornadoes  :) (always thought that was a good idea anyway.)

Is there indeed a new leaf being turned at ODOT regarding the old, yellow, swingin' in the wind standbys?  Just an ODOT thing, and not expanding to the cities?

HighwayMaster

I think so. They're popping up here in Northeast Ohio as well.
Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

mukade

The same type can be seen on US 31 in Hamilton County, IN.

Ian

These are indeed the new ODOT standard. I was informed of this by a signal technician in New Philadelphia that ODOT has recently switched to using black signals with backplates that feature the reflective yellow tape around it. Here is one I have photographed in West Lafayette:

ODOT is also going to start using red arrows in their left turn signals.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alex

Saw a similar configuration (sans the bottom supporting span wire) on US 41 northbound between Henderson and Evansville, Indiana.

agentsteel53

for the two rightmost lights: during the red phase, do both top bulbs illuminate red?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 11, 2011, 06:27:07 PM
for the two rightmost lights: during the red phase, do both top bulbs illuminate red?

They sure do. Here is a similar situation in Follansbee, WV:
Youtube l Flickr

6a

I have to say, they are a hell of a lot easier to see.

Quote from: PennDOTFan on June 11, 2011, 06:15:16 PM

I thought that was generally frowned upon (not that anyone pays attention...)?  I do like that though, if only because it appeases my inner OCD about things matching.

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 11, 2011, 06:27:07 PM

Likewise, there's a similar setup on Naper Blvd at Plank Rd in Naperville, IL.  One of the signals in each direction has two reds.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

HighwayMaster

Where did you hear this?

mgk920

The yellow outline was added as an option in the latest MUTCD, but I wished that they'd chosen white (like is standard in much of Europe).

Mike

mightyace

Sevierville, TN has this one I photographed at the intersection of "The Parkway" where it intersects US 411.  US 441 makes a left turn here from The Parkway to start a wrong way multiplex with US 411.

20110321 The Parkway @ US 411-441 & TN 66 Sevierville TN by mightyace, on Flickr
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Brandon

Quote from: mgk920 on June 11, 2011, 09:58:35 PM
The yellow outline was added as an option in the latest MUTCD, but I wished that they'd chosen white (like is standard in much of Europe).

Mike

Why?  White is Regulatory, yellow is Warning.  I'd say Warning fits the bill better than Regulatory, and I hate the Euro signage anyway.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Ian

Quote from: HighwayMaster on June 11, 2011, 07:50:35 PM

Where did you hear this?

As I said in my post, I heard it from a signal technician in New Philadelphia.

There are a few signals in the northern suburbs of Philadelphia that feature signals with a white outline on their backplates.
Youtube l Flickr

mgk920

Quote from: Brandon on June 12, 2011, 07:48:49 AM

Mike

Why?  White is Regulatory, yellow is Warning.  I'd say Warning fits the bill better than Regulatory, and I hate the Euro signage anyway.

IMHO, a retro-reflective white line (especially with a black outline around it) around a black signal back-plate is more visible and distinctive that a retro-reflective yellow line.  Also, a yellow line could more easily 'disappear' into the rest of the signaling.  There is, after all, a yellow light on most signal standards, but very, very few with white lights.

Mike

6a

It sounds obvious, but with the pace these lights are being replaced I can't help noticing the gaps where there are improvements planned. US 23 & SR 665/317 is a fine example, but I'm wondering if ODOT isn't leaving a code behind as far as what's to come by leaving old traffic lights hanging.

HighwayMaster

Quote from: PennDOTFan on June 12, 2011, 05:00:05 PM
Quote from: HighwayMaster on June 11, 2011, 07:50:35 PM

Where did you hear this?

As I said in my post, I heard it from a signal technician in New Philadelphia.

Cool. I hope he's right.

Ian

Quote from: HighwayMaster on June 15, 2011, 09:02:34 PM
Cool. I hope he's right.

To be honest, I could care less which sticks around. I'm used to seeing the red ball used for the left turn signals here in Pennsylvania, It'd be odd to see it here (not counting Philadelphia, which already uses it), but I wouldn't mind it because I see it everywhere else.
Youtube l Flickr

Revive 755

Quote from: Brandon on June 11, 2011, 07:16:00 PM
Likewise, there's a similar setup on Naper Blvd at Plank Rd in Naperville, IL.  One of the signals in each direction has two reds.

Awfully far off the road there:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Plank+Road,+Naperville,+IL&aq=0&sll=41.831264,-88.088894&sspn=0.052506,0.132093&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Plank+Rd,+Naperville,+Illinois&ll=41.791985,-88.118205&spn=0.026269,0.066047&z=15&layer=c&cbll=41.792244,-88.118412&panoid=3Eg-MINUNrFKd2bnSUiS5A&cbp=12,155.49,,0,-5.5

Not sure it's really needed there given only a 40 mph speed limit, mostly decent visibility, and the presence of an advanced warning flasher (at least for SB).

brownpelican

They've shown up in Louisiana too during signal replacements.

Brandon

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 15, 2011, 10:16:26 PM
Quote from: Brandon on June 11, 2011, 07:16:00 PM

Awfully far off the road there:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Plank+Road,+Naperville,+IL&aq=0&sll=41.831264,-88.088894&sspn=0.052506,0.132093&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Plank+Rd,+Naperville,+Illinois&ll=41.791985,-88.118205&spn=0.026269,0.066047&z=15&layer=c&cbll=41.792244,-88.118412&panoid=3Eg-MINUNrFKd2bnSUiS5A&cbp=12,155.49,,0,-5.5

Not sure it's really needed there given only a 40 mph speed limit, mostly decent visibility, and the presence of an advanced warning flasher (at least for SB).

The signal is hidden behind a curve in both directions, and people rarely go 40mph on Naper.  More like 50mph.  In fact, around the curves, before the signal, there is a sign that warns "PREPARE TO STOP WHEN FLASHING" with a flashing yellow light on top that turns on when the signal is yellow or red.

HighwayMaster

Quote from: PennDOTFan on June 15, 2011, 09:06:21 PM
Quote from: HighwayMaster on June 15, 2011, 09:02:34 PM
Cool. I hope he's right.

To be honest, I could care less which sticks around. I'm used to seeing the red ball used for the left turn signals here in Pennsylvania, It'd be odd to see it here (not counting Philadelphia, which already uses it), but I wouldn't mind it because I see it everywhere else.
Believe me, if you lived here, you'd see why I want left arrows.

MDOTFanFB

Sorry to bump this, but I also saw an installation back in January of this year at the end of the ramp from I-280 to OH 795 southeast of Toledo:

busman_49

Also, I've noticed that most of the new lights Ohio DOT are putting up ate polycarbonate, which surprised me.

surferdude

l also saw them around the outskirts of youngstown and warren.  It was a good way to highlight the light

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.